Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Edmond Trails

Default Re: Edmond Trails

Any update on the trail underpass at I-35 and Integris trailhead? I've been on it last month and it seems like the west side of the underpass is just vegetation.
    And who is handling trailhead signage? City of Edmond? Parks and Rec? The Integris trailhead desperately needs signage.

I noticed some heavy equipment on the west side of the I-35 service road just north of BWW over the weekend. It seems like they're smoothing things out to finally connect the trail up to Fox Lake Lane.

October Edmond city manager report claims they are just waiting on some elevation issues and then can resume work on this I35 underpass. They anticipate it is all done with the Fox lane section by Spring 2020.

Any updates on the trails surrounding Arcadia Lake? Driving down 2nd street I can see from the road that what looks like new sections of trails on the north side of the lake have been completed but I don't know if they're open to bikes yet or not. And the city of Edmond website is no help at all. The info there is dated and appears to be from 2017. I've looked online but haven't found any new or up-to-date info on the trails.

TIA

Hey Traxx, FYI, they have a project tracker that is updated once a month. Upon grabbing this link I discovered something I haven’t seen yet which is an interactive map so that must be new. Anyways here is the link:

http://edmondok.com/DocumentCenter/V...ay-2020?bidId=

To answer your question I do believe that will be tied into future extensions of the trail. Not sure what the status of the other segments are but the one being built near 2nd is an OkDOT project, oddly enough. I think Edmond is focusing on a new trail from Fox Lake following Spring Creek to Coltrane.

6. Default Re: Edmond Trails

You can also watch the City Manager's monthly report on YouTube. This month's report showed some drone video of the new trail section along 2nd street.

https://youtu.be/gMZw9-0ZHys

Interestingly, the trail is an ODOT project, but was mostly funded by the City.

I haven't been able to find out anything about the last two miles of the Spring Creek Trail from I-35 to Hafer. I wonder if it will ever get built, especially through Fox Lake. With the trail behind WalMart now connected and the sidewalk improvements going on down 15th, I wonder if that will be the route instead. If so, that's too bad.

Good information. Thanks.

It would be great if they would put in more complete sidewalks/paths in the area. As it is now, it's kind of hit and miss and disjointed. If you live in Fox Lake, that's great for you. You can get to the trails very easily. But if you're coming from one of the surrounding neighborhoods, there's no safe way to get to the trails. I know there are signs saying share the road but when you're riding your bike down 2nd street, it doesn't feel safe at all.

They need to redo second street. It needs to be widened to six lanes and protected bike lanes where possible.

Blog Entries

This weekend, rode from downtown OKC up to Walmart on 15th, rode the trail behind it and then Spring Creek. VERY nice trail, highly recommend. Looking forward to if they ever get a lake loop done or if they connect it to central Edmond.

arcadia.jpg

Update on the city trail network:

SPOTLIGHT: City’s trail system on a long journey of connecting Edmond
    Nationwide, the use of alternative forms of transportation, such as bicycling, is gaining momentum for a variety of reasons. It serves as a health-conscious choice for individuals, fosters community bonding through recreational activities, and contributes to improved air quality. This shift towards a more bicycle-friendly infrastructure is a testament to the growing recognition of cycling’s numerous benefits.

The City of Edmond has a rich history of promoting bicycling, leading to a comprehensive planning approach for new bicycle infrastructure. Factors like travel patterns, collision data, equitable alternatives, costs and environmental impacts are all considered when working toward projects to maintain, enhance and expand the trails systems around Edmond.

“Edmond residents continue to recognize the importance of having easy access to active mobility modes,” said Ken Bryan, long-range planner for the City of Edmond. “In 2022, people said the pedestrian network and the bicycle network were their highest priorities for improvement and challenged the City to embed these priorities into the community’s mobility planning efforts and projects.”

Edmond TrailsEdmond’s journey toward a comprehensive trail plan began in 1980 with the construction of the first 1½-mile trail at Hafer Park. This was followed by the addition of 2½-miles at Mitch Park in 1994. As Edmond continued to grow and develop, the demand for a well-planned community trail network increased among its residents.

The 1999 Edmond Trails and Sidewalk Master Plan laid out a comprehensive network of trails and bicycle/pedestrian corridors for the city. In 2002, the Trails Plan Map was incorporated into Edmond Plan III, the City’s comprehensive land use plan. The genesis of this plan can be traced back to “Tomorrow’s Edmond: A Community Dialog,” a document that was the outcome of strategic planning sessions held in 1995 and 1996.

“Tomorrow’s Edmond” outlined several goals, one of which was fostering a “Connected Citizenry.” The most favored method for achieving this was through the establishment of a community-wide network of pedestrian and bicycling paths. Also important was traffic design and planning. Other key objectives included identifying development opportunities and creating neighborhood parks.

The 1999 Edmond Trails and Sidewalk Master Plan aimed to enhance community access to outdoor resources by establishing a network of off-road multi-purpose trails. It addressed the trail needs related to recreation, transportation and economic pursuits and identified 37 corridors throughout Edmond that would be developed over 15 years, which gave birth to a network of City trails that traverse geographically diverse hotspots in Edmond.

The Fink Park trail stretches for 1¼ miles, connecting Fink Park south of UCO with Hafer Park on Bryant Ave. The Mitch Park/Coffee Creek Trails offer a more extensive journey encompassing 6½ miles. The Fox Lake Trail provides a shorter 1-mile route at 15th Street and I-35 and connects with the Spring Creek Trail, which traverses underneath I-35, leading to Arcadia Lake. The Spring Creek Trail measures 3 miles and will soon connect to another existing scenic 3-mile route along Route 66.

