Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: GE Global Research

Default Re: GE Global Research Center

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Why not at OU's south research campus off highway 9?
    Yep. Makes a lot of sense, although I'd prefer to see it in OKC.

Yes, I would suspect either there or University North Park.

Ill really be surprised if its not in Norman.

I think this would be a great place for it. There really isn't a big name tenant in that area.

I think GE will decide on Norman to, for nothing else, be near the "brain power" of the Mewbourne School of Earth and Energy and the Sarkeys Center.

And while I would love for it to be in OKC, Norman hasn't had too many economic development wins as of late. Here's hoping Cindy Rosenthal is phoning Jack Welch.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    I think this would be a great place for it. There really isn't a big name tenant in that area.

I think GE will decide on Norman to, for nothing else, be near the "brain power" of the Mewbourne School of Earth and Energy and the Sarkeys Center.

And while I would love for it to be in OKC, Norman hasn't had too many economic development wins as of late. Here's hoping Cindy Rosenthal is phoning Jack Welch.
    Actually, Norman just received (Oct. 2012) a $2.5 million grant from the U.S. Economic Development Administration for construction of the University North Park project.

University North Park makes the most long term sense.
    There is a nice nearby hotel and airport. Traffic is not horrible.

OU graduates would develop a high familiarity with this facility leading to internships and employment possibilities.
    There are respectable Norman schools. Quality affordable housing and other PHD’s in the Norman area to hang with.
    The GE / ESP lift center doesn’t really do PHD level work.
    This is exactly the type of jobs that Norman & OU should be going after with incentives.
    It could lead to research collaboration with OU.

Oh, another thread speculating on the location of something...I think Im done with this thread for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post

Jack retired from GE over 10 years ago.

The only thing about the South OU location would be GE's stated intention to have access to OKC's labor force.

It still may be their choice, but it's pretty darn far from where the majority of people live in the metro.

Nevermind. Already posted.

I know the Norman Economic Development Coalition was pushing hard for a Advanced Manufacturing Center in UNP, which would create 400 jobs, but it has to do with the aerospace industry. It would be neat if UNP secured both the Advanced Manufacturing Center and new GE Oil & Gas Research Center, that area would really start booming, and new lifestyle center might finally break ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The only thing about the South OU location would be GE's stated intention to have access to OKC's labor force.

It still may be their choice, but it's pretty darn far from where the majority of people live in the metro.

Its one more reason why the University North Park location makes more sense IMHO.
    It is several miles closer to the core of OKC.
    This location will likely eventually have quick shuttle service to a nearby commuter rail station in north Norman.

Default Re: Mystery Tower( speculation, news and ideas) post here!

It would be interesting to see GE back in OKC seeing they had a presence here
    many years ago. In the 60's and 70's my father worked at the GE plant near
    NW 39th and Portland. They did military communications and computer equipment.
    My father developed the magnetic heads used in tape and disk drives. Pretty
    exotic for the times given that "gigabytes" and "hard drives" are likely to be topics
    of conversation at the dinner table these days!

There was quite a community of GE workers in NW OKC during that time.

One of the few times Portland, Or., is warmer than OKC. Might be in the 70's today.

Steve now tweeted that Mayor Cornett was at the announcement, FWIW.

Fair point, but it is not like Norman has a pop. of less than 100k. I believe the city of Norman has more than enough qualified applicants and enough choices in housing to those that would move here versus the short commute. The congestion heading south in the morning and north in the evening on 35 is negligible.

So the 125 high paying, high-tech jobs are just the beginning from what I can understan, correct? Seems like they expect their employment and facility to grow rather quickly here. That's a huge get for okc/metro.

Wow, I'm jealous of Norman, but it's good for them and the entire OKC metro. Great job OKC. Who says our economy is based completely on oil?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Jack retired from GE over 10 years ago.
    You are right...I should have known better LOL

Quote Originally Posted by coov23 View Post
    So the 125 high paying, high-tech jobs are just the beginning from what I can understan, correct? Seems like they expect their employment and facility to grow rather quickly here. That's a huge get for okc/metro.
    Not sure if they are planning on ramping it up even more once its up and running. With that in mind, I know the researchers at BP's research facility in Chicago make in the neighborhood of 200-250K, so this is much bigger than the employment number would indicate.

Quote Originally Posted by coov23 View Post
    So the 125 high paying, high-tech jobs are just the beginning from what I can understan,

Hopefully a successful GE venture in Norman would lead to further expansion with other company’s locating a research facility in Norman.
    If there is collaboration with OU this would be a huge step for OU’s AAU aspirations if they locate in Norman.
    AAU membership for OU and the research dollars that would follow would help the entire state.

Good news. Nice to see a company with a global reach set up shop here.

Who says our economy is based completely on oil?
    Is this an oil and gas research facility?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    Hopefully a successful GE venture in Norman would lead to further expansion with other company’s locating a research facility in Norman.
    If there is collaboration with OU this would be a huge step for OU’s AAU aspirations if they locate in Norman.
    AAU membership for OU and the research dollars that would follow would help the entire state.
    I do work with Battelle Institute in Columbus. Though they aren't part oF tOSU they have great synergy there and it keeps some great mind in Columbus. It also ties them to the other 40,000 engineers in the Battelle system and their labs. Such an association with OU would be fantastIc.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ou48A View Post
    I do work with Battelle Institute in Columbus. Though they aren't part oF tOSU they have great synergy there and it keeps some great mind in Columbus. It also ties them to the other 40,000 engineers in the Battelle system and their labs. Such an association between GE and OU would be fantastIc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I do work with Battelle Institute in Columbus. Though they aren't part oF tOSU they have great synergy there and it keeps some great mind in Columbus. It also ties them to the other 40,000 engineers in the Battelle system and their labs. Such an association between GE and OU would be fantastIc.
    This^ is exactly what I’m talking about
    You obviously know more than I do. Please explain in further detail.

This is exactly what we should be striving for. OU in the AAU benefits the entire state.

Quote Originally Posted by sgt. pepper View Post
    Is this an oil and gas research facility?
    That's what the news release says - Oil and Gas Research Center.

Thread Information