Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 74 Highway Northbound

Default 74 Highway Northbound

Ok, this isn't a typical traffic rant. Rather, it is a legitimate concern I have over the traffic patterns as of late.

Prior to this week, My drive home would take anywhere from 25-30 minutes. I get on 74 north off of NW 10th shortly after 5. The drive north was smooth, typically uninterrupted, and generally pretty quick. This week, however, is completely different. It has been backed up horribly. Its like we added 5000 drivers over last weekend. My drive has been consistently taking 40-45 minutes, and there aren't any wrecks either. That is the totally bizarre part. All 3 lanes are completely clogged, and I don't usually get to go faster than 35 mph until way out north. Does anybody have any thoughts as to what is going on? Are we experiencing heavy traffic load because they started work on the I-235 junction?? (I really hope not because that is supposed to take a decade to finish. I'll sell my house tomorrow if that is the case.) Could it be because it is the week after the holiday? Just wondering if anybody else on here is experiencing this. Thanks!

Default Re: 74 Highway Northbound

Quote Originally Posted by C_M_25 View Post
    Ok, this isn't a typical traffic rant. Rather, it is a legitimate concern I have over the traffic patterns as of late.

Prior to this week, My drive home would take anywhere from 25-30 minutes. I get on 74 north off of NW 10th shortly after 5. The drive north was smooth, typically uninterrupted, and generally pretty quick. This week, however, is completely different. It has been backed up horribly. Its like we added 5000 drivers over last weekend. My drive has been consistently taking 40-45 minutes, and there aren't any wrecks either. That is the totally bizarre part. All 3 lanes are completely clogged, and I don't usually get to go faster than 35 mph until way out north. Does anybody have any thoughts as to what is going on? Are we experiencing heavy traffic load because they started work on the I-235 junction?? (I really hope not because that is supposed to take a decade to finish. I'll sell my house tomorrow if that is the case.) Could it be because it is the week after the holiday? Just wondering if anybody else on here is experiencing this. Thanks!
    It was because of the rain. Traffic is always bad when it is rainy or looks like it might rain or even really cloudy. Tomorrow (Friday) will be better as it will be sunny and warm.

Traffic is getting worse and worse on all the freeways. There are so many bottlenecks on OKCs freeway system I can't even count them all. The whole freeway system was designed bad and had no vision of future growth so expect delays all around the city for the rest of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCRT View Post
    Traffic is getting worse and worse on all the freeways. There are so many bottlenecks on OKCs freeway system I can't even count them all. The whole freeway system was designed bad and had no vision of future growth so expect delays all around the city for the rest of your life.
    Oh please, drama queen. Please go spend some time outside Oklahoma...our traffic is nothing. Of course, I've never been the one to expect to go 70 on the highway during the height of rush hour, either. I also live 3 minutes away from my job.

To the OP, yep probably just the rain. This is the heaviest multi day rain event we've had in months and it only takes a a handful of cars to tap the brakes to trigger a large chain reaction during bad weather.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Oh please, drama queen. Please go spend some time outside Oklahoma...our traffic is nothing. Of course, I've never been the one to expect to go 70 on the highway during the height of rush hour, either. I also live 3 minutes away from my job.

To the OP, yep probably just the rain. This is the heaviest multi day rain event we've had in months and it only takes a a handful of cars to tap the brakes to trigger a large chain reaction during bad weather.

You guys think it was the rain even today, though? It was sunny as can be on the way home. Maybe people are just in the habit of leaving work early to compensate for the rain? Hmm, we'll see. Either way, I'm just hoping it isn't increased traffic because of construction on I-235.

6. Default Re: 74 Highway Northbound

While OKC has some definite bottle necks and some horribly planned intersections, traffic overall is nothing compared to metro areas like DFW, Atlanta, or DC. It may be frustrating, but keep in mind people in those cities are forced to setup modified work schedules just to avoid hours of traffic, especially if they live as far out as you.

I-235 construction has not started. FYI

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I-235 construction has not started. FYI
    Cool, thanks! I wasn't sure when that is supposed to start.

I can make it from North Edmond to OCCC in 20-30 mins and from N Edmond to OU in 40-50 mins DURING rush hour. If I was in Houston, those numbers would be around an hour and 30 mins to OCCC and possibly 2 hours to Norman during rush hour.

BTW, I really think it is about time to widen I-35 to four lanes though. Every single day it is backed up and bumper to bumper traffic. Either they need to build a light-rail or widen the highway pretty soon. It is starting to become bad. I assume once our crappy interchanges are redone and completed(in about 20 years ), traffic should flow smoother.

BTW, anyone who thinks we have bad traffic, I highly encourage you to visit Houston, Atlanta, L.A. and Las Vegas(from where I've been). Dallas is also really bad, but drive in Houston and Dallas won't look as bad. Our traffic is really starting to get worse though. I've noticed lately in Edmond that it is really skyrocketing and the other week, around rush hour Broadway had bumper to bumper traffic ALMOST all the way from 33rd to 15th. Never seen that before. I have no experience on Norman traffic, but that will change when I switch to OU this fall.

It is difficult in Atlanta almost all of the time -- except at 1:30 in the morning--. I was going to Lenox Square Mall from Downtown Atlanta at 4:30 P.M. & I didn't get there until almost 5:45 P.M. & it's only about a 15 minute trip normally. I'll take OKC's traffic over ATL's traffic everyday, but that doesn't mean Oklahoma City's isn't annoying or non-existent.

(like) on all the comments of how awesome OKC traffic is compared to most major cities!

People here should be thankful that there are major arterial highways every 4-5 miles in every direction. Most cities don't have that!

To the OP, sell your house now cause 74 northbound is going to turn into a nightmare when they start widening it from Covell on south to Memorial, lol...

