Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Pump Bar

Default Re: Pump Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    He's saying Edmond is way the hell up there….
    Oh..

Quote Originally Posted by IanMcDermid View Post
    Yes. Quite north. I forgot to comment on the airstream. The bathroom idea went away ages ago. We are building a stick building. I believe the site plan is public domain but it's not the we applied with. The elevation we see here was for administrative change through HP.

There is an airstream offsite. But it's our mobile food concept. It will spend most of its days (in operation, not storage) on the premises at the pump. After 100 hours we have it stripped and prepped for a rebuild. After a couple hundred more hours polishing and a very expensive trip to the stainless steel shop; we expect it to look something like this.

Attachment 6821
    That's a shame. I would've came to your restaurant just to use that bathroom lol.... not really, I'll still come anyways haha... but it would've been cool!

You can see it in the posts from Ian above, but here is the logo / pole sign for this project (sign app just submitted for approval):

4. Default Re: Pump Bar

I like it. Ian, who did your branding?

Ummmmm, that is awesome. Is it just coincidence that they're using the Texaco star?

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

You can park your rump
    in the bar they call the Pump

Where PBR makes you the star

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Ummmmm, that is awesome. Is it just coincidence that they're using the Texaco star?

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk

No, Ian mentioned it was an homage to Texaco.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    You can park your rump

Thank you for your continued posting excellence!

9. Default Re: Pump Bar

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    You can park your rump

But in a Airstream you'll no longer dump.

10. Default Re: Pump Bar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	291.2 KB 
ID:	6861Click image for larger version. 

Views:	128 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	6862Click image for larger version. 

Views:	112 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	6863

For those of you interested. I drove to Memphis yesterday purchasing this sign. One of the identical 1930-1940's texaco pole (texaco called them "banjo")signs that my station once had. We plan to keep the base. Repurpose the disc(on site). And place our own signage inside the hoop of the historic base. I have photographical evidence of it's history of course. Also the footing where the pole once sat still exists and we plan to mearly bolt it back (where it was) given the permission.

For those of you wondering "why drive 1,000 miles and buy the sign before the permit?" I've looked for over a year and made offers on several I've found. This was the first one that was actually for sale. It's worth everything just to have it ready. Plus: Graceland side trip!!!
    Last edited by IanMcDermid; 03-01-2014 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Typos!

11. Default Re: Pump Bar

Robothouse. We should have a full rollout soon. Brian Winkler is trying to earn himself another Addy Award. He's got my vote for the logo.

Views:	134 
Size:	291.2 KB 
ID:	6861Click image for larger version. 

Views:	128 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	6862Click image for larger version. 

Views:	112 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	6863

For those of you interested. I drove to Memphis yesterday purchasing this sign. One of the identical 1930-1940's texaco pole (texaco called them "banjo")signs that my station once had. We plan to keep the base. Repurpose the disc(on site). And place our own signage inside the hoop of the historic base. I have photographical evidence of it's history of course. Also the footing where the pole once sat still exists and we plan to mearly bolt it back (where it was) given the permission.

For those of you wondering "why drive 1,000 miles and buy the sign before the permit?" I've looked for over a year and made offers on several I've found. This was the first one that was actually for sale. It's worth everything just to have it ready. Plus: Graceland side trip!!!

If you are interested in selling the Texaco signage you are replacing, I would be very interested in buying.

I drove to Memphis yesterday purchasing this sign. One of the identical 1930-1940's texaco pole (texaco called them "banjo")signs that my station once had. We plan to keep the base. Repurpose the disc(on site). And place our own signage inside the hoop of the historic base. I have photographical evidence of it's history of course. Also the footing where the pole once sat still exists and we plan to mearly bolt it back (where it was) given the permission.
    So cool!

More and more excited about this project.

14. Default Re: Pump Bar

Robothouse. We should have a full rollout soon. Brian Winkler is trying to earn himself another Addy Award. He's got my vote for the logo.
    I thought it might be Brian. He does such great work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BillyOcean View Post
    If you are interested in selling the Texaco signage you are replacing, I would be very interested in buying.
    Incidentally there's this very old (though probably not quite as old) and much closer sign right across from the Farmer's Market just sitting there not doing anything. Site of the future Pump Bar #2?

Name:	IMAG1697.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	280.9 KB 
ID:	6873
    Took this today.

16. Default Re: Pump Bar

Yeah Billy, he wouldn't even return my phonecalls for an offer of $2,000 on that one. Looked him up from the county assessors site.

I think I'll keep this one, there's a good story to it. I'll put it on the site somewhere and hope the kids won't tag & carve it.

Lots of trailer work since I got back from Memphis, wired the new brake assemblies, finished prep, prime, enamel on the tongue, and got 2/3rds of the sub-floor in. When I up a new batch of photos to social media I'll post some up here too. Looking to sub-contract the polishing and that could as early as Wednesday. Hopefully she will be ready early enough to launch it with the rest of the bar.

