Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 37 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: GE Global Research

Default Re: GE Global Research Center

I've heard from someone who knows that this facility will be 75,000 square feet.

Site is still to be determined between Norman and OKC (Health Sciences Center).

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I've heard from someone who knows that this facility will be 75,000 square feet.

The Heath Science Center area would be a good location.... but if it's located in Norman is there any word if its going to be located on the south end of campus or perhaps on OU's airport land in Norman?

I would think an announcement should be coming fairly soon.

But its extremely good news for OU that this will apparently be built on OU campus property.

Huh, for some reason I was kind of expecting 200,000+. Don't ask me why, but I will tell you I have no knowledge on these kinds of complexes, just that I thought it would be bigger than 75,000 sf. Can't wait for it to be built though!!! Very exciting.

75,000 sqft is a good starting point, I am sure they will expand with more buildings with future growth. If in Norman, I would say UNP, if in Oklahoma City, I would say in next to C2S park, but the HSC would be my second choice.

That's true as well, I kind of thought about that right after I posted. One thing I did not get from this, if it will all be in one building or if it will be a campus layout kind of thing.

75,000 square feet is about 3-4 floors of the largest foot print of the Devon Tower. Yep, that would go really well north of NE 4th Street, south of the new Embassy Suites, east of Lincoln, west of Kelley Avenue.

7. Default Re: GE Global Research Center

I would imagine that this would be a major anchor to get the UNP business park underway. Being right on the airport property it would also offer a unique advantage for GE corporate travel to get back and forth without having to drive up to Will Rogers or Wiley Post.

Did you get that info from someone in the AE world? I know they recently issued an RFP to design the facility which stated 75,000 SF, but no specific site was mentioned. I've heard they have short listed companies to interview, but I do not know who.

75,000 SF is the exact same size as Three Partners Place at the OU Research Campus in Norman (bottom right in the picture below). Not saying it will be located here but there is plenty of developable land around the OU buildings if access to the university is a big part of their strategy. The five Partners Place buildings are all in the 50-75,000 SF range. GE could have the whole north end of the campus for expansion, while OU has its own facilities along Jenkins, the NWC anchoring the south end and then there are the public-private buildings on the south/east side. This whole area was a former military base (and included Jimmie Austin golf course).

Is the Political Science dept still out by the golf courses?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Is the Political Science dept still out by the golf courses?
    When was this? Education was out by the golf course for one year while the education building was redone.

Blog Entries

I thought Political Science is in Dale Hall.

5 Departments had to move out of Dale Hall due to earthquake damage a few years ago which led to other problems being found.

OUDaily.com | Dale Hall Tower construction forces department relocations

OUDaily.com | Five displaced departments moving back in to Dale Hall Tower

Even though this is supposed to be an energy-related research facility, it would be awesome if it was put on the HSC campus and, down the road, the facility was able to expand and add medical/health research capabilities in collaboration with OU.

I know an RFP when out to architects and that it said the construction drawings need to be complete by end of the year, so this project is moving along.

Still not sure of the location (either near the OU Health Sciences Center or Norman) but Miles Associates has been chosen as the architects for this project.

They've done a bunch of projects for OU in Norman and OKC:

Signature projects ? MILES ASSOCIATES

Per the Chat -

10:32

Comment From Steve
    Good morning Steve, On April 3rd of this year GE stated it would build a 110 million dollar Gobal Reserch Center in the Greater OKC area is that still going to happen and if so where is it going to be built thanks.

10:33

Steve Lackmeyer:
    Absolutely it's happening. And the more I track on this, the more it looks like Oklahoma City may have a very good shot at prevailing in the competition over Norman and the University of Oklahoma for the operation.

Even if the facility does come to OKC, it's likely OU would still be heavily involved due to the Health Sciences Center where it almost certainly would be located.

I've heard from two very reliable people in the past two days that OKC is "very probably" going land the center.

The more I think about this center, the more I believe that it's 'bigger' than a college town. They need a city that can attract top talent, not that Norman can't, but OKC has become a pretty positive energy presence. Not withstanding is that GE's lift business is located in OKC also.

One of my good friends who works at the OUHSC told me two weeks ago that they are buying everything they can get their hands on in the area between NE 4 and NE 8 and Lincoln and Kelley. Obviously Toby Keith's Coral thing, OU Embassy Suites and the American Red Cross is in that area, but that leaves a lot of space (10 square blocks or so) for them to develop.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    One of my good friends who works at the OUHSC told me two weeks ago that they are buying everything they can get their hands on in the area between NE 4 and NE 8 and Lincoln and Kelley. Obviously Toby Keith's Coral thing, OU Embassy Suites and the American Red Cross is in that area, but that leaves a lot of space (10 square blocks or so) for them to develop.
    Who is "they"? OUHSC, GE, or OUHSC working with GE?

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Who is "they"? OUHSC, GE, or OUHSC working with GE?
    Sorry, should have been more specific. "They" means OUHSC but that could mean they are buying it for GE or build on it.

Sorry if I'm missing something, but what is the benefit of locating the GE center anywhere near the OUHSC?? If they want to draw from research at OU that badly then it seems like it should go in Norman. I don't see how putting it next to medical facilities is going to be any benefit to a facility dealing with oil and gas related technology. It's not like any of the students there are going to be doing research that is applicable to oil and gas.

Thread Information