Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - May 2013

1. Default Re: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - May 2013

Interesting feature near Byng has been quite consistent showing rotation as its traveled east through Pontotoc County. It is north of Ada. Would imagine some pretty gusty winds in there, but with the way things are going maybe a quick spin up as well?

2. Default Re: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - May 2013

Tornado Warning for Love County. If you know people who are at WinStar, may want to give them a heads up.
    BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
    TORNADO WARNING
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORMAN OK
    711 PM CDT WED MAY 15 2013

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN NORMAN HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
    SOUTHERN LOVE COUNTY IN SOUTHERN OKLAHOMA...

* UNTIL 745 PM CDT

* AT 708 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE METEOROLOGISTS DETECTED A
    SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS
    STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR LEON...AND MOVING EAST AT 30 MPH.

* LOCATIONS IMPACTED INCLUDE...
    MARIETTA...THACKERVILLE...LEON...RUBOTTOM...BURNEY VILLE AND
    COURTNEY.

3. Default Re: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - May 2013

For that area I was talking about by Ada earlier, that line is now SVR warned for destructive winds up to 70 mph. Pretty much anywhere along the bow/arch as seen on the velocity image.

Default Re: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - May 2013

Multiple tornadoes being reported on the ground in TX.

5. Default Re: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - May 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Multiple tornadoes being reported on the ground in TX.
    Doesn't look like any of the stations stream live online down there. I-35 south into Dallas tonight is not a fun drive. Just about every storm is severe warned, so I turned that off to just show tornado warnings. Expect Parker and Tarrant counties to get a tornado warning here soon.

6. Default Re: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - May 2013

7. Default Re: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - May 2013

Nice NROT (normalized rotation) 3D image of the rotation right now in Johnson County, TX.

8. Default Re: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - May 2013

New storm just popped up in Tarrant County and is already TOR warned. Includes Arlington, Grand Prairie and west side of Dallas.

Man, the video feed from Aaron Dooley is showing a significant lowering west of Waco

10. Default Re: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - May 2013

Rick Smith ‏@ounwcm37s
    RT @NBCDFWWeather: Spotters reporting a mile wide tornado 5 miles north of Rio Vista. TAKE SHELTER NOW. #dfwwx pic.twitter.com/LFNIDMN07S

11. Default Re: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - May 2013

12. Default Re: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - May 2013

Quote of the night by Damon.

Damon Lane ‏@KOCOdamonlane8m
    Tonight should be a clear indication that there is no such thing as "justa" slight risk. #txwx pic.twitter.com/wtuY0irWiA

Watching the KXAS live stream with Rick Mitchell. Really miss him in this market. No offense to Damon Lane, but Rick was great IMHO. Measured, informative delivery and coverage. There's a reason he's gone on to bigger markets.

14. Default Re: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - May 2013

Media reports over 100 injured a couple fatalities tonight in the DFW area.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Media reports over 100 injured a couple fatalities tonight in the DFW area.
    Obviously, Oklahoma also sometimes gets injuries and fatalities from severe weather but I have to wonder if the possibility of that happening in places like the Dallas area isn't higher because of a lack of the comprehensive coverage that we get.

Mike Morgan says this coming event for OKC Sunday and Monday is going to be huge, with possible violent tornadoes and extremely large hail. NOAA seems to suggest the highest tornado threat will be Monday in eastern Oklahoma.

At least from my observations people who live in the OKC are generally far more educated and alert to the dangers of tornadoes than people are in the Dallas area..Given the exact same WX circumstances I feel very certain that a major tornado would kill far more people in the Dallas area than in the OKC area.
    For that we have our local weather community to thank….

In spite of the bigger TV market Dallas TV doesn’t devote near as much time and money in covering tornadoes….

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Obviously, Oklahoma also sometimes gets injuries and fatalities from severe weather but I have to wonder if the possibility of that happening in places like the Dallas area isn't higher because of a lack of the comprehensive coverage that we get.
    Growing up there, I can definitely tell you people were nowhere near as "weather aware" as we are here. In fact, a lot of people would complain if weather coverage went too long even if it was a serious storm. I had a good friend who until recently worked for the ABC affiliate and they would get a torrent of angry emails if programs were interrupted for weather (OMG you interrupted Dancing with the Stars to tell me its raining!!). For this reason I think a lot of station shy away from the wall to wall coverage you see here.

Its a little discerning considering that you won't find a larger metro in the US at a greater risk for tornadoes than DFW. A lot of people believe that DFW will never get hit by tornadoes because "they never hit cities, only small towns and trailer parks" (yes I've heard this many times).

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    But the Dallas area makes for a much bigger, sprawled out populated area to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    But the Dallas area makes for a much bigger, sprawled out populated area to hit.
    Which has nothing to do with what I said.

I thought Mike said Friday was Mike's D-Day. Is he moving the goalposts? What a narcissistic drama queen.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    At least from my observations people who live in the OKC are generally far more educated and alert to the dangers of tornadoes than people are in the Dallas area..Given the exact same WX circumstances I feel very certain that a major tornado would kill far more people in the Dallas area than in the OKC area.
    For that we have our local weather community to thank….

In spite of the bigger TV market Dallas TV doesn’t devote near as much time and money in covering tornadoes….
    Maybe that's because OKC is in the literal center of the bullseye for tornados, historically speaking. If our weather people didn't make it a priority they would be idiots.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Watching the KXAS live stream with Rick Mitchell. Really miss him in this market. No offense to Damon Lane, but Rick was great IMHO. Measured, informative delivery and coverage. There's a reason he's gone on to bigger markets.
    Damon Lane comes off as cocky. Rick was cool and personable -- a rare combination. Consummate professional. I think I actually prefer Rusty McRanie (sp?). It's a shame Damon Lane got the gig simply because of his frat-boy looks. Rusty has a better on-air persona during severe weather events.

24. Default Re: Oklahoma Severe Weather Discussion - May 2013

Really quick, I setup this thread: http://www.okctalk.com/arts-entertai...rs-2013-a.html To talk about the local OCMs and other on camera personalities. So let's not get too far down the road in here arguing about them.

Looking ahead. Quieter day tomorrow and also Friday. Friday is pretty unstable, but very strong cap should keep things quiet - mostly.

Saturday May 18th

Saturday looks to be a day where we could see some higher end severe weather. Dryline will be out west in far Western OK. Some storms should fire along it by late afternoon. Conditions will be such that large hail and damaging wind will be main threat. LCLs will be quite high as the lower levels will be quite dry. If moisture return is greater than expected, we need to watch this day closely.

Sunday May 19th

Sunday still looks significant with widespread severe weather probably. Dryline is still out west and will help kick storms off along it west of the I-35 corridor. Nothing much more to really ad. Things will look to be coming into place for a significant day.

Monday May 20th

Much like Sunday, higher end severe weather seems probable. Dryline is further in so that will push the convection over central and eastern OK.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Really quick, I setup this thread: http://www.okctalk.com/arts-entertai...rs-2013-a.html To talk about the local OCMs and other on camera personalities. So let's not get too far down the road in here arguing about them.
    Noted.

Thread Information