Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Quail Springs Mall

Default Re: Quail Springs Mall

Just updated the article at the top of the page with all the history of this property, including when it was first proposed in 1972, the original tenant list from 1980, etc.

2. Default Re: Quail Springs Mall --- Finally, it's own thread.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    They have probably demolished 60 percent of the old Sears building. I can see why its not opening until Fall 2014 now. It would probably be faster if they just demolished the whole thing and rebuilt from scratch.
    We went to Quail Saturday and I walked around outside that end to have a close look. My first thought was that if you're going to demolish as much as they did it's almost always faster, and often cheaper to go to dirt and start from scratch.

3. Default Re: Quail Springs Mall

The finishes in Dillard's have not been updated since opening day. Last time I was in the children's clothing area, my kid crawled on the same carpet I did at that age...

4. Default Re: Quail Springs Mall

Grody

I am not sure if it's been mentioned yet but Hollister has closed. It seems like more name-brand stores are leaving the mall than opening. It really reminds me of early 2000s Crossroads. The mall was still relevant, but signs were starting to show of its demise. Hopefully Von Maur coming signals a turning point for the mall.

6. Default Re: Quail Springs Mall

Yeah, seriously, enclosed malls in general are struggling. Consumer tastes have changed greatly, and they have become an anachronism. The thriving Penn Square Mall is an aberration not just locally, but nationally. Its success probably disguises the trend for the local market, and makes us more surprised than we should be when other local malls struggle. It's not so much a comment on Quail as it is the industry in general. In fact, if the theater had not been built there in the late nineties the mall would probably already be in serious, serious trouble. Hopefully they can find more ways to stave off the trend and stay relevant (Von Maur will help), but the main secret to PSM's success is its geographical location.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I am not sure if it's been mentioned yet but Hollister has closed. It seems like more name-brand stores are leaving the mall than opening. It really reminds me of early 2000s Crossroads. The mall was still relevant, but signs were starting to show of its demise. Hopefully Von Maur coming signals a turning point for the mall.
    Abercrombie & Fitch Closing 180 Stores By 2015

Abercrombie and Fitch owns Hollister

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Yeah, seriously, enclosed malls in general are struggling. Consumer tastes have changed greatly, and they have become an anachronism. The thriving Penn Square Mall is an aberration not just locally, but nationally. Its success probably disguises the trend for the local market, and makes us more surprised than we should be when other local malls struggle. It's not so much a comment on Quail as it is the industry in general. In fact, if the theater had not been built there in the late nineties the mall would probably already be in serious, serious trouble. Hopefully they can find more ways to stave off the trend and stay relevant (Von Maur will help), but the main secret to PSM's success is its geographical location.
    Some enclosed malls are struggling but it really isn't that black and white. You have to consider the reasons enclosed malls are struggling and where they are doing so. Penn Square isn't an aberration and there is more to Quail Springs' woes than simply national trends. For one, OKC doesn't have lifestyle centers competing with the malls like other cities do. Elsewhere, its the growth of lifestyle centers that have hurt the malls. What does OKC have competing with the malls other than Wal-Mart Supercenters everywhere?

Let me use Charlotte as an example. Yes, it's a larger city than OKC but not that much so. That city has three thriving malls, the worst of which puts even Penn Square to shame, plus numerous lifestyle centers on top of that. They also had a huge mall, Eastland, that was very much like Crossroads and it ended up failing. In addition, there were smaller malls, much like Heritage Park that also failed within the past decade. The remaining malls are doing fine. Nationally, upscale malls are doing well all around. Its the Crossroads' and Eastlands of the world that are failing.

A city the size of OKC without a single lifestyle center should be able to support more than one enclosed mall and there is no reason for Quail Springs to be struggling. None whatsoever.

Some enclosed malls are struggling but it really isn't that black and white. You have to consider the reasons enclosed malls are struggling and where they are doing so. Penn Square isn't an aberration and there is more to Quail Springs' woes than simply national trends. For one, OKC doesn't have lifestyle centers competing with the malls like other cities do. Elsewhere, its the growth of lifestyle centers that have hurt the malls. What does OKC have other than Wal-Mart Supercenters everywhere?

Let me use Charlotte as an example. Yes, it's a larger city than OKC but not that much so. That city has three thriving malls, the worst of which puts even Penn Square to shame, plus numerous lifestyle centers on top of that. They also had a huge mall, Eastland, that was very much like Crossroads and it ended up failing. In addition, there were smaller malls, much like Heritage Park that also failed within the past decade. The remaining malls are doing fine. Nationally, upscale malls are doing well all around. Its the Crossroads' and Eastlands of the world that are failing.

A city the size of OKC without a single lifestyle center should be able to support more than one enclosed mall and there is no reason for Quail Springs to be struggling. None whatsoever.
    It's been a while since we've had one of these...

Here's a thought, maybe people just don't like A&F or Hollister's clothes anymore. Honestly, I'd wager that most people are probably going low end for clothes, or high end, leaving the middle ground like these stores out.

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    It's been a while since we've had one of these...

Here's a thought, maybe people just don't like A&F or Hollister's clothes anymore. Honestly, I'd wager that most people are probably going low end for clothes, or high end, leaving the middle ground like these stores out.
    This isn't about Hollister or A&F. It's about the general direction of Quail Springs in which it seems like the national stores are exiting and being replaced by stores like Image and Ruth's. I agree that A&F and Hollister are past their prime, but why aren't they being replaced by today's stores like Urban Outfitters, H&M, American Apparel, etc?

