Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where do I go in case of a tornado?

Default Re: Where do I go in case of a tornado?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    I've never understood the concept of getting in a car, generally near the height of a storm, and proceeding out into traffic with numerous other folks who have also gotten into a car near the height of a storm, and in a touch of anxiety and even panic, to travel to some large, aged, wide span structure, that may, or may not, be further out from the most damaging path of a storm.
    One can get an idea of the horror that suddenly erupts when you get in a car to race a tornado to shelter and the tornado wins here in story at bottom half of page: Stillwater's Friday the 13th Tornado

Quote Originally Posted by SSEiYah View Post
    Crown Heights does not have tornados..My house was built in 1919 and is still standing

I'm in the same boat though. My house has large windows in every room including the bathroom, so really there is no place to go.
    I thought that all of the houses in Crown Heights at least had crawlspaces . . .
    The ones that are full of Black Widows, Brown Recluses, Scorpions and Centipedes . . . Sometimes feral snakes. =)

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I'll also add that it's a pretty serious sign that a tornado may be coming, if the electricity goes out at your house during a tornado warning. It could be your last warning to take cover.
    Very good point... can't believe I left that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    I'll also add that it's a pretty serious sign that a tornado may be coming, if the electricity goes out at your house during a tornado warning. It could be your last warning to take cover.

With a lot of underground utilities in newer areas I would add that if the lights are repeatedly flickering it could be a sign of something bad.
    The cause of this can occur many miles away.

I have seen this more than a few times in my life and I’m surprised that the weather folks don’t give this tip out as something that very busy or distracted people could be on the look out for.

One of the astonishing things to me during the May 3 tornado was watching the live image of it on TV tearing through power lines and my lights browning in concert with each of the flashing shorts. I live miles from where it was but I guess it would have been on us pretty quick after that had we been in the path.

Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    One of the astonishing things to me during the May 3 tornado was watching the live image of it on TV tearing through power lines and my lights browning in concert with each of the flashing shorts. I live miles from where it was but I guess it would have been on us pretty quick after that had we been in the path.
    I experienced the same thing.
    At the time I lived in east Norman. We lost COX cable but I quickly hooked up the rabbit ears.
    I guess I need to go buy digital rabbit ears.

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    I guess I need to go buy digital rabbit ears.
    Only if you have a digital rabbit. For the TV, my old original rabbit ears work just fine with all the digital signals. I'm on DirecTV, so when T-storms knock out the satellite signal, I switch to the rabbit ears and keep watching...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kyle View Post
    Only if you have a digital rabbit. For the TV, my old original rabbit ears work just fine with all the digital signals. I'm on DirecTV, so when T-storms knock out the satellite signal, I switch to the rabbit ears and keep watching...
    Thanks, I was under the impression that the old ones no longer worked.
    Unfortunately I believe I threw out my old ones.

I once helped design/build a big garage in the back yard of a Del City Dweller that involved the jackhammering and filling-in of one of those old, reinforced, concrete storm cellars that were once considered to be an asset so we could extend his driveway from its existing terminus to the new garage/storage building. They don't build 'em like they used to. =) Plus, at the time there probably would have been a lot of slimy water in the bottom that would have rendered it uncomfortable even in the face of a tornado.

The next door neighbors didn't complain too much on account of we gave them a new concrete walkway on account of the concrete truck was there anyways. And it was Del City. (all permits pulled/approved/verified/etc.).

I've seen two tornadoes. I have been in three tornadoes. The fourth one involved my SweetHeart and I huddling in an interior closet praying fervently. It missed us. But not by much: Really tore up the area to the NNE, especially that nice homestead over by the water treatment plant out around Hefner and Sooner.

Word on the TV set said that the injuries suffered out there involved impalement.
    It sounded serious. Of course, that was maybe four or five years ago.

RM,
    I live about a mile from Hefner and Sooner, what nice homestead are you referring to? Is it the one West and slightly North of the sewage treatment facility? That would be Esperanza Farms and yes, there is a rather large home right there.
    C. T.
    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    I've seen two tornadoes. I have been in three tornadoes. The fourth one involved my SweetHeart and I huddling in an interior closet praying fervently. It missed us. But not by much: Really tore up the area to the NNE, especially that nice homestead over by the water treatment plant out around Hefner and Sooner.

Word on the TV set said that the injuries suffered out there involved impalement.
    It sounded serious. Of course, that was maybe four or five years ago.

Thread Information