Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jamil's

Northeast OKC Jamil's

My wife wanted to go to Jamil's for her birthday. Neither of us have been there but always heard good things about it. However, it has mixed reviews on Yelp and Urbanspoon but not many recent reviews. Anyone been there lately and your thoughts on the place?

Default Re: Jamil's

I guess I'll give my own review since we went last evening. Okay, past it's prime but funky in sorta a good way. The appetizers they lead with, the tabuli, hummus, etc were good with exception of cabbage rolls--cold, not a good filling. One bite and done. Pita bread was excellent. Steaks were good. Tender and cooked just right. If you want a baked potato for your side dish, you're good. No other choice. Very, very, very overpriced for what you got. With a glass of wine each, came to almost $100 for two. We can say we've been there but will likely never go back. I think Cattleman's has better steaks at much more afordable price. Many other better steak places in the metro. Despite generally a pleasant experience, not sure I'd recommend it as a first choice.

I would go to Jamil's over Cattleman's, but I would go to tons of other steak places before Jamil's, too. Red Prime is definitely the best.

red prime is my favorite steak place in the city, with that said if you google search how to cook a perfect steak you can make a better for alot cheaper. people are afraid of steaks because of the price, but unless you over cook one its actually kinda hard to mess one up.

red prime is still a great place and our go-to for a very nice non do it yourself dinner.

I go to Jamil's often.. maybe once every two weeks or so for lunch. It's a favorite of our state legislators. It's fun to go there just to eavesdrop on some of the conversations between lobbyists and legislators. The menu probably hasn't changed very much in 20-30 years. It's your standard Oklahoma Lebanese steakhouse fare--think a slightly scaled down version of Michael's. My favorite thing on the menu is the salmon. It's just excellent. If you're into burgers, they have some pretty classic options. Nothing S&Bish by any stretch.

Jamil's feels like a piece of Oklahoma history, and I guess to some extent it is. If you want a dining experience straight out of the 80s, it's the place to go. That's not anything negative. The food is just fine. The menu is safe and familiar. That's sometimes a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I go to Jamil's often.. maybe once every two weeks or so for lunch. It's a favorite of our state legislators. It's fun to go there just to eavesdrop on some of the conversations between lobbyists and legislators. The menu probably hasn't changed very much in 20-30 years. It's your standard Oklahoma Lebanese steakhouse fare--think a slightly scaled down version of Michael's. My favorite thing on the menu is the salmon. It's just excellent. If you're into burgers, they have some pretty classic options. Nothing S&Bish by any stretch.

Jamil's feels like a piece of Oklahoma history, and I guess to some extent it is. If you want a dining experience straight out of the 80s, it's the place to go. That's not anything negative. The food is just fine. The menu is safe and familiar. That's sometimes a good thing.
    I agree with Midtowner. Good food, friendly ownership. Combine it with another weekend night at Junior's and you'd have a double-retro dining experience. Not much changes at either place, but the secrets those places could tell, if only walls could talk.

Longstar and Saltgrass has way better steaks.

When I was a young man in the late 60's and early 70's I thought Jamil's and Eddy 's were quite sophisticated and rather expensive.

But that was at a time when dining out was still pretty rare for a rural Oklahoma boy and the world was a lot smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    When I was a young man in the late 60's and early 70's I thought Jamil's and Eddy 's were quite sophisticated and rather expensive.

But that was at a time when dining out was still pretty rare for a rural Oklahoma boy and the world was a lot smaller.
    The only time I ever ate at Jamil's was back in the mid-70's and I felt exactly the same way. I remember that I liked it and that there was nothing among their appetizers that I had ever eaten before. I don't recall that it seemed way out of line price-wise but for whatever reason I never made a return visit. I have no idea why . . . Of course, today there are dozens and dozens of attractive dining establishments to choose from so . . .

My wife's employer had a company dinner at Junior's not long ago, and she said it seemed to be a very expensive place. I guess people are willing to pay for old-time, timeless quality that never goes out of style. For any restaurant to last as long as they have they must be doing something right.

