Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprouts

1. Default Re: Sunflower Farmers Market to 6401 N. May

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Went yesterday. Awesome store! Protesters present but there were still tons of people. If the protesters are from Homeland, then they should take note what Sunflower is doing. If local places actually carried significant numbers of healthy food, locally produced, then I would shop there. Since they don't, I'll shop at Sunflower.
    My wife and I decided to go "early" today (Saturday) to avoid or minimize the customer crush and we got there around 8:30 a.m. (Sunflower's hours are 7 am - 11 pm, 7 days) ... it wasn't quite as packed at 8:30 this morning but it was still pretty full ... I'm liking this place more and more ... but that not what I want to say.

1. Sunflower is moving forward new metro locations sooner than planned. After my wife and I left, I looked at the checkout tape and it looked as though two Amy's frozen cheese enchilada dinners which were advertised as being 2 for $5 were charged individually at $4.29 each (and I highly recommend this product, by the way). I went back into the store, spoke with the checkout person, and a young (in his 30s) man came over and I repeated my brief explanation ... as we went to the frozen foods area and I mentioned to him the description in the weekly on-line flyer for this product. Looking at the pricing info described at the appropriate shopping isle location, he said, yes, this had apparently been mismarked and the discount pricing should apply. From some of his comments during our conversation, I surmised (but did not ask) that he was not from Okc but was a manager or assistant manager who had moved here from someplace else. Anyway, we went back to a fast-lane checkout counter that wasn't being used and he cheerfully refunded the difference. He asked, other than this matter, how I liked the store, and I replied, "Very well." And, now, back to the point. I said, to the effect, "It looks like Sunflower has been warmly welcomed in Okc," and he said, "Yes, unbelievably so. That's why we have moved forward with our plan to add an Edmond store right away instead of doing that six months down the line." I replied that I'd noticed that announcement in this week's newspaper stories. So, apparently, Sunflower is as enchanted with Okc as Okc is with Sunflower.

2. About the footprint size of the grocery. During the above conversation, I mentioned that I'd gauge the May Ave. store to be the size of a mid-sized grocery. The person agreed. I also said that, given the relatively small footprint, that a large number of items were in the store ... which undoubtedly accounted for the narrow isles. He said, yes, that's the trade-off. He said that Sunflower does not build new buildings but always establishes new stores in existing buildings ... that is a way of saving on overhead costs, he said.

3. Union Protestors. On leaving, we drove by the two union demonstrators which were located along May Ave. I decided to stop and speak with them, and we did. I asked if either of them worked for a grocer in the city, and neither did. I then asked, "Why then are you protesting?" The answer was sort of vague but employee unions and "buy local" mantras were mentioned ... and I'm not one who is unsympathetic with either position. I'm not at all against union collective bargaining and I certainly favor the premise of "buying local." I said, "What city grocers are "local?", and the reply was that Homeland and Crest were two. Given some of the comments in this thread, I said, "Are you SURE about Homeland?," and I was told, "Yes." Not being well-versed about that, I didn't inquire further. But, wondering about employee wage matters, I said, "Isn't it true that Homeland (a union shop) pays its workers less than what Sunflower (a non-union shop) is paying theirs?" The answer was, "Yes, but that's just a tactic ... wages will go down later and that's a Sunflower tactic, or something along those lines.

4. The Unasked Questions. The questions that I didn't think to ask, but should have, is that, "Why isn't Homeland offering the same quality of produce and other edible products, and at the prices that Sunflower is?" My neighborhood Homeland is at NW 18th & Classen, and I promise you that if that Homeland offered the products and prices that Sunflower does, I'd much rather drive 4-5 blocks from my home and be a happy camper than driving to NW 63rd and May. But it doesn't, and I've now been to Sunflower 4 or 5 (not sure which) times since it opened. Plus, Sunflower does seem to make an effort to buy from state suppliers when the products are "locally" available.

Whether or not Homeland is a "local" company or not, and I know that Crest is, the bottom line is that product quality and price of products are what consumers are looking for, I think. Competition is not a bad thing, I think. Make your own offerings better to match the competitors, I'd have to say. I have a sense that Crest get it, but that Homeland does not.

Default Re: Sunflower Farmers Market to 6401 N. May

It is a bit of a drive for me to buy groceries that might need to be refrigerated but once the temperatures fall, I plan to check out Sunflower AND Whole Foods.

I'm really excited about the store in Edmond. It will be really convenient to our neighborhood.