This isn't about Hollister or A&F. It's about the general direction of Quail Springs in which it seems like the national stores are exiting and being replaced by stores like Image and Ruth's. I agree that A&F and Hollister are past their prime, but why aren't they being replaced by today's stores like Urban Outfitters, H&M, American Apparel, etc?
    pahdz knows of what he speaks. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/03/bu...orld.html?_r=0

Also, UO, H&M, and AA aren't really parallels in any meaningful way with AF and Hollister, which market bro clothes. And AA in particular is not exactly a thriving brand. It's a penny stock forever on the verge of collapse.

Well, whatever it is, QSM better figure it out and fix it quick. Crossroads moved to slow and ended up languishing for a long time until it finally died. If all the proposed stuff for that area end up going in, QSM is gonna have a lot of competition in the area. Replacing stores like Hollister with local shops with names like Carolyn's Country Collectibles just won't do.

There is too much money around QSM for it to fail like that. Von Maur will be a huge help, but they definitely do need to figure something out.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Well, whatever it is, QSM better figure it out and fix it quick. Crossroads moved to slow and ended up languishing for a long time until it finally died. If all the proposed stuff for that area end up going in, QSM is gonna have a lot of competition in the area. Replacing stores like Hollister with local shops with names like Carolyn's Country Collectibles just won't do.
    Completely agree. I want to re-iterate there is absolutely no reason for Quail Springs to be struggling. Tuscana was not built and the mall is surrounding by some of the most desirable neighborhoods in the OKC metro. It's only competition is Penn Square and that is actually pretty small as far as regional malls go. The mall has a nice, fairly updated interior and has not had any major crime incidents that I am aware of. Why then, are stores like Hollister being replaced by low-rate mom and pop stores?

Completely agree. I want to re-iterate there is absolutely no reason for Quail Springs to be struggling. Tuscana was not built and the mall is surrounding by some of the most desirable neighborhoods in the OKC metro. It's only competition is Penn Square and that is actually pretty small as far as regional malls go. The mall has a nice, fairly updated interior and has not had any major crime incidents that I am aware of. Why then, are stores like Hollister being replaced by low-rate mom and pop stores?
    Because Hollister sucks?

Quote Originally Posted by ProV1x View Post
    Because Hollister sucks?
    You are missing the point. Hollister is yesterday's fad. The fact is that national brand stores are being replaced by no-name stores. That is a telltale early sign of a mall in decline.

You are missing the point. Hollister is yesterday's fad. The fact is that national brand stores are being replaced by no-name stores. That is a telltale early sign of a mall in decline.
    If Hollister sucks, and is yesterday's fad, and it is being replaced, why does that mean the mall is in decline? To me, it says that they are trying to turn around their image of having crappy stores that market towards middle schoolers.

Quote Originally Posted by ProV1x View Post
    If Hollister sucks, and is yesterday's fad, and it is being replaced, why does that mean the mall is in decline? To me, it says that they are trying to turn around their image of having crappy stores that market towards middle schoolers.
    10 years ago Hollister was a solid brand whether you ever liked it or not. It's a sign that the mall may be in decline that such stores are being replaced by low end, mom and pop stores rather than today's trendy stores. Like it or not, national clothing brands have more staying power and do better sales per square foot than a store like Kountry Kollectibles.

Hollister was a great store with a great atmosphere, I just think their clothing got a little old. I mean, when you get down to it, they were mainly just plain cotton t-shirts made in Vietnam that said Hollister on it. People got tired of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Hollister was a great store with a great atmosphere, I just think their clothing got a little old. I mean, when you get down to it, they were mainly just plain cotton t-shirts made in Vietnam that said Hollister on it. People got tired of it.
    The teenagers that grew up with Hollister grew out of it and it's not as cool to today's teens as it was to teenagers last decade. It happens with every generational clothing fad.

The teenagers that grew up with Hollister grew out of it and it's not as cool to today's teens as it was to teenagers last decade. It happens with every generational clothing fad.
    DON'T SAY THAT TO ME AND MY BELL BOTTOMS AND PUFFY LONG SLEEVE PAISLY SHIRT.
    I'm stylin', man!

Well as far a a good news for qsm. They just wrapped the old justice location across from Express to be a Pink store by VS. I agree that they need to get more national retailers and I think the closer they get to VonMar opening you will see them pop up. You have to think VonMar wouldn't go into a mall where they didn't see improvements happening and a great future.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    DON'T SAY THAT TO ME AND MY BELL BOTTOMS AND PUFFY LONG SLEEVE PAISLY SHIRT.
    I'm stylin', man!
    Pink by VS just wrapped the old Justice location across from Express. This is a good sign for qsm and I understand there's more to come.

2 quick updates, Hot Topic is currently remodeling and will re open in the next week or so and Pink by VS is opening it's Pink store in the next 2 weeks.

Also it was stated in the Von Mar thread that GNC closed but in fact that was a am and pop vitamin store and GNC is at the penny's wing.

Blog Entries

10 years ago Hollister was a solid brand whether you ever liked it or not. It's a sign that the mall may be in decline that such stores are being replaced by low end, mom and pop stores rather than today's trendy stores. Like it or not, national clothing brands have more staying power and do better sales per square foot than a store like Kountry Kollectibles.
    You keep trying to convince everyone QSM is in trouble and it's clearly not. Nor is the growing area around it.

Thread Information