Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Quail Springs Mall

Default Re: Quail Springs Mall --- Finally, it's own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by oki View Post
    Yes, it closed January 2012 or so. The employee there had told me that they were keeping the one at Penn Square open. With the Penn Square and the Outlet Mall stores, apparently there wasn't enough business for all 3 of them.

I liked the Quail Springs Yankee Candle, and it seemed busy to me. I was surprised it closed. Penn Square and the Outlet are far enough away that it doesn't seem like direct competition to me.

The store wasn't that large, either. Surely their rent couldn't have been insanely expensive?
    I was the manager there. It had declining sales and traffic (mall wide). They planned to close it as far back as 2011 when the plans for the outlet store where made.

I don't know if this means anything. I was just at the Galleria and they have a Payless two levels up and two stores to the right of a Louis Vuitton store. Payless is actually quite nice, I've noticed and for me, this backs it up. So, I don't know what all the fuss is to get Payless out of Quail

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I don't know if this means anything. I was just at the Galleria and they have a Payless two levels up and two stores to the right of a Louis Vuitton store. Payless is actually quite nice, I've noticed and for me, this backs it up. So, I don't know what all the fuss is to get Payless out of Quail
    The fuss is to get it out of Penn. The one in Penn is a very old, 1980s style store which simply isn't nice.

Ahh, well I was mistaken then, I've never been to the one in Penn.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffkchuckk View Post
    I was the manager there. It had declining sales and traffic (mall wide). They planned to close it as far back as 2011 when the plans for the outlet store where made.
    Thanks, good to know. Interesting that there was declining traffic. It was one of my favorite stores.

I wonder if the newly remodeled AMC theater at PS may kill some of QSM's business

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    I wonder if the newly remodeled AMC theater at PS may kill some of QSM's business
    I doubt it. The new Penn Square theater is more likely to effect Cinemark Tinseltown's business than Quail Springs in my opinion. The QSM theater also has the IMAX.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCDrummer77 View Post
    One thing I have wondered about Hollister is the steps at the front of the store. I've never gone in, but my wife said that there are also steps down once you get inside. There is no alternative (i.e., a ramp). It is completely inaccessible by wheelchair. How do they get away with that?
    One of the "windows" on the right side of the store is actually a door that makes it handicap accessible. They were shooting for a beach front "shack" with the store design, hence the steps inside but they have met all ADA requirements. I feel bad for the person in a wheel chair once they get in since there's very little room as it is but they can get inside at least.

Main subject of this video isn't QSM but tells a story about the area.

Isn't the Shoppes at Quail Springs a project that was cancelled following the 2008 crash? If not, why doesn't it have a thread? From the rendering in the video it looks great for a suburban shopping center. Not quite Spring Creek but much higher quality than most stuff that gets built here.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Isn't the Shoppes at Quail Springs a project that was cancelled following the 2008 crash? If not, why doesn't it have a thread? From the rendering in the video it looks great for a suburban shopping center. Not quite Spring Creek but much higher quality than most stuff that gets built here.
    This is not the same development, although you are correct that project was axed after the 2008 crash. The original Shoppes at Quail Springs was to be located directly north of the mall but has since been sold off to multifamily developers. This looks like it will be at the corner of Memorial and May.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    This is not the same development, although you are correct that project was axed after the 2008 crash. The original Shoppes at Quail Springs was to be located directly north of the mall but has since been sold off to multifamily developers. This looks like it will be at the corner of Memorial and May.
    That's cool. This looks like it would be the perfect location for something like a Restoration Hardware or Container Store.

So does anybody think Von Maur's arrival will usher in a new era for Quail Springs. Will it start to attract more upscale retailers after that?

I fully expect Dillard's and Macy's to remodel in order to compete. Their Quail Springs locations are some of the most depressing I've seen in the entire chains.

So does anybody think Von Maur's arrival will usher in a new era for Quail Springs. Will it start to attract more upscale retailers after that?