Default Sunflower Market Edmond

Sunflower Market is coming to Edmond. It will be located on Broadway and 2nd at the old Color Tile store. They start work next week.

http://www.sunflowermarkets.com/Default.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by mcca7596 View Post
    I think that previous grocery studies had concluded that we didn't have enough dense areas of necessary income thresholds within 5 mile radii of potential store locations. They didn't take into account Oklahomans' willingness to drive everywhere.
    I think many companies try to apply the metrics that are common in other markets to OKC and don't understand the OKC mentality. I know many here is Austin who think that "anything on the other side of the river" requires planning a trip and a possible overnight stay..... It seems that many native Austinites know little about the area outside of Austin while us transplants know more about the region than those who have spent their lived here. The limits of the adventures outside the are are limited to tubing in the New Braunfels area, a swim at Hamilton Pool or a Greune Hall show. When I have talked about some of my motorcycle rides out in the Hill Country most have a blank stare about the area although they rave about the Hill Country. I guess growing up in OKC I just expect to travel more, my West Texas wife seems to have the same view since they had to travel 30 miles to Odessa or 60 miles to Midland to do many things.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    [*]Union Protestors. On leaving, we drove by the two union demonstrators which were located along May Ave. I decided to stop and speak with them, and we did. I asked if either of them worked for a grocer in the city, and neither did. I then asked, "Why then are you protesting?" The answer was sort of vague but employee unions and "buy local" mantras were mentioned ... and I'm not one who is unsympathetic with either position. I'm not at all against union collective bargaining and I certainly favor the premise of "buying local." I said, "What city grocers are "local?", and the reply was that Homeland and Crest were two. Given some of the comments in this thread, I said, "Are you SURE about Homeland?," and I was told, "Yes." Not being well-versed about that, I didn't inquire further. But, wondering about employee wage matters, I said, "Isn't it true that Homeland (a union shop) pays its workers less than what Sunflower (a non-union shop) is paying theirs?" The answer was, "Yes, but that's just a tactic ... wages will go down later and that's a Sunflower tactic, or something along those lines.
    Most "union protester" are just people hired to protest, pretty much "professional protesters" and most are not union members. There was an ad in the Austin alternative weekly paper a few years ago with a want ad for protesters. There was even an article in that paper and on one of the TV stations about the use of "non-union" protesters hired to do nothing but protest at a "contract rate" well below that of what minimum wage with no benefits that seemed at odds of what they were protesting. I saw a protest up in Denver at the BOK owned Colorado State Bank and Trust and neither of the protesters bore any resemblance to what you would think a "bank employee" would look like, in fact both of them looked like their "full time job" would have been street corner panhandlers, so holding a sign up on a street corner was a common skill for them.

I do know at the time those of us who worked at Skaggs (early 80's) made more than the union workers at Humpty Dumpty and Safeway/Homeland. I know that they cut wages in the late 80's while Homeland did not do that until the early 90's. You could make a pretty good living in the grocery sector until those cuts occurred. As far as I know they have not cut wages at the Sunflower stores that have been open a few years here in Austin, that is just standard union rhetoric.

6. Default Re: Sunflower Farmers Market to 6401 N. May

Went again today around 12:30 or so. It was still very busy, but not nearly as crowded as two weeks ago. We found a parking space easily, most of what we were looking for easily (it's frustrating when people stand right in front of the item you want or need and are pondering their purchase and WON'T MOVE...but that's everywhere) and the checker commended us for our ability to use the bags labeled "organic" for organic produce and for writing the PLU number on the rice I purchased from the bulk area. I mean, it's kind of common sense, but she said we would all be trained eventually!

I got out with 2 avocados, organic broccoli, 2 things of berries, a flank steak, and half a pound of jasmine rice for $12. I'm most proud of the flank steak lol.
    Still corrupting young minds

Default Re: Sunflower Market Edmond

This is great news for Edmond. I'm excited.

I worked for Pratt's back in the 90's and I made more than my friends who working at Homeland under a union contract. At the time minimum wage was $4.25 an hour. I started out at $5.00 an hour as a bagger and moved up to Deli Seafood with in a year to $6.35 an hour with regular overtime. My friends at Homeland were making $5.00 an hour with 75 cents going to union dues. In general the local grocers have always paid better. My bosses wanted to be competitive with Jewel-Osco / Skaggs / Albertson's (or Whatever name they chose to be under that given year). My old neighbor moonlighted at the Reno Crest for a little while as a stocker and he made pretty good money.