When is the projected opening? I'm really excited for this! I can see the pump bar from my backyard.

Very exciting to see what's happening in this area.

19. Default Re: Pump Bar

Here's a question to the community: what type of food do you want me to serve out of the IN-house kitchen?

The airstream is coming along nicely. But at the end of the day, it's still mobile and can serve anywhere. Not just the pump. And if it's wildly successful I might just start dragging it around town on the daily. I'm required to have a kitchen indoors to operate as a restaurant. That let's me out of all kinds of nasty requirements that apply to bars, like a sprinkler system. And then when the neighborhood assn. hears the word "bar," out come the torches and pitchforks. I think you guys call them nimby's?

There's a lot of fitness business going into the rise and I'm going to cater a portion of the menu to that crowd to snag some post workout sales.

I need a food item for the not-so-fitness-crazed. Cheese-steak, coney dogs(I almost went with this one but I get burnt out on them so easily, I hit Coney Island 2-3 times a year and I'm set) pizza(mute point), that type of thing.

I'm very interested in your suggestions. I'm also very limited on cooking equipment due to space limitations. Think will's cafe/lobby bar small. No room for a hood so it can't be deep fried or charbroiled.

I'm not modeling myself after a Louie's but it's my basis for argument on healthy options at a bar. I see a lot of wraps and salads next to heavy beers on the tables there. Now I need some UN-healthy options to balance.

20. Default Re: Pump Bar

Maybe some simple tapas-type stuff for "healthier" options. Like hummus/pita bread, grilled chicken skewers, a fruit and cheese plate. Just off the top of my head.
    Also please please tell me the patio will be dog friendly! I know people here have mixed feelings about that, but the cool restaurants with patios all allow them (Sauced, West, Urban Wineworks, etc. etc.)

Here's a question to the community: what type of food do you want me to serve out of the IN-house kitchen?

The airstream is coming along nicely. But at the end of the day, it's still mobile and can serve anywhere. Not just the pump. And if it's wildly successful I might just start dragging it around town on the daily. I'm required to have a kitchen indoors to operate as a restaurant. That let's me out of all kinds of nasty requirements that apply to bars, like a sprinkler system. And then when the neighborhood assn. hears the word "bar," out come the torches and pitchforks. I think you guys call them nimby's?

There's a lot of fitness business going into the rise and I'm going to cater a portion of the menu to that crowd to snag some post workout sales.

I need a food item for the not-so-fitness-crazed. Cheese-steak, coney dogs(I almost went with this one but I get burnt out on them so easily, I hit Coney Island 2-3 times a year and I'm set) pizza(mute point), that type of thing.

I'm very interested in your suggestions. I'm also very limited on cooking equipment due to space limitations. Think will's cafe/lobby bar small. No room for a hood so it can't be deep fried or charbroiled.

I'm not modeling myself after a Louie's but it's my basis for argument on healthy options at a bar. I see a lot of wraps and salads next to heavy beers on the tables there. Now I need some UN-healthy options to balance.

Now I need some UN-healthy options to balance.
    Gourmet sausages and Belgian fries (think you know a bit about this item).

I talked to Keith Paul about this idea years ago but it's really more of a bar thing and not up his street...

But there is a wildly popular place here (Southern Cal) called Wurstkuche, that more or less kick-started the beer garden craze. The u/c Fassler Hall has sausages but this is taking it up a notch: Wurstküche Menu.

Mutts is somewhat similar but it seems they focus on the add-ons and buns rather than truly unique sausages.

Sausages and fries are easy to cook and -- obviously -- fantastic with beers.

There's a place that started in NJ that instead of having sandwiches and sides, they just put the sides on the sandwiches. So, instead of chicken fingers and fries with a side of honey mustard, the whole thing is on a six inch sub. Does OKC have anything like that?

Glad to hear there is going to be some healthy options! As for unhealthy, Philly cheesesteaks sound really good. The idea of having the mean and the sides all in one sub also sounds interesting. I haven't seen that anywhere.

They are called "fat sandwiches" and they come off "grease trucks."

Here is a good example of a fat sandwich truck: R U HUNGRY? - The Original Grease Truck

I know it is a long treck, but you should check out Petrol Station in Houston. They have a very similar setup (old gas station in a transitioning neighborhood) and have managed to do some incredible food given a very limited kitchen size (granted food takes about 45min on a busy night, but that just means I drink an extra beer while I wait).

Sample of their menu:

Lamb Burger with feta/rosemary fries
    TBA - Turkey Bacon Avacado Sandwich with Balsamic Onion Marmelade
    Scotch Eggs
    Meatloaf
    Duck Tacos

Thread Information