Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: GE Global Research

Default Re: GE Global Research Center

While 125 high-paying jobs is nothing to sneeze at, I still think people here aren't grasping what a huge "get" this is for OKC/metro. This type of O&G research is exactly the type of thing that almost every other company does *exclusively in Houston*. For GE to trust that they are going to be able to recruit some of the best and brightest STEM people in the country to the OKC Metro says that they believe in what is happening here. For us to get this lab is a far more meaningful statement on how far OKC has come than if Shell, for instance, opened a branch office here, even if the Shell office ultimately employed more people.

There are still many Oklahomans in the O&G business in the Houston area who would love to move out of that rat race and move home.
    Attracting enough top talent shouldn’t be a major problem particularly if they locate in Norman.

AMAZING news for OKC! This does wonders for our image in louring more companies here!

Default GE Global Research Center to be built in Oklahoma City

Default Re: GE Global Research Center to be built in Oklahoma City

I believe there's already a thread for this. http://www.okctalk.com/local-busines...tml#post632922

I don't think there is an official thread yet, because a location hasn't been selected. So, I'm not sure if it will get another thread in the Norman forum if they choose Norman, moved, or stay in general business thread. However, they might take it up with the former, you never know.

GE Global Research website already has Oklahoma City listed as one of it's locations.
    GE Global Research

Isn't GE Oil & Gas currently at SE 59th & Sooner? There is a big facility there. It's possible they locate on that site or nearby. But they specifically mentioned OU in the article so my bet is on Norman, either in the south campus research park or at the north end of UNP in between Rock Creek and Tecumseh.

Oklahoma City OKUSA : Locations : GE Global Research

They already have a video out to lure future employees!

9. Default Re: GE Global Research Center

very impressive, good for okc!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

This is big, but this can grow into something bigger, and this is a good start. Hopefully they don't follow the same path as Astellas in Norman, and locate way off is some secluded backwooded area. I never knew Astellas had a big research/manufacturing facility in Norman until I had to drive back there one day, crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by grandshoemaster View Post
    Some very good comments by the GE reps who were here. Unfortunately, our governor continues to exhibit her ineptness at public speaking. Hopefully she communicates better in private conversations.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Some very good comments by the GE reps who were here. Unfortunately, our governor continues to exhibit her ineptness at public speaking. Hopefully she communicates better in private conversations.
    She communicated with 3 million dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    Is this an oil and gas research facility?
    I honestly don't know, I was just being sarcastic and really talking out of my ass on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    That's what the news release says - Oil and Gas Research Center.
    Is it strictly oil and gas, or is that part of it?

14. Default Re: GE Global Research Center to be built in Oklahoma City

I'm trying to figure out how you came away with this impression after watching that video? No matter what side of the aisle you're on, this is a great get for the state and our governor certainly helped play a part in landing it.....your personal jab withstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Isn't GE Oil & Gas currently at SE 59th & Sooner? There is a big facility there. It's possible they locate on that site or nearby. But they specifically mentioned OU in the article so my bet is on Norman, either in the south campus research park or at the north end of UNP in between Rock Creek and Tecumseh.
    The site on sooner is the GE Artificial Lift Global Headquarters. All production, engineering, marketing and mgmt happens there for our ESP, surface and control lines. They are part of the GE O&G platform, under drilling and surface.

We (AL specifically) will use this GRC to create new materials and use their labs to work on solutions to some of the more difficult application that no one has been able to crack into. Its huge that this center is being built here.

Yesterday, the CEO did not mention a specific site it was going to be, but only mentioned that they may work with both universities on some projects.

Default Re: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

Default Re: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

I'd be interested to know from anyone more familiar with the industry and research centers like this, if these facilities usually spawn more industry and investment locally. My impression is that these places are mostly, if not completely, for R&D. Do these R&D efforts often lead to more local manufacturing or even division spin offs that stay close to the location, or are they usually sent off to other locations?

Since GE is so huge with many manufacturing plants of all types, my guess would be that anything coming out of the R&D locations like this one would likely be integrated into existing facilities.

However, I could also see how R&D in one area would lead to more and more in and around the same facility.

I researched some of their other research centers that they have in China, Brazil, India, etc. And these are no run of the mill research centers. These are very nice, modern, and upscale developments, and designed for growth. I know one research center stated they started out with 275 engineers/scientist, but now they have 4,300! Moreover, listening to press conference yesterday, GE stated they anticipate more growth, and stated they never started a new research center that didnt grow tremendously, they also stated they wouldn't be suprised if this development influenced a industrial/office park development. Needless to say, this is a big deal, and they anticipate major growth, and a ripple effect for more development.

Here is a rendering of new GE research center in Brazil that is slated to begin soon:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BTC-aerial-view_980x660.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	406.4 KB 
ID:	3590

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    Here is a rendering of new GE research center in Brazil that is slated to begin soon:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BTC-aerial-view_980x660.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	406.4 KB 
ID:	3590
    Core to shore?

I was thinking the same thing, puting this research center in next to Central Park would really kick off the area, but unfortunately all the C2S planning in still in its infancy and I don't see GE waiting until planning is done. I wouldn't be surprised if this project ended up in the Quail Springs Corporate Office Park, it seems that is where all new developments ends up these days, I hope I am wrong though.

Blog Entries

Yes, but the old airpark seems like a good area and controlled by a single entity. This would spur a true mixed use neighborhood where if the rest of it was developed as envisioned with living along the river, walking to work would be easy. Boating to downtown would be easy. Travel to airport quick and easy. Travel to Norman quick and easy. Views would be amazing. No trouble recruiting to that area.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Yes, but the old airpark seems like a good area and controlled by a single entity. This would spur a true mixed use neighborhood where if the rest of it was developed as envisioned with living along the river, walking to work would be easy. Boating to downtown would be easy. Travel to airport quick and easy. Travel to Norman quick and easy. Views would be amazing. No trouble recruiting to that area.
    Funny you mention this site, but I was thinking the exact same thing just now after seeing the picture above. This would be an amazing way to jumpstart the Waterfront development and would be a great coup for OKC. I don't think it's likely, but man, it would be awesome if it located there.

Thread Information