2501 W. Memorial
    Opened Oct. 23, 1980
    General Growth
    architect=William Pereira
    sq. feet= 1,128,000

Information & Latest News

Fall of 2014: Von Maur to open
    1999/2000: Major renovation, added AMC 24-screen theater
    10/23/80: Opened for business, with Sears, JC Penney, John A Brown and Dillards's as anchors
    4/1/78: Construction starts
    10/1/77: Official announcement of mall
    9/8/72: Concept announced for first time
    Links

Official Site
    County Assessor Record
    Gallery

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qs071699.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	6269   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qs090872.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	6270   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qs092180.jpg 
Views:	242 
Size:	156.3 KB 
ID:	6271   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qs092180b.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	118.8 KB 
ID:	6272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qs102180.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	204.5 KB 
ID:	6273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qs102180b.jpg 
Views:	276 
Size:	182.5 KB 
ID:	6274   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qs102380.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	6275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	qs020184.jpg 
Views:	277 
Size:	252.8 KB 
ID:	6276  

Default Re: Quail Springs Mall --- Finally, it's own thread.

One thing they should do is add multi level parking similar to Stonebriar in Frisco, TX. That would help parking a lot on big nights. Also, does anyone know when those outer areas along the mall are going to be developed?

Yeah I like Quail Springs mall too, I have to say Quail Springs Mall is the 3rd best mall in Oklahoma

1. Woodland Hills Mall
    2. Penn Square Mall
    3. Quail Springs Mall

Unfortanely, I do not go to Quail Springs mall often because it is 30 minutes away from me

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeesFan View Post
    Yeah I like Quail Springs mall too, I have to say Quail Springs Mall is the 3rd best mall in Oklahoma

1. Woodland Hills Mall
    2. Penn Square Mall
    3. Quail Springs Mall

Unfortanely, I do not go to Quail Springs mall often because it is 30 minutes away from me
    3rd best? Bah. The best.

I don't think I've been to Woodland Hills Mall. Is that in Tulsa, or is that the Midwest City mall?

Quote Originally Posted by oki View Post
    3rd best? Bah. The best.

I don't think I've been to Woodland Hills Mall. Is that in Tulsa, or is that the Midwest City mall?
    It is in Tulsa, if you have never been to Woodland Hills, you should go, it is almost like Quail Springs mall

Heritage Park is the Midwest City Mall which I also liked, it is a shame Heritage Park Mall shut down, I would have put Heritage Park Mall in 4th place

I'll also say this. I grew up in south Edmond. My parents live in Quail Creek. I've eaten at every chain restaurant on Memorial Road. I see value in the suburbs and I want NW OKC to grow and grow well. It's part of being a complete city. I just want it to grow with a little more dignity - more sustainable architecture, better landscaping, a little (or a lot) more thought. If all of Memorial Road looked like Spring Creek in Edmond, for example. The people that live and work on places like Memorial Road should want that as well. By all means, enjoy (as I often have) the chain restaurants and shops. There are ways to build on new green fields that don't look so haphazard. That's all.

One of my favorite places to eat there has to be Cinnamonster, they have the best cinnamon rolls ever. I go to QS nowadays for the AMC theater simply because it's big and the 3d moviws. Didn't QS have some sort of retro store where Subway is now?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    One of my favorite places to eat there has to be Cinnamonster, they have the best cinnamon rolls ever. I go to QS nowadays for the AMC theater simply because it's big and the 3d moviws. Didn't QS have some sort of retro store where Subway is now?
    Cinnamonster is really good. And Auntie Ann's.

Hmm... I don't remember a retro store there, but there could've been. It does kind of seem like there was some kind of novelty shop a little retro-ish a long time ago. Would that have been more than 5 years ago?

At one point it seems like there was a $10/cheap jewelry store around that area... around 2001 or 2002. I can't remember the name of it.

What happened to Sonic? That seemed to be popular. Kind of a good theme with the drive-in car tables too.

Cinnamonster is really good. And Auntie Ann's.