I fully expect Dillard's and Macy's to remodel in order to compete. Their Quail Springs locations are some of the most depressing I've seen in the entire chains.
    Amen to that

I think the problem is the way the mall is managed. Management wants it to be a family-friendly place with family-oriented stores. That means midle-scale stores. That's all good and fine, but it leaves it competing with Wal-Mart, and that doesn't bode well for an environment where the middle class is shrinking and flocking to Wal-Mart and Target. Management is set to run the mall on the level of JC Penney, but they need to aim more upscale if they plan to compete.

I agree that the Dillards and Macy's stores at QS are depressing. But, the reason they haven't renovated their stores is because sales are so much less there than at Penn that it doesn't warrant a remodel. Overall, the mall has about half or less of the stores as Penn. The same store at pen will have double to triple the sales as the same store at Quail. That being said, I think Von Maur will only help QS, but unless management changes their philosophy, don't expect it to compete with PS.

The fuss is to get it out of Penn. The one in Penn is a very old, 1980s style store which simply isn't nice.
    That store's atmopshere may appear 1980ish, but the store really hasn't been there that long. Maybe 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    This is actually not correct. The Shoppes at Quail Springs was planned for land between Penn and Western, North of Memorial. West of the Church on the Rock. What you're referring to north of QSM, was to be Tuscana, a multi-mix of upscale retail, residential, etc. Since the crash of 2008, they've gone strictly residential. I think their hopes of attracting upscale stores like Nordstrom and Saks was a little wishful thinking on their part as well. Memorial Road is over-rated.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    I think the problem is the way the mall is managed. Management wants it to be a family-friendly place with family-oriented stores. That means midle-scale stores. That's all good and fine, but it leaves it competing with Wal-Mart, and that doesn't bode well for an environment where the middle class is shrinking and flocking to Wal-Mart and Target. Management is set to run the mall on the level of JC Penney, but they need to aim more upscale if they plan to compete.

I agree that the Dillards and Macy's stores at QS are depressing. But, the reason they haven't renovated their stores is because sales are so much less there than at Penn that it doesn't warrant a remodel. Overall, the mall has about half or less of the stores as Penn. The same store at pen will have double to triple the sales as the same store at Quail. That being said, I think Von Maur will only help QS, but unless management changes their philosophy, don't expect it to compete with PS.
    100% agree with this. In 2013, malls have to go upscale. The middle class market is cornered by the big box chains and aren't going to malls like they used to. Mid-range malls all across the country are failing. The arrival of Von Maur is a perfect time for the management of QSM to shift their focus more up-market.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    One thing QSM needs in a year or two is another renovation,. If they want to keep up with PS and Woodland Hills. I could see one happening when Von Maur comes in the mall.

On a side note why did they close A and F but yet Hollister is still open
    Hollister will close once their lease runs out. Abercrombie has completely moved out of the mall as it was one of their declining markets. They're downsizing due to corporate problems. They'll keep the PS store open as it has double the profits of the QS stores.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Hollister will close once their lease runs out. Abercrombie has completely moved out of the mall as it was one of their declining markets. They're downsizing due to corporate problems. They'll keep the PS store open as it has double the profits of the QS stores.
    Yeah it's a sign of the times. Abercrombie isn't what it was in the early 2000s. It used to be a status symbol for teens and early twentysomethings.

Yeah it's a sign of the times. Abercrombie isn't what it was in the 1980s. It used to be a status symbol for teens and early twentysomethings.
    fify

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    fify
    A&F has had different eras when they have appealed to different demographics. I am not sure about what they were in the 1980s, but when I was in high school in the late 1990s and early 2000s if you were 'cool' you wore Abercrombie. It was a very conformist era, much different than the hipster era of today where everybody is trying to be different.

A&F has had different eras when they have appealed to different demographics. I am not sure about what they were in the 1980s, but when I was in high school in the late 1990s and early 2000s if you were 'cool' you wore Abercrombie. It was a very conformist era, much different than the hipster era of today where everybody is trying to be different.
    They were more of a woodsy, outdoorsy type place then.

The remodel of the old Sears space for Von Maur is progressing well. The old automotive service center has been demolished.

I remember those days. Abercrombie was so popular and "cool" back then. I never would have guessed the Quail store would've closed.

Thread Information