Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Packard's

Default Re: Packard's New American Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Hemingstein View Post
    A lot of chef switching going on these days.

almost reminds one of all the changes observed in high school halls the week after prom.

2. Default Re: Packard's New American Kitchen

"High school halls" just triggered what will probably be an all-day Rush concert in my head.

Packard's seems to struggle to retain talent.

While I like the idea of some creole and / or cajun influences, this could be good or bad depending upon execution.

The missus and I along with the neighbors went for dinner tonight. It was our first visit. Kind of a mixed bag. The food and drinks were excellent. I had the Berkshire pork chop which was very tasty and the other three had the blackened redfish with shrimp etoufee (sp?). Our server was training a new waiter and also had a big top of approx. 12 next to us. Food came quickly but drinks seemed to be a problem. Before I hear about how they are custom cocktails....they came quickly. It was tap beer that seemed to be a problem. The other husband and I finally gave up on the last order and had them cancel it as it took so long that we were all ready to go home. As an old restaurant manager and bartender, I was watching. The problem wasn't necessarily with our wait staff as they were very busy with separate checks. The problem was with the bartender who was so busy chatting up the 2-3 people at the bar or just disappearing to check her service bar printouts. As our server was busy, they couldn't bug her and so our drinks were never poured. As they were never poured...none of the other people could run them over. what was funny was after we cancelled the beers and they brought our checks.....she finally made poured them and some other server ran them out to us quite surprised when we told him they had been cancelled. I watched the bartender for quite a while and it was clear that she was useless other than working her tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    The missus and I along with the neighbors went for dinner tonight. It was our first visit. Kind of a mixed bag. The food and drinks were excellent. I had the Berkshire pork chop which was very tasty and the other three had the blackened redfish with shrimp etoufee (sp?). Our server was training a new waiter and also had a big top of approx. 12 next to us. Food came quickly but drinks seemed to be a problem. Before I hear about how they are custom cocktails....they came quickly. It was tap beer that seemed to be a problem. The other husband and I finally gave up on the last order and had them cancel it as it took so long that we were all ready to go home. As an old restaurant manager and bartender, I was watching. The problem wasn't necessarily with our wait staff as they were very busy with separate checks. The problem was with the bartender who was so busy chatting up the 2-3 people at the bar or just disappearing to check her service bar printouts. As our server was busy, they couldn't bug her and so our drinks were never poured. As they were never poured...none of the other people could run them over. what was funny was after we cancelled the beers and they brought our checks.....she finally made poured them and some other server ran them out to us quite surprised when we told him they had been cancelled. I watched the bartender for quite a while and it was clear that she was useless other than working her tips.
    Should've chugged and left

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    If she was blonde and had her shirt unbuttoned halfway to her navel, she might've been the same crappy one we had at KD's. Seriously, though, thanks for the review, we want to go there, and now I'll know what to do when my beer doesn't get to my table...

How was the etouffee? I used to do the crawfish etouffee at Pearl's and last time it was just so-so...

Default Re: Packard's

This is out of the rotation for me. Any reason to rush back?

I'll say it again: OKC has to be experiencing a serious dilution of the bar / waitstaff / management talent pool; especially since unemployment is at record low and it's relatively easy to find office jobs.

And it's going to get worse; all these are opening in the next few months (just off the top of my head):

Fassler Hall / Dust Bowl
    R&J Supper Club
    Sidecar
    Broadway 10
    Bleu Garten
    Oak & Ore
    Fedora
    FlashBack RetroPub
    Pizzeria Gusto
    Pump Bar
    Daebak K
    Guyutes
    Slaughter's Hall
    Fuze

They've added some overhangs to the rooftop patio to give some much-needed shade without obstructing the great view.

Any improvements to this place, or recent observations? I've never been, but after reading the reviews from last year, I don't want to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Okcdiner View Post
    Any improvements to this place, or recent observations? I've never been, but after reading the reviews from last year, I don't want to try it.
    I'm surprised you say that. I go about once a month and it's consistently very good, with great service. I recommend it.

12. Default Re: Packard's

I go about the same, maybe more for Sunday brunch. The food and service have always been good. Their rooftop is pretty hard to beat as well... but their food menu is limited up there.

Packard's food is very good. There were a few hiccups when they opened, but I haven't had a bad meal there.

It seems they just get lost in the all the talk about new places, much like Park House.

My one experience there was excellent and it's fantastic space, both the main restaurant and rooftop.

I think we're getting a bit spoiled in OKC. So many choices and options now.

We love it! After trying it out for the first time, we made it a part of our regular rotation. It's always crowded on the weekends when we go there. Many times, there's a wait.

We love Packard's and would venture to almost call us regulars. I believe they have one of the best wine by the glass lists downtown if not in all of OKC.

They added new furniture on their roof patio. The furniture is higher quality and gives it a better atmosphere, my opinion anyways.

Looks like they are also trying out sidewalk tables.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160406_110704.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	5.41 MB 
ID:	12476

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160406_104057.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	5.22 MB 
ID:	12475

I think the reason my friends and I never stop by the Packard's roof patio is that we never really know if it is open or if there is service. I remember when it opened we stopped by on a beautiful day and they allowed us to take a beer to the rooftop, but there were no servers or people. I hadn't been back since solely because I didn't really know if/when it's open as an actual bar/restaurant.

19. Default Re: Packard's

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    I think the reason my friends and I never stop by the Packard's roof patio is that we never really know if it is open or if there is service. I remember when it opened we stopped by on a beautiful day and they allowed us to take a beer to the rooftop, but there were no servers or people. I hadn't been back since solely because I didn't really know if/when it's open as an actual bar/restaurant.
    They have a sign on 10th that will say "Patio's Open" and if you call they will let you know. They aren't open on a regular schedule up there so I usually check beforehand.

Those little rolling flower tubs are interesting. I've never seen one of those before.

Had forgotten about the rooftop patio. That'd be nice on a warm evening.

Quote Originally Posted by turnpup View Post
    Those little rolling flower tubs are interesting. I've never seen one of those before.

Had forgotten about the rooftop patio. That'd be nice on a warm evening.
    They mentioned they had to install those to set a clear boundary. The boundary is for the alcohol zone.

If only they could cook a decent meal...I go back once a year or so to Keep trying. Last time was brunch and neither the waitress or the manager/part owner asked why I had only taken 1 bite of my plate. I'm guessing that happens a lot. I'm also inclined to speculate the food cost is being severely micro-managed. Which neuters the Chefs creativity. You can spot this when a $14 plate comes with a side of grapes & cantelope with ore Ida pre-formed and par-fried "breakfast potatoes."

ESPN is going to shoot a show Saturday morning on the rooftop in preparation of the GSW vs OKC game that night.

Quote Originally Posted by OkiePoke View Post
    ESPN is going to shoot a show Saturday morning on the rooftop in preparation of the GSW vs OKC game that night.
    They'll also be there Sunday morning.

Thread Information