Widgets Magazine
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 121314151617

Thread: Urban Johnnie

Default Re: Urban Johnnie

These are facts straight from the horse's mouth:

A few years ago BWW was actively preparing to open in Bricktown. They had selected a location, drawn plans and were deep into negotiations to finalize the lease and gain corportate approval.

The reason they decided against it had nothing to do with local franchisees and their territories. It was because at that time 1) BWW corporate did not endorse Bricktown as a whole, not just a particular location in it; and 2) the local restaurant industry in general took a dive while all this was being considered.

It is my understanding BWW may revisit Bricktown and other areas in the urban core and that with all the build-up and changes coming (like the new convention center and way more hotels and living units) that corporate would be much more likely to get behind such a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    I had a high school friend from urban NJ describe May and ~NW 44th as "rural" when she visited, so clearly there's a range of viewpoints on the matter.
    HAHAHA!!!

That's great, and definitely when you're coming from massively dense cities, OKC just feel so empty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Would WINGSTOP be an acceptable alternative?
    Jersey Boss,
    I love Wingstop's wings but not their restaurants(?). I don't think their concept would fit in in Bricktown. Now, if they changed their concept and made it a nice bar with great wings? I would rent a spot at their bar and probably die eating the atomic and cajun wings. I think they would also have to expand their menu, maybe some Memphis chicken would fit in well. I haven't had the Memphis chicken yet, but I wonder if the hottest compares to the Wingstop atomic.
    C. T.

The reason I suggested WS was it is a national and international chain that visitors to BT would recognize. Torchys is a regional name that many visitors would not recognize. I don't know if there are franchise owner conflicts or corporate interest however. I feel if you want to appeal to a greater segment of visitors, WS is much more recognizable. Plus the wings are superior to BWW imho.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    The reason I suggested WS was it is a national and international chain that visitors to BT would recognize. Torchys is a regional name that many visitors would not recognize. I don't know if there are franchise owner conflicts or corporate interest however. I feel if you want to appeal to a greater segment of visitors, WS is much more recognizable. Plus the wings are superior to BWW imho.
    Jersey Boss,
    BWW is not even close in my opinion. Their "Blazin" is definitely hot but I prefer a dry wing, not a sloppy wing. But, I have eaten at both places. I go to BWW for a beer or two with wings and order wings from Wingstop to take home.
    C. T.

6. Default Re: Urban Johnnie

According to this FB page (https://www.facebook.com/Bar-Cicchetti-413509782734436/), Bar Cicchetti is moving into the Urban Johnnie space.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldFire View Post
    According to this FB page (https://www.facebook.com/Bar-Cicchetti-413509782734436/), Bar Cicchetti is moving into the Urban Johnnie space.
    Yes, it's the same group (principally Jonathon Stranger) that is behind Osteria.

Will be more casual and still have somewhat of a sportsbar theme.

They are still finalizing the interior plan but recently submitted for design review a pergola structure for the patio area.

From the 1/30/19 Gazette:

Viviani described Bar Cicchetti “as if a sports bar and Italian restaurant had a baby.”

Stranger said they will eschew lots of smaller televisions for one large movie theater-style screen that will come down for big games. “Cicchetti” typically means small plates and dishes, especially in the Venice region.

The menu at Bar Cicchetti is still a long way from being finalized, but Stranger envisions plenty of Mediterranean influence with family-style plates and large appetizers. They are eyeing an opening in the third quarter of 2019.

https://www.okgazette.com/oklahoma/i...nt?oid=5568940

9. Default Re: Urban Johnnie

This sounds like a great idea and great potential. I've been impressed with how many new and good restaurant's I've been to in the last couple of years. I wish them luck!

Here's some spectacular reporting by the Joklahoman, this was in Lackmeyer's chat (he's Web User, for some reason):

"Lenny said:
    Hi Steve, I noticed that some demo work is happening at the old Urban Johnnies. That's exciting. Any idea when something will go in?

Web User replied:
    Chef Jonathan Stranger is opening a new concept."

Someone else chimed in later with this:

"Urban Johnnies space will become Bar Cicchetti. An Italian restaurant/sports bar hybrid."

Apparently Lackmeyer should read the Gazette....

Blog Entries

Thread Information