Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 37 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: GE Global Research

Default Re: GE Global Research Center

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    If you want OU to be in the AAU and receive all its benefits, as I understand it, the difference between being located in OKC and on OU’s campus is everything......! That’s why I keep saying that it needs to be on OU’s campus...

UT and the other university’s in Texas receive far more state funding than do universities in Oklahoma.
    The state of Texas will be using some of their new huge oil wealth money to significantly upgrade the University of Houston and Texas Tech University with the eventually goal of the AAU for both.
    As an OU graduate, I really loathe the fact that OU does not rank as high as Kansas, Iowa and other Universities located in States of comparable size or smaller. Texas certainly has the financial resources superior to OU but that's a crutch given that these schools in small states are members and until recently Nebraska
    The University of Iowa (1909)
    Iowa State University (1958)
    University of Kansas (1909
    University of Oregon (1969)

OU should focus more on academic versus athletic prowess or at least pursue them both

OU ranks favorably with all of those institutions, and actually outranked Oregon and Iowa State in the latest US News rankings. As stated before, we won't get in to AAU because our Med School's in OKC. Big deal.

3. Default Re: GE Global Research Center

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    This article appeared in today’s Sunday Oklahoman.
    They did a fine job on this but in future articles I wish they would cover more about how we can best parlay this into other high end wage jobs and advance the states academic research standing.

General Electric is bringing its focus on energy to Oklahoma | News OK
    The article seemed to take the liberty of saying the facility will be in Oklahoma City and not any of the surrounding communities, such as Norman. I wonder if this is something they know or just decided to word it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    The article seemed to take the liberty of saying the facility will be in Oklahoma City and not any of the surrounding communities, such as Norman. I wonder if this is something they know or just decided to word it that way.

I noticed that as well.
    However, I believe it was Norman’s Don Woods who recently said GE was looking at 2 different Norman locations.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    As an OU graduate, I really loathe the fact that OU does not rank as high as Kansas, Iowa and other Universities located in States of comparable size or smaller. Texas certainly has the financial resources superior to OU but that's a crutch given that these schools in small states are members and until recently Nebraska
    The University of Iowa (1909)
    Iowa State University (1958)
    University of Kansas (1909
    University of Oregon (1969)

OU should focus more on academic versus athletic prowess or at least pursue them both
    OU’s academic rankings have generally been in an ascending mode largely due to private donations that OU people have made. But please know that pride in OU football has led to a broader love of the university among many academic donors and some very large ones. A strong OU football team is in the university’s best academic interest as it helps pay for academic programs.

OU has achieved much in spite of poor state funding levels compared to what KU and Iowa have traditionally received...
    It boils down to the priorities of leaders and what the people of Oklahoma seem to want.
    For nearly my entire adult life it has irritated me to no end to see how other states have used their universities as engines of economic growth and prosperity and yet our state leaders would seemingly rather poor money into insignificant state parks and state travel lodges and the like.

FWIW, there has been mention of the fact that once GE decides to make a move into an area(energy services) , they will move aggressively (with deep pockets) , and you can already see this with this research center and their purchase of Lufkin.

It appears they want to increase their exposure to the energy sector quickly as a domestic growth area, which is great for Oklahoma. It wouldn't be a surprise if they increased their acquisitions and made OKC metro their domestic mini energy service/research hub.

just speculation on my part, and something to watch - and they have a quarterly earnings report and conference call this Friday, it seems like they wanted this to be a part of their story going forward, a "hot" new energy segment.
    Last edited by blangtang; 04-14-2013 at 09:42 PM. Reason: gramer

Where the State of Oklahoma messed up was in having two major state universities. Imagine a single state schools with 50,000 students and all the money that could have been saved by not having duplicate programs, administration, and facilities. Oh well.

8. Default Re: GE Global Research Center

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Where the State of Oklahoma messed up was in having two major state universities. Imagine a single state schools with 50,000 students and all the money that could have been saved by not having duplicate programs, administration, and facilities. Oh well.
    Could always sell OSU to T Boone and let it be a private school...or community college.

Isn't Arkansas the only one in Arkansas banking all the state money and same with Mizzou in Missouri? They don't seem to be doing any better then either of our schools.

Quote Originally Posted by blangtang View Post
    FWIW, there has been mention of the fact that once GE decides to make a move into an area(energy services) , they will move aggressively (with deep pockets) , and you can already see this with this research center and their purchase of Lufkin.

It appears they want to increase their exposure to the energy sector quickly as a domestic growth area, which is great for Oklahoma. It wouldn't be a surprise if they increased their acquisitions and made OKC metro their domestic mini energy service/research hub.

just speculation on my part, and something to watch - and they have a quarterly earnings report and conference call this Friday, it seems like they wanted this to be a part of their story going forward, a "hot" new energy segment.
    Not to discourage your enthusiasm, but they have been increasing their O&G footprint for a decade now, Wood group (now GE-Artificial Lift and GE-Pressure Controls) and Lufkin are just the most recent acquisitions. GE Oil & Gas HQ is actually in Florence, Italy and they have product line headquarters (like the one in SE OKC for Artificial Lift) in Houston, Italy and Nevada among other places. The new research facility and the possibility of consolidation with Lufkin will greatly expand GE's presence in OKC, but I wouldn't expect OKC to become an HQ for GE Oil&Gas.

