Widgets Magazine

Thread: What's going on?

1. Default What's going on?

If feels like the city has something up their sleeves. The building Hibdon Tires is in on Air Depot was closed due to a building inspection where it was found to be structurally unsound. Yesterday, the inspectors came to our building and gave us a whole list of upgrades that were not required last year, little nit picking stuff.

Anyone know of anything?

Default Re: What's going on?

they've been adding extra diagonal bracing to the hibdon store for years
    you can't walk straight through the east side of the building without dodging brace beams

4. Default Re: What's going on?

That's weird, because this thing is just your regular metal frame building with a facade slapped on it. How, in this short of a time, can it be so bad off? Was it just not properly built in the first place? I always thought it was a terrible building for that size lot. The city should never have allowed a structure that large, to be built on that small of a lot. Applebees should charge them for all the lot overflow they take.

I read in the Oklahoman this last week that Mark Hibdon bought the old Midas/Big O/Tire Factory store. I know the Hibdon Family sold off the chain years ago. I wonder if family might be buying back in and they moving there?

6. Default Re: What's going on?

Well hopefully, when they come back to this lot, they'll do what they should have done years ago and buy up the old ColorTile building next door and make a building that isn't stupid, akward, and so much of a pain to get in and out of that I refuse to go to it.

7. Default Re: What's going on?

@bombermwc

Applebee's employees (servers and managers) receive a heavily discounted rate for tires and auto repairs from Hibdons (and a ton of freebies) because they use the north end parking lot of Applebees.

Several attempts to purchase the building just north of Hibdons to expand the building into a properly functioning facility has resulted in said owner jacking up the price of said property and does not want to negotiate.

Sources: Several friends and business acquaintances work there and/or deal in the Hibdon's real estate.

8. Default Re: What's going on?

That's good on the Applebee's side then. Unfortunate for the crappy doctor's office <-obviously trying to squeeze out more than that pile of crap is worth.

Maybe they just need to abandon this site then, or build it elsewhere in MWC. The one on I-40 feels SO much less crowded and crazy. There's plenty land over on Douglas.

9. Default Re: What's going on?

A little birdie mentioned something about the old Long John Silvers building that has seen several tenants but no actual business, may be purchased for the new Hibdons.

10. Default Re: What's going on?

Well but that's the same thing. Unless you buy up Cocino De Mino, you're not really doing any better in terms of lot space. Again it will be a long building with inadequate parking. It's as though they would have picked up the lot and moved it a few hundred feet down the road.

If they do move, they should be forced to raze the old building though.

Thread Information