Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashing yellow left turn arrows :mad:

Default Flashing yellow left turn arrows :mad:

I really despise them . I know that they supposedly cause less confusion than the green yield circles, but for me it's increased confusion. The past 30 years have ingrained into me that a yellow left turn arrow means I HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY, but just for a couple more seconds. I was sitting at a red light at Main & Berry the other day; the light changed from red to a yellow arrow, my impulse was to go, realizing just in time that there was oncoming traffic from the other direction.

To make it worse, they're sticking these things up all over town, but are still ignoring the intersections that need major upgrades to the timing of the left turn signals - Main & 36th and Robinson and 36th.

That is all. And I don't feel better now that I've gotten that off my chest.

2. Default Re: Flashing yellow left turn arrows :mad:

I believe it is the new federal standard, so all traditional green arrow/solid green combinations are going away.

It's taken a bit of getting use to, but I'm glad they are around now.

Now if you want confusing. In Michigan the left turn lane has 3 colored arrow (red/yellow/green) and the red arrow will actually start flashing to allow people to go if it is clear. To me that is much worse than what we are seeing with the flashing yellow now.

Default Re: Flashing yellow left turn arrows :mad:

FWIW, I am not a fan of them either.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    It's taken a bit of getting use to, but I'm glad they are around now.
    Agree 100%

Now if you want confusing. In Michigan the left turn lane has 3 colored arrow (red/yellow/green) and the red arrow will actually start flashing to allow people to go if it is clear. To me that is much worse than what we are seeing with the flashing yellow now.
    I dig it. It's like a 4 way stop. Who wants to just sit at a 4 way intersection when there's literally no traffic? Reminds me of a movie called 'The Mexican'. Brad Pitt is just sitting in his El Camino at a 4 way stop and the light won't change. Finally he looks both ways, pulls out and some tractor with a trailer rolls by.

It's a great idea that makes a lot of sense. What didn't make sense was a green light that meant yield to oncoming traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    It's a great idea that makes a lot of sense. What didn't make sense was a green light that meant yield to oncoming traffic.
    Agreed. On another note, every now and then I see a solid red arrow which I think is really silly.

I like them.

Instead of relying on shapes with inconsistent colors to determine your lane's status, you are relying on colors.

Red will always mean stop, Yellow will always mean caution, Green will always mean cleared through. The arrows then just remind you if you are in a turn-only lane.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Red will always mean stop, Yellow will always mean caution, Green will always mean cleared through. The arrows then just remind you if you are in a turn-only lane.

If i could click the "like" link, i would do so just for this statement... this is why i love them... it goes back to what these colors mean rather than relying on the shape. I think it simplifies the street lights immensely, and is a very good change. But yes, it will take some time to get used to

i like them what i can't stand is a red arrow in a non busy intersection ... if no one is coming the other way i want to make the left not wait for no reason .. with the yellow flashing arrow I/we can

I believe they are a great improvement to traffic flow.

I was in Austin last week and late in the evening, maybe around 9 or 10pm the lights turn into flashers. The more heavily traveled road turns into yellow flashers and the less traveled red flashers, essentially yield and stop signs respectively. I think this is a great idea and could be used in various places where it seems late at night you are the only one sitting at a light waiting for it to change.

13. Default Re: Flashing yellow left turn arrows :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I was in Austin last week and late in the evening, maybe around 9 or 10pm the lights turn into flashers. The more heavily traveled road turns into yellow flashers and the less traveled red flashers, essentially yield and stop signs respectively. I think this is a great idea and could be used in various places where it seems late at night you are the only one sitting at a light waiting for it to change.
    I believe this happens in Norman after midnight until 5AM.

Interesting never been there that late. I know Mustang could really do this on 152 from 10pm till earlier in the morning. Would be really handy. I think cities should look into this. Just helps to speed things up when the traffic is limited.

I believe this happens in Norman after midnight until 5AM.
    must only be part of norman, because i know it isn't this way on the East side of town

Was going to say not the case downtown, campus corner, or west side. That would actually be kind of nice especially out in the suburbs.

I like the new signals too... Makes the color-coding very consistent.

17. Default Re: Flashing yellow left turn arrows :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    Was going to say not the case downtown, campus corner, or west side. That would actually be kind of nice especially out in the suburbs.

I like the new signals too... Makes the color-coding very consistent.
    Might have changed. I remember Lindsey always use to after midnight or thereabouts.

As far as I know, Norman does not switch to flashing red lights/yellow lights late at night like a lot of DFW suburbs do. That would be great if it started to though.

I like the left turn yellow arrows now too, after I got used to them like everyone said. The one thing I don't like about them is that elderly people never seem to understand them. I was behind a guy recently that was just sitting stopped at a flashing yellow arrow when he had complete clearance to turn left (not a car in sight). I finally honked and he got the idea he was supposed to turn.

Our own Wallace Collins initiated this change to state law. Formerly the person turning left in an intersection had the legal right of way against on coming traffic. A serious car wreck in Moore is what prompted this common sense legislation.

CarLoadBoard.com Blog

The new law was spurred by the death of a Moore, OK, man who died in a motorcycle wreck in 2007. Casey Lewis collided with a car that turned in the path of his motorcycle. The driver wasn’t cited because he stopped in the intersection and signaled before turning.

– By Keith Goble, state legislative editor

:Sigh:

I admit that I'm in the vast minority. I shall now henceforth welcome and worship our yellow-flashing-arrow overlords.

I actually like them...

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I like them.

Instead of relying on shapes with inconsistent colors to determine your lane's status, you are relying on colors.

What I hate are the red/green arrow turn lane lights that it seems many have gone to but not all signals have gone to it, to me it just seems to confuse many drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by blink View Post
    As far as I know, Norman does not switch to flashing red lights/yellow lights late at night like a lot of DFW suburbs do. That would be great if it started to though.
    Lindsay did that from the camps to I-35 when I was at OU thirty years ago. Not sure how many other streets had it but I vaguely remember it on Classen.

Quote Originally Posted by treyingram90 View Post
    I actually like them...
    I do too. If the HAWK crosswalk system ever comes to Oklahoma get a video camera, some popcorn, and a lawn chair because that is going to be exciting to watch.

24. Default Re: Flashing yellow left turn arrows :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I do too. If the HAWK crosswalk system ever comes to Oklahoma get a video camera, some popcorn, and a lawn chair because that is going to be exciting to watch.

I couldn't see that working on Lindsey (which would probably be the main target). Too much traffic with both peds and cars. I would rather see them put in ped bridges over Lindsey if anything. They could probably get away with putting in maybe just 2 or 3 and eliminate the lights in most cases.

There is one at Georgia Tech on North Ave. I assure you it has more traffic than Lindsey St which is why the system is there. If there was no traffic they wouldn't need a special crosswalk.

Thread Information