Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Quail Springs Mall

MadMonk Guest

Default Re: Quail Springs Mall --- Finally, it's own thread.

Everyone has different factors that are more important to them than others. I have no problems with the selection of stores at PSM, but I put less of an emphasis on "upscale" stores than I do a clean, safe, hassle-free experience. Even if it is third-best, I'm not saying it's a bad mall.

Onthestrip, jbrown, I'm curious - what shops that you consider upscale does PSM have that QSM or the Outlet Shoppes mall does not? What are the differentiating shops for you? What would you say might be worth going out of my way to go to that mall?

Vera Bradley, Pottery Barn, William-Sonoma, Fossil, J Crew, Michael Kors, Coach, Banana Republic, and Apple are just a few retailers that I can think of off the top of my head with locations at Penn and not at Quail. I wouldn't say that I personally view all of these as "upscale" but I would say that the market in general does.

No matter your personal shopping preference, you can't argue that Penn is the location of choice for retailers looking to enter the OKC market.

Compare the Macy's between Quail and Penn. That should tell you enough. I went into the Quail Macy's to try and get something that was out of stock at the Penn one and was amazed at the low quality of the store. Somebody tear out that horrible green carpet (or is that in Dillard's?).

Like others, I don't understand the people having parking issues at Penn. Holiday parking is terrible anywhere. Any other time of the year, I've never had a problem parking at Penn. Try the north side of the mall like someone said.

I think those that like Quail very much make a good point, in that it does fill some sort of niche. I think a lot of people just have visions of malls like NorthPark in Dallas or Stonebriar in Frisco. That being said, I do think Quail is going downhill with all of the low end places it has added in the last 5 years. If Edmond ever builds a mall at I-35/Covell, Quail will probably end up like Crossroads.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Honestly I feel more safe there than PS IMO. PS is always on the news for car break ins and attackers in parking lots
    This.

PS might have some pricier stores... but it also has some, um, "less classy" people in a "less classy" part of town. They do have more car break-ins. QS statistically is still much safer. I've never felt uncomfortable at QS, but I sometimes do at PS.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Quail Springs looks nothing like Crossroads ever has, if for nothing else than because of what surrounds QS that is sure to keep it afloat. Crossroads would be in much better shape today if it had been located on NW Expressway/MacArthur rather than 35/240.
    For sure. The area around QS, aside from a few ghetto apartment complexes, are nice suburban houses. Come on people, less than a mile away you've got $750,000 to million dollar homes in Esperanza. Fairfiew Farms is nearby. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods around in the at least $200,000 and up range. Crossroads never had that kind of affluent neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Paycom, Farmer's Insurance, general growth in offices in and around the area, hotels, sundry shops opening along the road (many in new buildings), medical facilities, etc.

I mean, most of this is the past 5 years. Not necessarily brand spankin' new, but definitely still moving forward.
    Plus BJ's, Mahoghany's, Gigi's Cupcakes, whatever the name of that boutique and kitchen cookware store is, Cool Greens, Chick-Fil-A, and some of the other things around there.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    I like QSM. I guess because I've been going there so long and I'm comfortable with it - especially since the theater was put in and the remodel.

I'd rank it as
    1. QSM - Big, roomy, comfortable and safe. Decent selection of shops. I've never had any problems finding parking. Avoid the Penn-Memorial intersection though.

2. The new outlet mall on I-40 - Nice place to shop on good-weather days. May eventually have a problem with the transients that travel along 1-40. I've already had someone come up and ask for money "for gas to get home".

3. Penn Square mall - Meh. Overly crowded, not enough parking, nothing special in the mall that would encourage me to brave the traffic hassles around that entire area.
    My thoughts exactly. QSM is comfortable, safe, and the shops are fine for the midwest. PSM is fine, but...crowded, traffic, etc. indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by blink View Post
    Compare the Macy's between Quail and Penn. That should tell you enough. I went into the Quail Macy's to try and get something that was out of stock at the Penn one and was amazed at the low quality of the store. Somebody tear out that horrible green carpet (or is that in Dillard's?).

Like others, I don't understand the people having parking issues at Penn. Holiday parking is terrible anywhere. Any other time of the year, I've never had a problem parking at Penn. Try the north side of the mall like someone said.

I think those that like Quail very much make a good point, in that it does fill some sort of niche. I think a lot of people just have visions of malls like NorthPark in Dallas or Stonebriar in Frisco. That being said, I do think Quail is going downhill with all of the low end places it has added in the last 5 years. If Edmond ever builds a mall at I-35/Covell, Quail will probably end up like Crossroads.
    Agreed.

