Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Quail Springs Mall

Default Re: Quail Springs Mall

When will Qauil Springs get John A. Brown?

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Agreed if it wasn't for H&M and Von Maur, Quail would be Crossroads 2.0/Promenade and most likely Macy's and/or Dillards would've moved to Chisolm Creek.
    For some reason I can't imagine a Nordstrom right near a Nordstrom Rack. And yeah Tulsa promenade has been on a slow decline for years, They've lost tenants like GAP, Pacsun, Express and most recently Lane Bryant Deb and Body Central. They're trying to renovate the mall and bring in more tenants, but I can't see that saving Promenade especially if an outlet mall (or 3) is built in Tulsa.

Tulsa Promenade Mall preparing for new national retailers, working to complete renovations - KJRH.com

BTW, Quail Springs isn't done.

They have purposely cleared out tenants and there is still some vacancy besides the H&M space, and they are seeking some nicer stores.

They believe Chisholm Creek will actually help them attract some higher end retailers.

That's awesome. Any hints to what additional retailers QSM is getting?

Not sure but I know they are actively working on several deals.

Getting Von Maur and H&M will help them a great deal.

Really happy that H&M is official, but I'm sad QSM kicked out Disney Store!
    Does anyone know if they will reopen somewhere else, or is the Outlet Shoppes location the only option for the state now?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    BTW, Quail Springs isn't done.

They have purposely cleared out tenants and there is still some vacancy besides the H&M space, and they are seeking some nicer stores.

They believe Chisholm Creek will actually help them attract some higher end retailers.
    I've always thought that Chisholm Creek would help QSM, just like the 71st & Memorial - Garnett corridor in Tulsa. The more that builds along 71st, the stronger Woodland Hills gets. It would be nice if the area wasn't completely cut up by the highway, though.

I really don't see QSM going any where. Hopefully Von Maur inspires Macy's and Dillards to update. If that happens the mall would really feel pretty strong. And if they got rid of the North-South facing sliding doors that never close would help too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Not sure but I know they are actively working on several deals.

Getting Von Maur and H&M will help them a great deal.
    Zara stores are often located adjacent to or very near H&M stores. Might be a possibility or Top Shop - these are the things the dad of a teenage girl learns.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    I really don't see QSM going any where. Hopefully Von Maur inspires Macy's and Dillards to update. If that happens the mall would really feel pretty strong. And if they got rid of the North-South facing sliding doors that never close would help too.
    I agree. The QSM locations for Macy's and Dillard's are so outdated its unbelievable. Its almost like they aren't even the same store as the Penn Square locations. I always try to shop there but usually end up at Penn anyways because there is a lot that they don't have. Hopefully Von Maur and now H&M inspires them to do a remodel.

^I like the Dillards way more at Penn Sq. That area is booming, so you know the mall will become better as time goes on.

I don't know that we've ever had 3 malls aggressively trying to upgrade and expand at the same time here. Will be interesting to see who brings which tenants and if OKC has the volume to support all of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    I don't know that we've ever had 3 malls aggressively trying to upgrade and expand at the same time here. Will be interesting to see who brings which tenants and if OKC has the volume to support all of it.
    Who are the three? QSM, ... Penn Square? Outlet? Crossroads? Chisolm Creek?
    Not argumentative. Just curious who you were referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    I agree. The QSM locations for Macy's and Dillard's are so outdated its unbelievable. Its almost like they aren't even the same store as the Penn Square locations. I always try to shop there but usually end up at Penn anyways because there is a lot that they don't have. Hopefully Von Maur and now H&M inspires them to do a remodel.
    I am pretty sure the Dillard's at Woodland Hills in Tulsa has been updated twice since the last time the QSM location has been changed. At least the QSM location still has the same flooring the Woodland store had two remodels ago (~20 years ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Who are the three? QSM, ... Penn Square? Outlet? Crossroads? Chisolm Creek?
    Not argumentative. Just curious who you were referring to.
    Probably QSM, Chisholm Creek, and Glimcher.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Probably QSM, Chisholm Creek, and Glimcher.
    I was just talking about Penn, Quail, and the Outlet. I consider those to be actual malls, while Chisolm Creek and Glimcher are more lifestyle centers. Penn may not be expanding in size, but it has remodeled and upped it's tenant game. My point is that the last time Penn or Quail had ever tried, there was no Outlet. But you make a good point that Chisolm Creek and Glimcher will also be adding to the retail mix around here. I personally love it. I just wonder if the malls are fighting each other to get certain tenants and how the city will respond to the new found competition.

