Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Sprouts

Default Re: Sunflower Market Edmond

I wonder if the Edmond location is going to have the same parking headaches as the OKC store along with union protesters?

Default Re: Sunflower Farmers Market to 6401 N. May

stopped in half-price books while there friday night. they said they've been seeing more traffic since sunflower market opened, including people who thought they just opened (they've been there at least two years already!)

My wife has been there a couple of times and raves about it. Better, fresher produce and meats at lower prices than Wallyworld. She brought home some organically grown grapes that are just wonderful.

4. Default Re: Sunflower Farmers Market to 6401 N. May

Tried some of the pre-made stuff yesterday and today. I had some Italian Wedding soup and a pretzel roll (very tasty, and hot! But I think someone took all the meatballs before I got to it), Mid tried the sushi. He said the rice was different than he was used to, but it was still decent sushi, especially since it came from a grocery. It looked fresh to me. We also had little slices of cheesecake. Rich and tasty.

I got some of the hummus today, and it's very tasty. They have a large selection of flavors, though today I just got plain. I'm intrigued by the artichoke hummus.

Yesterday and today were still very busy, but nothing like it was. I think everyone's down at WF looking around! I plan to get there eventually, but with $4 large bottles of olive oil and $0.99/lb short grain brown rice, I have to go to Sunflower.

Today, just under $40 got me the following: a pound of brussel sprouts, mushrooms, a bell pepper, vine tomatoes, 2 onions, organic baby spinach, hummus, pita chips, olive oil, white wine vinegar, reduced sodium chicken broth, tomato sauce, marinara sauce, brown sugar, a small container of OJ, whole wheat hamburger buns, 1/2lb short grain brown rice, and I think that's it! Didn't get any meat today, though I can say that a steak I had from there previously was very tasty and economical, since it was on sale at the time.
    Still corrupting young minds

Sunflower is our primary grocery store now. I've been very satisfied with the quality and the prices are very reasonable. With Whole Foods open now it really just shows how cheap Sunflower is. We aren't spending any more per week there than we were at Crest or WalMart and what we get is generally better and more focused. Really, a very nice well managed grocery store.

6. Default Re: Sunflower Farmers Market to 6401 N. May

I also noticed at my last Sunflower shopping trip Sunday last that the crowdedness has thinned out considerably, now that Whole Foods is open. I also found that one of my favorites there, whole wheat "seeded" hamburger buns (we call them "seed buns" in my family), as well as Mission salsa (both of which I'd purchased at Sunflower previously), were nowhere to be found. I'll ask about those and other matters on my my next trip this coming weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by EBAH View Post
    Sunflower is our primary grocery store now. I've been very satisfied with the quality and the prices are very reasonable. With Whole Foods open now it really just shows how cheap Sunflower is. We aren't spending any more per week there than we were at Crest or WalMart and what we get is generally better and more focused. Really, a very nice well managed grocery store.
    Are you buying things like staple goods, canned goods, drug department items as well? Are they as reasonable as other places like Crest or Walmart?

8. Default Re: Sunflower Farmers Market to 6401 N. May

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Loudenback View Post
    I also noticed at my last Sunflower shopping trip Sunday last that the crowdedness has thinned out considerably, now that Whole Foods is open. I also found that one of my favorites there, whole wheat "seeded" hamburger buns (we call them "seed buns" in my family), as well as Mission salsa (both of which I'd purchased at Sunflower previously), were nowhere to be found. I'll ask about those and other matters on my my next trip this coming weekend.
    We found whole wheat seeded hamburger buns on Sunday. Maybe they were just out by the time you got there?

9. Default Re: Sunflower Farmers Market to 6401 N. May

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Are you buying things like staple goods, canned goods, drug department items as well? Are they as reasonable as other places like Crest or Walmart?
    The spaghetti sauce, olive oil, white wine vinegar, and chicken broth I bought were all cheaper than their name-brand counterparts as far as I could remember. I was able to get a can of organic tomato sauce for a $1, I think. A 14-15oz can, not a little one.

i've enjoyed every trip i've mad to the store except for one thing: they STILL don't have the recipe cards for the bulk items!!! i'd like to try the falafel and hummous mixes, but without knowing how much water to mix in, i won't buy it. i've been there once a week since the store opened and have spoken to someone on all but two occassions.