One thing I want to point out is Penn, while being upscale for OKC, would be a pretty middle of the road mall in most cities. Quail Springs would be a mid-low end mall. I think Penn can step it up a notch, which it appears they are trying to do, and Quail can as well, which will probably happen after Von Maur opens.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    3. Penn Square mall - Meh. Overly crowded, not enough parking, nothing special in the mall that would encourage me to brave the traffic hassles around that entire area.
    I've never had trouble finding parking at Penn Square, except for the day after Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I've never had trouble finding parking at Penn Square, except for the day after Thanksgiving.
    Same here and also during Christmas season

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I was at Penn today around noon. I parked a very short walk from Macy's on a Saturday. Parking there is not an issue.

They actually started work on the old Sears space in preparation for the arrival of Von Maur. There is a large stockpile of roofing materials in the parking lot and a big pile of debris from interior demolition. This building is going to need a lot of work to make it look decent. Sears was actually using a portable AC unit on a trailer for over a year before closing.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    they actually started work on the old sears space in preparation for the arrival of von maur. There is a large stockpile of roofing materials in the parking lot and a big pile of debris from interior demolition. This building is going to need a lot of work to make it look decent. sears was actually using a portable ac unit on a trailer for over a year before closing.
    wow

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    wow
    Yeah, It was park over there at the loading docks. I guess their main unit went out and they didn't want to spend money on a new one when they were going to leave any way.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Yeah, It was park over there at the loading docks. I guess their main unit went out and they didn't want to spend money on a new one when they were going to leave any way.
    Makes sense I guess, aren't those things like half a mill? Also, wouldn't Quail Springs be responsible for that????

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Makes sense I guess, aren't those things like half a mill? Also, wouldn't Quail Springs be responsible for that????
    Sears owned the Sears store property, so they would have had to pay for it themselves. They were the only store that actually owned their own building in QSM, if I recall.

I remember Sears doing some renovations and/or work on their escalators in either late 2010 or 2011. Curious why they did that if they knew they would close... or, did they not expect to close back then?

Quote Originally Posted by oki View Post
    Sears owned the Sears store property, so they would have had to pay for it themselves. They were the only store that actually owned their own building in QSM, if I recall.

I remember Sears doing some renovations and/or work on their escalators in either late 2010 or 2011. Curious why they did that if they knew they would close... or, did they not expect to close back then?
    I think thats a different situation because a broken escalator is bad for business.

That and isn't it a federal req. or is that just for elevators?

I also miss YANKEE CANDLE.

That store always had a line when I went. I'm surprised that it closed.

I also miss YANKEE CANDLE.

That store always had a line when I went. I'm surprised that it closed.
    It closed? Why? I liked that store...

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan View Post
    It closed? Why? I liked that store...

Yes, it closed January 2012 or so. The employee there had told me that they were keeping the one at Penn Square open. With the Penn Square and the Outlet Mall stores, apparently there wasn't enough business for all 3 of them.

I liked the Quail Springs Yankee Candle, and it seemed busy to me. I was surprised it closed. Penn Square and the Outlet are far enough away that it doesn't seem like direct competition to me.

The store wasn't that large, either. Surely their rent couldn't have been insanely expensive?

One thing QSM needs in a year or two is another renovation,. If they want to keep up with PS and Woodland Hills. I could see one happening when Von Maur comes in the mall.

On a side note why did they close A and F but yet Hollister is still open

23. Default Re: Quail Springs Mall --- Finally, it's own thread.

One thing I have wondered about Hollister is the steps at the front of the store. I've never gone in, but my wife said that there are also steps down once you get inside. There is no alternative (i.e., a ramp). It is completely inaccessible by wheelchair. How do they get away with that?

Yes, it closed January 2012 or so. The employee there had told me that they were keeping the one at Penn Square open. With the Penn Square and the Outlet Mall stores, apparently there wasn't enough business for all 3 of them.

I liked the Quail Springs Yankee Candle, and it seemed busy to me. I was surprised it closed. Penn Square and the Outlet are far enough away that it doesn't seem like direct competition to me.

The store wasn't that large, either. Surely their rent couldn't have been insanely expensive?
    That sucks but I guess it is good they will not close Yankee Candle at Penn Square

They should have just renovated the Yankee Candle in PS and not moved it, the new location looks like everything is crammed in

Thread Information