Oh! Just for comparison's sake, the only $100-plus (for two) places I've been to around here would be Nikz at The Top, Gabriella's and Deep Fork. I thought all three provided a great dining value. Unfortunately, only one of those three remains in business. (Today I think one of the best dining values in town is the restaurant at Platt College, Chefs di Domani. They are still around, aren't they? =)

I don't precisely remember my wage in 1967-68 but I think it was about $1.00 per hour or a little more. I also don't recall exactly what I spent at Jamil's for me and my date but pretty sure it took me a couple of days labor to buy it. That seemed a lot at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    I don't precisely remember my wage in 1967-68 but I think it was about $1.00 per hour or a little more. I also don't recall exactly what I spent at Jamil's for me and my date but pretty sure it took me a couple of days labor to buy it. That seemed a lot at the time.
    It was a lot. Just like--at least in my opinion--$100 for 2 (before the tip) is a lot. Of course, back in '67 gasoline was about $0.27 a gallon so I suppose it's all relative. =) Sometimes it's worth it to splurge . . . yet only if the cost/value balance is right.

For anyone interested in trying out Jamil's they have a Groupon promotion which just came out.

Quote Originally Posted by bhawes View Post
    Longstar and Saltgrass has way better steaks.
    You can eat local and do much better than either of those.

Especially if you factor-in the cost of the dilithium crystals for the warp drive to get to Longstar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    You can eat local and do much better than either of those.
    Agreed, but they were comparing steaks at Jamil's to Lonestar and Saltgrass. On that, they are probably correct. If they had been comparing Lonestar and Saltgrass to Mahogany, Red, MMantles, Ranch, Opus, Boulevard, then I would agree.

I've never had a bad meal at Jamil's. Also, call ahead and tell them you are dining for a special occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I've never had a bad meal at Jamil's. Also, call ahead and tell them you are dining for a special occasion.

Same here, but I haven't been in years.

It was my mother's go to place for special occasions. The appetizers listed above were always great, especially the cabbage rolls. I can't comment on price, I've only ever been as a guest.

You're quite right RJ, there are better steaks in OK, and for a better price, but I don't consider those places to offer a comparable atmosphere. If I want the best steak in Oklahoma I drive out to Amber. If I want to dress up and show off, I'd go Jamil's. ...for the record, I never dress up and show off - that's just a hypothetical.

I've not kept count but I suspect I've had more dinners at Jamil's wearing polo/casual slack as I've had wearing coat/tie. Lunches would be the opposite as any lunch stop will typically follow a meeting or event where coat/tie were necessary.

Default Jamil's????

Was there a Jamil's or something like it on Meridian just north of 39th street about 10 or 15 years ago next to Allegiance Credit Union?

Default Re: Jamil's????

You are thinking of Eddy's Steakhouse on the west side of Meridian just north of 39th.

It closed a few years ago.

Yeah, the OKC Jamil's has been at its N Lincoln location as far back as I can recall.
    Never tried Eddy's before it closed. Back in those days usually just went with Jamil's or Mantle or Indian Hills before it went away.
    And of all places, in the late, late 80's the steaks at what was then Holiday Inn on W Main in Norman the steaks were way better than I first expected to find them to be.

Chris Young, who owned and ran Eddy's, claimed Jamil as a relative. I met Chris in '86 when I was getting out of the food service business and hunting a buyer for my equipment. Unfortunately, he was selling, not buying.

I ate at Eddy's a couple of times. Not bad, but nothing out of the ordinary either. OTOH I'm not a lover of all forms of Mediterranean cuisine, except for cello kabob with sumac...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    Chris Young, who owned and ran Eddy's, claimed Jamil as a relative. I met Chris in '86 when I was getting out of the food service business and hunting a buyer for my equipment. Unfortunately, he was selling, not buying.

I ate at Eddy's a couple of times. Not bad, but nothing out of the ordinary either. OTOH I'm not a lover of all forms of Mediterranean cuisine, except for cello kabob with sumac...
    Jim,
    I didn't really think of Eddy's or Jamil's as Mediterranean cuisine. Sure, they provided Lebanese hors d'oeuvres, but weren't they really just steak restaurants (Ok, chicken and seafood as well)? I have enjoyed a lot of steaks at Jamil's and a couple at Eddy's.
    C. T.

Nice little feature on Jamil's in the new Saveur. Mostly focuses on the Tulsa location, which my grandfather took me to when, I wanna say, I was about 9. I just remember going nuts on the appetizers. I don't have a link yet.

okc location really needs some help and updating though.

Thread Information