13. Default Re: 74 Highway Northbound

I grew up in a city that only had 3 major highways and the majority of traffic took surface streets to get around. The OKC highway system is a dream compared to most cities.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    (like) on all the comments of how awesome OKC traffic is compared to most major cities!

People here should be thankful that there are major arterial highways every 4-5 miles in every direction. Most cities don't have that!

To the OP, sell your house now cause 74 northbound is going to turn into a nightmare when they start widening it from Covell on south to Memorial, lol...
    That and how easy it is to get on the highways and get off easily where you expect to be. Service roads are a great thing, imo.

15. Default Re: 74 Highway Northbound

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    That and how easy it is to get on the highways and get off easily where you expect to be. Service roads are a great thing, imo.
    Well for the most part. LOL I still think this state needs to learn how to properly construct merge lanes and the length for traffic to get up to speed.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Well for the most part. LOL I still think this state needs to learn how to properly construct merge lanes and the length for traffic to get up to speed.
    This!!!! That actually is probably one the most important thing ODOT needs to work on, along with it's interchanges. I wonder if any of the merging lanes are going to be changed on the new Kilpatrick?

Quote Originally Posted by soonerliberal View Post
    While OKC has some definite bottle necks and some horribly planned intersections, traffic overall is nothing compared to metro areas like DFW, Atlanta, or DC. It may be frustrating, but keep in mind people in those cities are forced to setup modified work schedules just to avoid hours of traffic, especially if they live as far out as you.
    I completely agree with this, but the traffic to Norman during afternoon rush hour is terrible. Especially when you compare it to other commutes within the metro area during that same time. I'm amazed at the people that have to take that commute every day, particularly since it's in Oklahoma. Everyone should drive the commute to Norman and then forever appreciate that they don't have to do that every day. Sure, many people have to deal with the backed up traffic at 235/44 but at least you're only temporarily stopped at that mess the state should have fixed 10 years ago.

And to the person that said we should widen I-35 to 4 lanes... I feel like more of the issue is the fact that you're shoving all of I-35 south onto a one lane, left exit, that then has semis clogging the left lane for miles on end. And the other issue with all the people that assume since they are eventually getting off at the left exit in Norman at 77/Flood, that means that they can go 20 under the speed limit in the left lane for the length of I-35 from OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post

Well, I don't plan to live in that area forever. The house and yard are a little small for my taste. Either way, I imagine it would be years before they do something like you suggests. I wouldn't think that they would take on this job until 74 is widened to 4 lanes all the way out to Covell which will take many years. Not to mention that people in South OKC/Moore/Norman would riot if they keep extending infrastructure in NW okc without helping them out a little bit too.

Either way, I would like to move out to the arcadia area someday. How's the traffic in that direction?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I can make it from North Edmond to OCCC in 20-30 mins and from N Edmond to OU in 40-50 mins DURING rush hour. If I was in Houston, those numbers would be around an hour and 30 mins to OCCC and possibly 2 hours to Norman during rush hour.

BTW, I really think it is about time to widen I-35 to four lanes though. Every single day it is backed up and bumper to bumper traffic. Either they need to build a light-rail or widen the highway pretty soon. It is starting to become bad. I assume once our crappy interchanges are redone and completed(in about 20 years ), traffic should flow smoother.
    20-30 during rush hour??? Used to make that commute (similar) fairly often, 30 min was the baseline during non-peak and 50+ minutes during rush hour. Maybe my car is slower...

20. Default Re: 74 Highway Northbound

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    20-30 during rush hour??? Used to make that commute (similar) fairly often, 30 min was the baseline during non-peak and 50+ minutes during rush hour. Maybe my car is slower...
    Panda can afford the speeding tickets obvisously.

The wideing of 74 north from Memorial to 164th should start within the next year from what I am told. 164th north to Covell will begin after that. Total completion should be 4-5yrs. They are widening all roads from 2 lanes to 4 around that area to accommodate the heavy traffic that will be diverted off 74.

Quote Originally Posted by blink View Post
    I completely agree with this, but the traffic to Norman during afternoon rush hour is terrible. Especially when you compare it to other commutes within the metro area during that same time. I'm amazed at the people that have to take that commute every day, particularly since it's in Oklahoma. Everyone should drive the commute to Norman and then forever appreciate that they don't have to do that every day. Sure, many people have to deal with the backed up traffic at 235/44 but at least you're only temporarily stopped at that mess the state should have fixed 10 years ago.

And to the person that said we should widen I-35 to 4 lanes... I feel like more of the issue is the fact that you're shoving all of I-35 south onto a one lane, left exit, that then has semis clogging the left lane for miles on end. And the other issue with all the people that assume since they are eventually getting off at the left exit in Norman at 77/Flood, that means that they can go 20 under the speed limit in the left lane for the length of I-35 from OKC.
    Huh? I didn't quite understand what you meant. . .

You have a ton of capacity feeding to Norman, but when you get there, not enough capacity to spread the traffic out in Norman. == Bottleneck

I've made it home from OCCC within 30-35 mins before. Didn't drive like a nut or racing through. I've noticed that Oklahoma traffic is really strange to me, some days it will be backed up(no rain, no wrecks) and others, you can cruise through the highways like a sunday drive.

You have a ton of capacity feeding to Norman, but when you get there, not enough capacity to spread the traffic out in Norman. == Bottleneck
    Oh, well, that is where Norman takes over, I guess. I just believe as far as widening highways is concerned, that stretch of I-35 is nearing it's time. If they would get serious about a light-rail, I would say just fix all the interchanges and freeze highway spending until a light-rail is completely funded. I wonder how much of a dent that would even put in our traffic here.

Thread Information