Widgets Magazine

Thread: Road work in Yukon

Default Road work in Yukon

It doesn't look like a big deal or anything really. But what is going on in Yukon, right off the highway? I am talking about the median on Garth Brooks, right next to the support columns for I-40. The median has had the curb knocked down to being level with the street. Dirt has been removed and replaced with concrete, again to be level with the street. It hasn't been done to the entire median, just about 30 feet either side of I-40 on Garth Brooks level. Not a big deal just wondering what that is for. Probably a construction support site (possibly a cement plant) being put in the field between the on/off ramps and I-40.

Default Re: Road work in Yukon

Quote Originally Posted by OKCNDN View Post
    It doesn't look like a big deal or anything really. But what is going on in Yukon, right off the highway? I am talking about the median on Garth Brooks, right next to the support columns for I-40. The median has had the curb knocked down to being level with the street. Dirt has been removed and replaced with concrete, again to be level with the street. It hasn't been done to the entire median, just about 30 feet either side of I-40 on Garth Brooks level. Not a big deal just wondering what that is for. Probably a construction support site (possibly a cement plant) being put in the field between the on/off ramps and I-40.
    I-40 is being widened out to El Reno (maybe farther) to meet up with Morgan Rd. That bridge will have to be redone to add the extra lanes as it only supports 2 each direction.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChris7 View Post
    I-40 is being widened out to El Reno (maybe farther) to meet up with Morgan Rd. That bridge will have to be redone to add the extra lanes as it only supports 2 each direction.
    Most of I40 between Yukon and El Reno has already been widened to six lane.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    This is to meet up with that. I wasn't sure how far out it had already been widened. It's 4 lanes up to about Morgan Rd. That stretch of road is in horrible shape.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCNDN View Post
    They are widening the bridge over Garth Brooks. Since they are adding a full drive lane, almost certainly a full lane on the left side to both directions and probably a slight expansion to the right shoulder; 30 feet would be about as much new bridge space is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    He's speaking of the past in a present tense mode talking about how I-40, having been widened just west of Garth Brooks Boulevard is being prepped for the final stages of widening between just west of Garth Brooks and just west of Morgan Road. The same question was asked on the I-40 Construction Updates thread, which I gave the same answer to.

HangryHippo Guest

I've tried to search the ODOT website (which is nauseatingly bad), but I can't find any renderings for what the new bridge for Mustang Rd. will look like. Anyone know where I might find the new design?

Also, snowman, are they completely redoing the bridges at Garth Brooks or are they just adding a lane to each side?

ODOT says it's going to be done by summer 2014. I find that a little hard to believe based on the pace of construction elsewhere, but we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    I've tried to search the ODOT website (which is nauseatingly bad), but I can't find any renderings for what the new bridge for Mustang Rd. will look like. Anyone know where I might find the new design?

Also, snowman, are they completely redoing the bridges at Garth Brooks or are they just adding a lane to each side?

ODOT says it's going to be done by summer 2014. I find that a little hard to believe based on the pace of construction elsewhere, but we'll see.
    The completion timeline is believable. The construction job between El Reno and Yukon was completed in a year. This included completely redoing the road down to the dirt and complete reconstruction of the bridges between Cimarron and Garth Brooks. Not having to build a temporary road then deconstructing it on project completion presumably shortens the project time a great deal. All they do is build the actual road then leave it when completed, having to only demolish the temporary road on the median used to divert traffic from one side of the highway to the other.

I hope the same construction team that did the El Reno-to-Yukon project does this one. The new road is the smoothest in OK.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post

I am assuming the bridges are being completely redone. This is because a new support is being built on the inside of the current bridge. One or more lanes will obviously go over it.

It also appears the median on I-40 is being done away with. On NW 10th overpass the construction below has the dirtwork all the way from the former inside lanes to the support beams for that over pass. And there is a concrete barrier there, the kind that separates the different directions of a highway.

Thread Information