And then the state in its early days messed up even worse by building a big bunch of small state colleges. Nobody needs to be within horse and buggy distance of a college these days. Getting rid of the them or consolidating them would surely be next to impossible, due to the towns' dependence on them for economic livelihood.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    And then the state in its early days messed up even worse by building a big bunch of small state colleges. Nobody needs to be within horse and buggy distance of a college these days. Getting rid of the them or consolidating them would surely be next to impossible, due to the towns' dependence on them for economic livelihood.
    Would you rather have the University of Nebraska or OU AND OSU? I'd say that's a pretty reasonable comparison. I'd definitely take the latter. Both OU and OSU have been able to draw their own support. Maybe one university couldn't have pulled the same amount of support that two could. Maybe the competition is helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Shush yer mouth. Most times when folk start talking consolidating state colleges, we tend to end up with a new one cropping up instead.

Quote Originally Posted by lasomeday View Post
    Isn't Arkansas the only one in Arkansas banking all the state money and same with Mizzou in Missouri? They don't seem to be doing any better then either of our schools.
    arkansas st missouri st ??

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    This is a great deal for Oklahoma! But.

Wow Rover, that's deep. Like the whole world doesn't know that the University of Texas is a far superior public university to the University of Oklahoma. There's not even a comparison. If you're talking football, well yeah and I'll Boomer Sooner with you. But academics? It's like comparing Harvard to North Dakota State.
    Um... okay... lol

getting way off topic as usual

Yes, back to topic please.

This thread is about the GE Global Research Center. Thanks.

This is a very big deal, reading the most recent article on newsok.com, officials stated that they have grand plans for this facility, and it would be a showcase for oil & gas research around the world. This is a very big deal, I just hope they put this in a location that can spur more development around it, and not in a place that is already built up like the Quail Springs Office Park, or OU Research Park. If it had to be in Norman, I would say UNP. And if in Oklahoma City, I would say east of I-35 between Moore and south Oklahoma City, from about N.E. 27th in Moore to S.E. 89th in Oklahoma City, that place is ripe for a new development with plenty of land for growth. Moreover, its between Oklahoma City and Norman, therefore Norman/Oklahoma City residents/students can access, and its close to interstate.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    And if in Oklahoma City, I would say east of I-35 between Moore and south Oklahoma City, from about N.E. 27th in Moore to S.E. 89th in Oklahoma City, that place is ripe for a new development with plenty of land for growth. Moreover, its between Oklahoma City and Norman, therefore Norman/Oklahoma City residents/students can access, and its close to interstate.
    You might have something there! It is close to the GE-Artificial Lift facility as well.

I don't know, but the more I read about this, they keep on mentioning Oklahoma City more and more as the location, and not "Oklahoma" or "Greater Oklahoma City" it seems this is pointing to and Oklahoma City location.

I don't know, but the more I read about this, they keep on mentioning Oklahoma City more and more as the location, and not "Oklahoma" or "Greater Oklahoma City" it seems this is pointing to and Oklahoma City location.
    Downtown OKC has one big advantage - a $75 million fund to lure companies. I just hope if the move downtown they don't build some non-urban facility. Maybe they could buy Sandridge Tower and use all the open space to build their labs.

22. Default Re: GE Global Research Center

Which makes you question are they actually hearing this or is it just a bias being OKC-based media?

Remember what the official GE press release said General Electric media information for journalists and the press - Press-Releases - GE to Build Oil & Gas Global Research Center in Oklahoma - General Electric media information for journalists and the press

"GE is currently evaluating locations that will help the company capitalize on the renowned academic institutions, including the University of Oklahoma, as well as the skilled workforce in the Oklahoma City area."

If anything, with specific mention of the University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma City "area", I would think Norman.

This is a very big deal, reading the most recent article on newsok.com, officials stated that they have grand plans for this facility, and it would be a showcase for oil & gas research around the world. This is a very big deal, I just hope they put this in a location that can spur more development around it, and not in a place that is already built up like the Quail Springs Office Park, or OU Research Park. If it had to be in Norman, I would say UNP. And if in Oklahoma City, I would say east of I-35 between Moore and south Oklahoma City, from about N.E. 27th in Moore to S.E. 89th in Oklahoma City, that place is ripe for a new development with plenty of land for growth. Moreover, its between Oklahoma City and Norman, therefore Norman/Oklahoma City residents/students can access, and its close to interstate.
    There's still tons of room on the OU Research Campus..

Quote Originally Posted by LocoAko View Post
    There's still tons of room on the OU Research Campus..
    Yep, I talked to 2 well-placed OU sources last night.
    They said no decision has been made but they were hopeful that OU’s Research Campus would be selected as the location.

Thread Information