Hmm... I don't remember a retro store there, but there could've been. It does kind of seem like there was some kind of novelty shop a little retro-ish a long time ago. Would that have been more than 5 years ago?

At one point it seems like there was a $10/cheap jewelry store around that area... around 2001 or 2002. I can't remember the name of it.

What happened to Sonic? That seemed to be popular. Kind of a good theme with the drive-in car tables too.
    Sonic left QS about a year or two ago, it's now a Burger King which is a real odd choice to be in a mall.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Sonic left QS about a year or two ago, it's now a Burger King which is a real odd choice to be in a mall.
    Taco Bell is no longer there either.

Of note to the OP, you put in parenthesis (food court and theater). Previous to the renovations there was no theater. Only the General Cinema theater to the west of the mall which is now and has been a furniture store for quite some time and the old AMC that was east of the mall. I do remember the old food court with its ugly brown tiled multilevel floors and walls and fake jungle looking plants within the terraces. I miss the reddish orange piece of artwork that was out in front of the mall where the movie theater sits now. They should have kept that and moved it to somewhere else in the city!

I'm not a big fan of Quail Springs. I do go there occasionally, but even living in Edmond, when I think of going to a mall, I automatically think of Penn Square. I hate the Macy's and Dillard's there. Neither is nearly as nice as the stores in Penn Square. I personally do not like going to Quail Springs after dark. We go there occasionally for a movie, and at night, most of the parking lot lights do not work/are not turned on. I hate having to walk across a big dark parking lot, between cars, at night. It may not be any less safe than any other theater in town, but I don't want to walk across any dark parking lot.

If that Gyro place goes away there is no reason whatsoever to visit Quail Springs Mall. =)

Never have been impressed with QSM. It's location is great but the mix of stores there are nothing special. Their marketing mix is boring. This mall should have a Restoration Hardware, Banana Republic, Crate and Barrel etc..... Their Macy"s and Dillard's are very dated. I live very near Stonebriar Mall in Frisco and it has an ice skating rink, California Pizza Kitchen, Dave and Busters, Tin Star Taco, Paradise Bakery. QSM can use some of these businesses.

15. Default Re: Quail Springs Mall --- Finally, it's own thread.

I hear ad nauseam how "trendy" the Paseo, Midtown, Bricktown, blah blah blah are with all that they offer. I hear over and over about the trendy cafes and restaurants. But, NW OKC/Edmond offers some things itself. We have some good restaurants, even some new ones. (Keyword: some). Louie's Bar and Grill, Nhijha Sushi, China House, Johnny Carino's (not new, but good), Mahoghany Steakhouse, IHOP, Fazolli's, Chick-Fil-A, BJ's Brewhouse, and plenty of others.
    Is this a serious post? Or am I getting my chain yanked?

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    Is this a serious post? Or am I getting my chain yanked?
    I sure hope it's not serious.

Btw, Penn Square Mall is the best mall in OKC.

17. Default Re: Quail Springs Mall --- Finally, it's own thread.

I love this thread - it adds balance to the discussions of our city. Seriously. We need more suburban voices like this. It's ok, urbanistas. Seriously. This won't kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    I love this thread - it adds balance to the discussions of our city. Seriously. We need more suburban voices like this. It's ok, urbanistas. Seriously. This won't kill you.
    I actually had this in my post but deleted it. You never hear much of the suburban POV & oki has that view. Despite how much people are against suburbs today, I think suburbs are an important part of any city. The biggest, nicest cities in America usually have good - great suburbs along with an active, vibrant downtown.

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    I actually had this in my post but deleted it. You never hear much of the suburban POV & oki has that view. Despite how much people are against suburbs today, I think suburbs are an important part of any city. The biggest, nicest cities in America usually have good - great suburbs along with an active, vibrant downtown.
    This. How do I LIKE your post?