All good things, just business nerd curiosity.

H&M opening at noon on Sept. 3rd.

Quail Springs H&M store gets opening date | NewsOK.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_M View Post
    I was just talking about Penn, Quail, and the Outlet. I consider those to be actual malls, while Chisolm Creek and Glimcher are more lifestyle centers. Penn may not be expanding in size, but it has remodeled and upped it's tenant game. My point is that the last time Penn or Quail had ever tried, there was no Outlet. But you make a good point that Chisolm Creek and Glimcher will also be adding to the retail mix around here. I personally love it. I just wonder if the malls are fighting each other to get certain tenants and how the city will respond to the new found competition.

All good things, just business nerd curiosity.
    No. There is Penn Square and everything else. PSM has a waiting list last I heard. It's first-class, imo.

This has its own thread in the retail forum but I thought I would bump this.

Macy's is closing its Quail Springs Mall store. Not surprising given that its one of the worst Macy's I've ever shopped it. I do wonder what this means for the future of the mall. If they are able to get a quality tenant, this could be a good thing for the mall. If not...then...

Bad news for QSM. Anytime you lose one of your major anchors it's not a good sign. I think QSM is in trouble and has been for some time.

I can't say I'm really surprised about this. Quail was one of Macy's underperforming stores. I also wouldn't be surprised at all if Dillard's is next to move out. If Dillards follows suit and leaves, the mall will be in a serious state of decline that owners (GGP) may not be able to overcome. I think if Dillard's leaves, the mall is toast. Dillard's isn't quite as bad off nationally though as Macy's is, so I bet they continue operations at Quail, albeit investing little into an underperforming store.

The reason stores don't invest in remodels at QSM is because there's no return for the investment. Back when I was part of the Wileman-Belle Isle HOA and became friends with the mall manager at Penn Square, the data showed that sales per square foot were more than 6 times greater at Penn than Quail. Quail Springs was one of the weakest performing malls in the south region when looking at sales per square foot, which is the main statistic that retailers look at when making these types of decisions. In comparison, Penn has one of the highest sales per square foot of any mall in the south region, and they're definitely first in the state, ahead of even their sister mall, Woodland Hills. That and the limited space are the reasons that Penn has a long waiting list of prospective tenants. The main reason H&M chose Quail is because they had the empty space (Penn just didn't have that large of a space available and wasn't going to be able to accommodate them in the foreseeable future). Von Maur chose Quail because they had the space available, it was a new market for them, and Quail (General Growth Properties - GGP) offered them large financial incentives to move there. From what I've heard through the retail grapevine, sales at Von Maur haven't been great and the only reason they've stayed is because of the large investment that was made in the property, the incentives, and the long term lease. Of note, at higher performing malls, competition can work the system the opposite direction, where retailers put up money to bid for spaces. For example, at Penn, Forever 21 replaced Pottery Barn Kids because they put in a higher guarantee for the space. Same for Foot Locker which took over the J's Hallmark space, forcing Hallmark out of the mall. Also, for the most part, when a retailer is going to have to choose 1 location for the entire city, they're going to pick the location with highest sales. Thus, the reason Macy's is closing their QSM location and keeping the Penn location open. And most retailers are going to invest more in their store locations with higher sales, where there's a higher return on the investment, thus the reasons for the upgrades at the Penn locations and not the Quail locations. Also, the mall owner can dictate remodels as well. I know that Simon used to require remodels every few years. But Simon can be a little more picky with Penn since they have a waiting list and thus competition.