The thing I loved about Pratts was we got paid every Friday. Back then, I was a teenager. When your a teenager every Friday payday is just awesome all the way around. My folks loved it too... I never had to hit them up for money. I always had plenty. I would save a little, spend a little and still have money left over.

9. Default Re: Sunflower Farmers Market to 6401 N. May

I was in today and was packed. Parking was tricky in the afternoon but patience is key! Once in I got all I wanted for $14 and overheard the cashier talking to the woman in front of me saying 6-8 months for the Edmond store.

Haven't went yet but am hoping to take a trip soon.

Also can't wait for the Edmond Sunflower Farmers Market to open.

Yeah, the unions are ruining Homeland. They don't have a chance in the long term.

One of my friends worked at Homeland and is now working at Sunflower. She is making a lot more money, has better benefits, and works only 40 hours a week instead of 70 that she was working at Homeland. She loves working there and is excited about their expansion to other parts of OKC!

we drive from mustang. bring a freezer bag for the cold stuff. produce is great. loaded up on the 3 avocados for $1. i'm looking forward to the edmond store opening so i have an easier time parking!

10 to 15 more miles just to have an easier time parking?

10 to 15 more miles just to have an easier time parking?
    I'm thinking mark means the parking will be easier at the May/63rd store. . . which is what I'm looking forward to!!

of course, my bad.

of course, my bad.
    not at all!! We're just all elated to have these people in the City. I think retailers, at long last, are "discovering" OKC!!

Quote Originally Posted by oneforone View Post
    My friends at Homeland were making $5.00 an hour with 75 cents going to union dues.
    Did I read that correctly? That's insane.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyQuilts View Post
    Did I read that correctly? That's insane.
    A friend worked there in the early-90's and she had been there for many years (since she was in high school) and her union dues were quite a bit more than her uncle who worked at AT&T under a CWA contract. He was a die hard union guy and even he thought the UFCW was screwing over the Homeland employees. I think at the time she had to work 1.5 or 2 hours a week to cover the union dues.

I'm so glad to hear that Sunflower market is already looking at expanding! The current location is fine for me as I live in North OKC and work on May Ave, but every time I've visited I've wished they had one in Norman where my brother and sister in law live. My sister in law is a vegetarian who doesn't do much cooking of her own, and one of the things I've really noticed about Sunflower is that it has a much wider variety of frozen vegetarian items than I'm used to seeing at area grocery stores. And it's not just the bigger selection of Amy's frozen dinners. I didn't even know they made meatless "chicken" tenders until my last shopping trip there (though I'm still asking myself why one would want meatless chicken tenders). I hope Norman comes soon after the proposed Edmond location!

shriekingviolet: until they get a Sunflowers in Norman, may want to check out Buy 4 Less...pretty sure I have seen meatless chicken tenders and the like at the one on Portland & NW Expressway (but probably smaller selection than Sunflower). besides Amy's, they are also carrying more vegetarian mexican too

Quote Originally Posted by shriekingviolet View Post
    I'm so glad to hear that Sunflower market is already looking at expanding! The current location is fine for me as I live in North OKC and work on May Ave, but every time I've visited I've wished they had one in Norman where my brother and sister in law live. My sister in law is a vegetarian who doesn't do much cooking of her own, and one of the things I've really noticed about Sunflower is that it has a much wider variety of frozen vegetarian items than I'm used to seeing at area grocery stores. And it's not just the bigger selection of Amy's frozen dinners. I didn't even know they made meatless "chicken" tenders until my last shopping trip there (though I'm still asking myself why one would want meatless chicken tenders). I hope Norman comes soon after the proposed Edmond location!
    They aren't looking at expanding, they ARE! Surprisingly, the vegetarian or meatless chicken patties by Morningstar are fantastic, and you can get them anywhere such as Walmart or target

That is very exciting - really sad for that location to sit empty.

I agree i like the morning star ground crumbled meatless hamburger meat, i use it to make chili and it is really good....

Ah man, that's right across the street from the Edmond Sun! Wow! Can't wait.

I have to say that I too went to Sunflower to see what all the fuss is about. I am sure they have some wonderful products. It was so crowed that I could not explore the products and make my buying decisions. The isles were small and there did not seem to be a flow to the layout. This might be because of the large number of people in the store. I bought a few things and got then got the heck out of Dodge. When the crowds go away I am sure I will go back to give Sunflower another try. Looked like a blizzard coming to OKC and everyone was stocking up. Everyone thanks for posting it will defiantly help in my grocery buying decisions.

Thread Information