Quote Originally Posted by bandnerd View Post
    The spaghetti sauce, olive oil, white wine vinegar, and chicken broth I bought were all cheaper than their name-brand counterparts as far as I could remember. I was able to get a can of organic tomato sauce for a $1, I think. A 14-15oz can, not a little one.
    I'm thinking more in terms of canned vegetables, sugar, flower, boxed cereal, toothpaste, razor blades, etc.

12. Default Re: Sunflower Farmers Market to 6401 N. May

I'm thinking more in terms of canned vegetables, sugar, flower, boxed cereal, toothpaste, razor blades, etc.
    Brown sugar was very cheap, but it was the Sunflower brand. Tasted like regular old brown sugar to me. I tend to buy things like canned tomatoes in bulk at Sam's so I always have them, so I don't really know what the price difference would be.

I never buy toothpaste or razors at the regular grocery store as they are usually more expensive.

I never buy toothpaste or razors at the regular grocery store as they are usually more expensive.
    My point, exactly. I applaud Sunflower and what they offer but as a full service shopping destination, they won't work.

14. Default Re: Sunflower Farmers Market to 6401 N. May

My point, exactly. I applaud Sunflower and what they offer but as a full service shopping destination, they won't work.
    I agree ljbab728. But, they sure are good at what they do. I've loved having Sunflower close by.

15. Default Re: Sunflower Farmers Market to 6401 N. May

Where do you normally buy these things, then? We bought shampoo and soap at Homeland yesterday; the price was about normal for those two items. Razors, however, I get at Sam's so I don't have to buy them often. They may not cost any less, but at least I have a bunch lol.

There are, imo, very few "full service shopping" destinations. . .there is usually something that I need that I can get somewhere else for less. . .lower prices on some things are offset by higher prices on others. Most places don't offer everything I want. Even before Sunflower /WF, I usually hit the grocery store at least twice during the week to get the best price and product. . .but it sure is great to have Sunflower/WF with their offerings. . .and be able to pickup a needed item (albiet at a higher price) if it's more convenient.

We aren't buying many of the HBA/Drug dept goods, but for all staples, canned good, etc yes we buy it all there. Now on a 1 to 1 item basis, most is not cheaper in unit prices but some of them are quite cheaper because as a smaller family (it's just me and my wife) we are able to buy 3 oz of something, instead of a 12 oz jar (that would go bad eventually anyway). I even got them to open a package of 2 lbs of ground pork and make me a package with only 1/2 pound in it because it was all we needed. Some things, like cereal, canned tomatos, sliced wheat bread, etc are about the same as Crest, others are a little more expensive. But on the whole our weekly grocery budget is the same and we're generally buying more natural food items and WAY processed foods (things I like but I'm glad to be without)

18. Default Re: Sunflower Farmers Market to 6401 N. May

We found whole wheat seeded hamburger buns on Sunday. Maybe they were just out by the time you got there?
    Follow up: Just got back from a Monday 3 pm shopping trip ... not crowded ... both the whole wheat seeded hamburger buns and the Mission medium chunky salsa were on the shelf. All is good.

Where do you normally buy these things, then? We bought shampoo and soap at Homeland yesterday; the price was about normal for those two items. Razors, however, I get at Sam's so I don't have to buy them often. They may not cost any less, but at least I have a bunch lol.
    I don't have a normal routine for that. When I'm getting low on some of those type of things, I usually start comparing prices at various places before I need to purchase them and also scan all of the local ads for specials. I also factor in Homeland's policy of doubling coupons up to $1.00 when comparing prices. I won't drive a long distance to save a few cents but, as an example, I bought a small weekly bill of groceries at Homeland this week. I noticed in a CVS ad that they had milk on sale for $2.99 per gallon. The CVS was across the street from Homeland so I made a quick stop there as well and saved about $2.00. As I said, I like Sunflower and what they offer. They are only about two miles from me and if they have something that I want that's a good value, I'm very happy to buy it there.

Is there an ETA on when this is opening?

All the articles have said "early 2012" so they must be getting close.

Anybody been by that site lately?

I drove by a couple of days ago. The entire front of the store (what used to be the doors/windows) is boarded up with plywood so you can't tell what's happening inside. Also, the entire parking lot is full of trailers (like the 18 wheeler kind).

23. Default Re: Sunflower Market Edmond

As of yesterday there was work being done on the exterior.

Their website now says opening March 28th.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    I wonder if the Edmond location is going to have the same parking headaches as the OKC store along with union protesters?
    What was the union protesting about?

Thread Information