Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 37 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: GE Global Research

Default Re: GE Global Research Center

Well, you've obviously got all of the oil companies across the interstate in the CBD.

Quote Originally Posted by PWitty View Post
    Sorry if I'm missing something, but what is the benefit of locating the GE center anywhere near the OUHSC?? If they want to draw from research at OU that badly then it seems like it should go in Norman. I don't see how putting it next to medical facilities is going to be any benefit to a facility dealing with oil and gas related technology. It's not like any of the students there are going to be doing research that is applicable to oil and gas.
    GE Global Research Centers cover lots of industries, including healthcare:

Healthcare : Industries : GE Global Research

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    GE Global Research Centers cover lots of industries, including healthcare:

Healthcare : Industries : GE Global Research
    I knew that, but I thought it had been stated somewhere that this was an Oil & Gas Research Center. I could definitely see the benefits if they expanded upon that and did additional research there as well. Maybe they plan on expanding it to include other sectors in the future and that's why they're interested in the OUHSC area. That's kind of what I was getting at.

I knew that, but I thought it had been stated somewhere that this was an Oil & Gas Research Center. I could definitely see the benefits if they expanded upon that and did additional research there as well. Maybe they plan on expanding it to include other sectors in the future and that's why they're interested in the OUHSC area. That's kind of what I was getting at.
    You're right. This is what they said in the press release:

General Electric (NYSE: GE) today announced that it will build a new Global Research Center in Oklahoma dedicated to driving innovation and technological advancements in the oil and gas sector and bringing products to market faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Still not sure of the location (either near the OU Health Sciences Center or Norman) but Miles Associates has been chosen as the architects for this project.

They've done a bunch of projects for OU in Norman and OKC:

Signature projects ? MILES ASSOCIATES
    That's interesting Miles won. A contact of mine interviewed for the project and said according to the letter, Miles was not even on the short list of firms that GE interviewed. He said it was Rees, FSB, Rand, SAIC, and Butzer Gardner. He must have been mistaken.

Apparently the location is final, but GE is not ready to announce it just yet. I hope that is a sign that we will know soon.

Quote Originally Posted by LuccaBrasi View Post
    That's interesting Miles won. A contact of mine interviewed for the project and said according to the letter, Miles was not even on the short list of firms that GE interviewed. He said it was Rees, FSB, Rand, SAIC, and Butzer Gardner. He must have been mistaken.
    I'm surprised that SAIC even got to interview. They've gutted their A&E group...

Blog Entries

Sorry if I'm missing something, but what is the benefit of locating the GE center anywhere near the OUHSC?? If they want to draw from research at OU that badly then it seems like it should go in Norman. I don't see how putting it next to medical facilities is going to be any benefit to a facility dealing with oil and gas related technology. It's not like any of the students there are going to be doing research that is applicable to oil and gas.
    Because it is close to the companies downtown but still provides room to grow. I am speculating that the OU campus then starts growing more diversified and it becomes the OU Medical and Technical Research Center. OU would still be able to count research $ towards academic accredidations wouldn't it?

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Because it is close to the companies downtown but still provides room to grow. I am speculating that the OU campus then starts growing more diversified and it becomes the OU Medical and Technical Research Center. OU would still be able to count research $ towards academic accredidations wouldn't it?
    I don't think they could as it relates to AAU status (which I think requires a single campus), but perhaps other accreditation would accept this setup?

HangryHippo Guest

Any idea if something has changed with this center?

12:01
    Comment From Guest
    Steve any news on Ge oil and gas reserch center in the okc area is this a dead issue or is it going to happen they should have said by now where they are going to build the story broke in April
    12:01

Steve Lackmeyer: Stay tuned....

This is still moving along.

They've selected an architecture firm, working on specific plans, etc.

We should have an announcement as to location soon, but all signs are pointing towards OKC / Health Sciences Center.

Article has a reference that this will be in OKC ?

Oklahoma Gov. Mary Fallin's energy conference draws record crowd in Tulsa | News OK

'Other speakers at Wednesday's conference included Mike Ming, general manager of the new GE Oil and Gas Technology Center planned for Oklahoma City'

They have previously talked about the OKC metro area, so that's probably all they meant.

HangryHippo Guest

Did this facility end up selecting the OKC site near the OUHSC?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Did this facility end up selecting the OKC site near the OUHSC?
    No public announcement yet, but that is looking to be the case.

FWIW, from Steve's chat last Friday -

BethanySooner - 10:56 a.m. Is it likely that the new GE research center will be located either just north or south of 10th street and east of I235?

Steve Lackmeyer - 10:57 a.m. That does look like a good spot....

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    FWIW, from Steve's chat last Friday -

BethanySooner - 10:56 a.m. Is it likely that the new GE research center will be located either just north or south of 10th street and east of I235?

Steve Lackmeyer - 10:57 a.m. That does look like a good spot....
    Thanks for that Bellaboo. I hope we get a public announcement soon.

Steve keeps saying that phenominal announcements are coming to the area (DD, Auto Alley, MidTown) soon, I think this could be one of them, which would be a catalyst. (just accross the Hwy)

All 'Global Research' jobs in Oklahoma on the GE careers site have a zip code of 73102, as opposed to the 'Artificial Lift' jobs in 73135. Doesn't sound like the center is going to Norman folks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo View Post
    All 'Global Research' jobs in Oklahoma on the GE careers site have a zip code of 73102, as opposed to the 'Artificial Lift' jobs in 73135. Doesn't sound like the center is going to Norman folks.
    Nice observation, and probably true (about not Norman), but 73102 (also my zip code, and that of the downtown post office, where they probably have a PO box) is basically the CBD... Reno to 10th, Shartel to the tracks. I just don't see a facility like this going into that space (I want to be wrong, e.g. 4th and Gaylord please). HSC, sure. Airpark, sure. CO-OP, sure. But CBD would surprise me a little, even though I'd like that to be the case.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Nice observation, and probably true (about not Norman), but 73102 (also my zip code, and that of the downtown post office, where they probably have a PO box) is basically the CBD... Reno to 10th, Shartel to the tracks. I just don't see a facility like this going into that space (I want to be wrong, e.g. 4th and Gaylord please). HSC, sure. Airpark, sure. CO-OP, sure. But CBD would surprise me a little, even though I'd like that to be the case.
    I don't really get the impression this is the kind of facility that would be suitable for a tower on that site (or at all), but it would be cool.

I think OKC is a good compromise for this though, at least for David Boren. OKC gets the facility and it still ends up close to or basically on an extension of the OU campus. The City of Norman may feel differently but you can please everyone.

22. Default Re: GE Global Research Center

Maybe part of the stage center tower? May explain the relative lack of height.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

I just searched and found the GE Research Center in New York. It consists of about 4 or 5 buildings between 1 and 5 floors high, spread out on about 10 - 15 acres.

I imagine this one will be similar in scope eventually, but maybe a little smaller starting out.

Is there a chance GE would split its energy center and put most of the HR, clerical and management staff in OKC but put the actual research in Norman on OU's campus.... Just a thought or maybe more like a wish?

What are the chances an oil and gas research facility gets built in a walkable neighborhood or to urban standards? Despite what GE says in their commercials - they aren't a 'green' company, even if they do make 'green' products.

Thread Information