The city and suburbs both have their role in any metro area. The suburbs in particular are a hub for young families with kids and retirees. While there are things to do in Bricktown, there are also plenty of great restaurants and shops in the suburbs that cater more towards certain groups-- especially families. In the past year or two I've heard so much about the Paseo, Bricktown, Midtown, etc. that I'm sick of hearing about how "great" there are when the suburbs also have some nice restaurants, stores, activities, libraries, etc. of their own that seem to get too overlooked. So, Quail Springs doesn't have a convention center, nightclubs, or really museums to speak of. But, we do have an excellent quality of life that's easy, safe, quiet, and convenient. We have the mall, Martin Nature Park, Lake Hefner, grocery stores, and more nearby. There's an ice skating place, bowling alley, roller skating alley, movie theaters, and dog park within 5-10 minutes. I don't know many Oklahoma families with very young kids that would want to live in a 1-2 bedroom pricey high-rise in Bricktown with all of the negative things urban living brings (traffic, congestion, safety issues, parking issues, high rents, not so good schools, noise, etc.). There are certainly many good, fun things about urban living and offerings also, but suburbs have an excellent quality of life: lower cost of living, less traffic, nice newer homes, larger houses, better schools, convenience, easy parking, yards and trees and pools, being a few minutes from work/school by car, quieter, much safer for kids and safer for adults, quiet, more nature and trees, etc.

And, yes, folks, I've lived in some of the largest urban cities there are. They had some perks, but... Far NW OKC/Quail Springs has the quality of life and convenience I want. While some of urban OKC's growth intrigues me, especially Central Park OKC, the very things I like about OKC are already here: affordable nice newer housing, quality of life, jobs, easy lifestyle, less traffic, quiet, trees/land and lake nearby, and anywhere I need to go on a regular basis within a 5 minute drive. Grocery store, mall, movies, work, lake,... 5 minute drive without excessive traffic away. Plus, easy enough parking when I arrive. 5 minutes to anything I go to often.

I've only heard negative things about suburbs on the internet, but I agree with everything else you've said.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I've only heard negative things about suburbs on the internet
    That's what I was alluding to. I talk to people a lot more on the internet about the suburbs than I do people in person.

That's what I was alluding to. I talk to people a lot more on the internet about the suburbs than I do people in person.
    Oh, my bad. I also didn't mean to sound like I've never heard ANYTHING bad about suburbs in person, it just happens A LOT more on this board as well as citydata lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I've only heard negative things about suburbs on the internet, but I agree with everything else you've said.
    Internet forum posters tend to be young, single, intellectually-minded people who are more likely to be anti-suburbia than the population at large. I've noticed heavy anti-suburb bias here and even moreso on City-Data, but part of being a great city is being well-balanced. That means having a great inner-core as well as attractive suburbs. I do however agree with the poster above in that I wish suburbia would grow with more dignity than has been the norm in OKC.

As for Quail Springs, it is definitely showing early signs of decline but nothing that can't be reversed at this time. Quail Springs now is similar to mid-1990s Crossroads.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Internet forum posters tend to be young, single, intellectually-minded people who are more likely to be anti-suburbia than the population at large. I've noticed heavy anti-suburb bias here and even moreso on City-Data, but part of being a great city is being well-balanced. That means having a great inner-core as well as attractive suburbs. I do however agree with the poster above in that I wish suburbia would grow with more dignity than has been the norm in OKC.

As for Quail Springs, it is definitely showing early signs of decline but nothing that can't be reversed at this time. Quail Springs now is similar to mid-1990s Crossroads.
    Couldn't agree more!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    Haha, LIKE. (Yeah, I don't know how to "like" posts.) Great way to put it... funny, too. Can I be a suburbanista?

Everything I like about Oklahoma is what it already is: safe, quiet, affordable nice newer housing, restaurants and shopping nearby, easy commute, tolerable schools, retail stores, and basically everything we go to often within an easy 5 minute drive. Plus, easy parking when we get there. Try that in an urban city. Walking with toddlers down the urban streets to get groceries? No thank you. Give me my suburbs any day where everything is a short, quick drive that's relatively hassle free. Plus, it's safe out here. And, clean.

I say all of this having lived in several of the country's largest urban areas before in TINY high-rise and mid-rise downtown apartments.

Thread Information