I do think that a store like Belk would be a good fit for Quail. It's a little lower end than Macy's, which seems to fit more of the target demographic that mall management is trying to attract. Their target is more middle class families, and always has been. The only problem with that is that middle class families are leaving mall retailers in favor of discount big box retailers. The strip shopping centers on Memorial are really squeezing Quail out of the market. In comparison Penn tries to market more to the young professional and professional mother/home maker, people living in the inner city upscale neighborhoods like Crown Heights/Heritage Hills, and of course Nichols Hills, which keeps Penn afloat. IMO, Quail really missed the boat by not going more upscale, to try to attract the Edmond crowd, and even the crowd within the general vicinity of the mall....there are lots of higher end rooftops within a mile radius of Quail, including Gaillardia, which Quail is really missing out on by not targeting. Instead, upscale shopping villages in Edmond like Spring Creek have taken the lead with that demographic. One thing to also consider is location. Being farther north, Quail draws mostly from north OKC and Edmond. Being more centrally located, Penn draws from all over the city. So Penn has a lot larger demographic.

I think Quail is in trouble. Belk might come to their rescue, but given Quail's poor sales numbers in general, it won't be an easy sale. Still, GGP is a large retail management corp that has a lot of connections, power in the retailer industry, and capital. And they can offer incentives to land a Belk in the space. But they'll have to offset the poor sales performance of retailers in that mall.

I wonder if they could lure a Nordstrom in. Nord plus Von maur and QSM would be an awesome mall

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    I wonder if they could lure a Nordstrom in. Nord plus Von maur and QSM would be an awesome mall
    Not with how poor the sales are at that mall. They couldn't even support a Macy's and the Dillard's is another underperforming store. It's a lower tier mall in the south region. I hear that Von Maur has not done well.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Not with how poor the sales are at that mall. They couldn't even support a Macy's and the Dillard's is another underperforming store. It's a lower tier mall in the south region. I hear that Von Maur has not done well.
    The dillards is awful there. They need to update the spaces, the lighting and the concourses if they want better traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Chadanth View Post
    The dillards is awful there. They need to update the spaces, the lighting and the concourses if they want better traffic.
    They're not going to upgrade the Dillard's because the sales just aren't there. Poor return on the investment.

Belk would be the best fit for Quail Springs Mall; they do well at the Dallas Galleria and I believe there is a Belk in Owasso, as well, in the big lifestyle center up there. I seriously doubt Nordstrom's would invest in the former Macy's space. Meanwhile, other tenants are going to be following... it was written up today that Disney was going to be leaving the mall. Also, I was at Quail Springs Mall tonight, and another tenant said it would leave and not renew their lease. I won't say who that tenant is, but they've been there at least 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    Belk would be the best fit for Quail Springs Mall; they do well at the Dallas Galleria and I believe there is a Belk in Owasso, as well, in the big lifestyle center up there. I seriously doubt Nordstrom's would invest in the former Macy's space. Meanwhile, other tenants are going to be following... it was written up today that Disney was going to be leaving the mall. Also, I was at Quail Springs Mall tonight, and another tenant said it would leave and not renew their lease. I won't say who that tenant is, but they've been there at least 5 years.
    Disney has been gone for more than a year. They left to make room for H&M.

Anyways, as I've said in the thread about Macy's, QSM needs to change their approach and target upscale retailers and customers. If that means an interior remodel, so be it, but that's the only way they will survive. Enclosed malls are not as popular these days with middle class families and malls that primarily target them are struggling nationwide.

QSM will continue to report low sales per sq foot as long as there are so many stores like Dial N'Style and Cash & Gold.

Thread Information