Then, in 2013 a significant development was Edmond’s first bicycle lanes installed along both sides of University Drive, totaling 2 miles between 2nd Street and Chowing Avenue.

Altogether, the number of bicycle and pedestrian facilities implemented, aside from residential sidewalks and mountain biking, totals approximately 33⅓ miles. The number of shared lane markings total 14 miles, and neighborhood trails total approximately 3 miles. The current focus is on paved trails, protected bike lanes and wayfinding for urban commuters.

The City’s vision for a comprehensive trails system has truly transformed the city’s landscape, making it more accessible and enjoyable for everyone.

In 2012 the Edmond Bicycle Master Plan was published, aimed at helping the Master Plan Goal: Increase the number of people bicycling while minimizing the number of crashes involving bicycles by providing safe, comfortable and efficient bicycling conditions, and increasing public awareness and acceptance of bicycles on Edmond streets.

Spring Creek TrailFast-forward to October 2022 when City Council adopted the EdmondShift Mobility Plan where bicycle infrastructure planning was fully integrated into the City’s transportation planning efforts. EdmondShift is a comprehensive strategic plan that updates and modernizes the City’s mobility network plans, policies and investment decisions. Bicycle infrastructure is now receiving the same consideration as vehicular infrastructure.

More recent developments for bicycle infrastructure are equally promising. This year, the City was awarded $3 million from ODOT for trail improvements around Lake Arcadia, which will connect many parks in the area, and was awarded $320,000 through ACOG to connect Vista Lane to Hafer Park. This trail will provide easier access for residents on the north side of the park.

Moreover, the recently completed Ayers Bike Lanes on the east and west sides of the UCO campus will be extended to the east end of KickingBird Road, thanks to a grant from the Association of Central Oklahoma Governments (ACOG). The City is also almost ready to start working on Phase 1 of the Creek Bend Trail which will connect trails on the east side of I-35 to Coltrane Road. That trail will be 1¼ miles in length.

Among other grant-funded projects are:

SH66 Trail from Post to Westminster: $1 million in grant funds with a $837,000 match from the City for the 1-mile project.
    Route 66 Trail Connector-Midwest Boulevard to Spring Creek: $1 million in grant funds with a $2.3 million match from the City for a 1⅘ miles project.

Spring Creek Trail to Carl Reherman Park: $1 million in grant funds with a $1.8 million match from the City for the 2-mile project.
    Bicycle Wayfinding Signage: $105,009 in grant funds with a $45,004 match from the City.
    The future of bicycle planning in Edmond remains promising. The inception of a Mobility Commission, the unwavering dedication of an active Bicycle Committee, and the continued commitment from City staff are all converging to ensure transportation alternatives are not just an afterthought, but a priority. This includes meticulous planning and implementation of a comprehensive bicycle network, as well as seizing strategic opportunities that may involve the development community.

But the heart of these initiatives is the community itself. The participation and involvement of Edmond’s citizens are the driving force behind these efforts, reflecting the vision for “Tomorrow’s Edmond.” This vision is not just about creating a city that moves, but a city that moves together, towards a future where every journey is an experience, and every destination is just the beginning of another adventure.

“Our trails system creates a healthy gateway for people to traverse the city and connect with nature up close, as well as with each other,” said Darrell A. Davis, Mayor of Edmond and an avid cyclist. “But, beyond the obvious health benefits, our growing trails system is an attraction for the people visiting Edmond and beyond. It promotes connectivity both in our community and with Oklahoma City and communities around the region. It’s a worthwhile investment that was needed both for today and for the benefits it will provide in the future.”

- https://www.edmondok.gov/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=1078

One of the big things that has been overlooked is to have decent sidewalks from 2nd to past 33rd st and all along 2nd/Edmond rd that folks can walk/bike. Also 15 ths and 33rd st from Sooner to say Sante Fe. This would make a huge difference too.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    One of the big things that has been overlooked is to have decent sidewalks from 2nd to past 33rd st and all along 2nd/Edmond rd that folks can walk/bike. Also 15 ths and 33rd st from Sooner to say Sante Fe. This would make a huge difference too.
    Your concerns about second street sidewalks are being addressed. There is a big project to completely make the stretch from I-35 to downtown ADA compliant and make the system complete by filling in gaps. Should start this year, IIRC.

This is a lot of very good improvements for one year. It's very exciting. It shows the importance of the Edmond Shift Mobility plan getting approved in 2022.

So the best I can tell, they have funding for trail extensions around Arcadia and from Fox Lake to Coltrane Rd. So the only portion missing, that would connect Arcadia Lake to Fink Park and beyond, is Coltrane Rd. to Hafer Park? I would assume this would be a priority in the near future with it being the last stretch to connect everything. It should be a great asset once thats done.

15. Default Re: Edmond Trails

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    So the best I can tell, they have funding for trail extensions around Arcadia and from Fox Lake to Coltrane Rd. So the only portion missing, that would connect Arcadia Lake to Fink Park and beyond, is Coltrane Rd. to Hafer Park? I would assume this would be a priority in the near future with it being the last stretch to connect everything. It should be a great asset once thats done.
    There is access through the Chimney Hill Neighborhood to Hafer, so even without the trail, you should be able to get there without biking/walking/running on a major street. Not the best solution, and the Spring Creek trail being complete is needed, but it is doable.

I was looking at the trails website the other day. It appears it hasn't been updated since about 2018. Really annoying they will spend millions on new trails, but won't spend $500 putting the information on the website.

Thread Information