Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Pump Bar

Default Re: Pump Bar

I like the shipping container redesign. Makes more sense than the rinky diny Airstream idea. Here is to hoping the project is full steam ahead.

Just applied for a building permit for the revised bathroom module (changed due to design review) so they must be getting close to starting work in earnest.

Really excited about this project!

So what all developments does Land Run have in the works?

I saw today that the old garage doors are open now at the Pump.

Photo from 2/1/14 from Metro:

6. Default Re: Pump Bar

Fill 'er up!

7. Default Re: Pump Bar

Back before I knew or cared about anything downtown, probably 2007, me and a friend were at a concert with some band friends at that venue next door and the friend I was with liked to explore places and we were poking around inside this place and it was run down even then. Funny how interests and things can completely change.

^

Back in the late 70's, I was still in college and yet to really learn much about architecture or urban design when they were trying to get the downtown Galleria off the ground... And I was actually in favor of them tearing down Robinson Renaissance to create an entry plaza at that corner!

I also remember not caring at all what happened to the Colcord, and now it's one of my favorite developments anywhere.

It is very funny how your interests and passions evolve over time. Hopefully, most of us get wiser.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

Back in the late 70's, I was still in college and yet to really learn much about architecture or urban design when they were trying to get the downtown Galleria off the ground... And I was actually in favor of them tearing down Robinson Renaissance to create an entry plaza at that corner!

I also remember not caring at all what happened to the Colcord, and now it's one of my favorite developments anywhere.

It is very funny how your interests and passions evolve over time. Hopefully, most of us get wiser.
    I think that generally the zeitgeist of 2014 is innovation through historic preservation. If I were a planner in the 1970s I would probably be more persuaded by the trends of that era.

Work underway at Pump Bar.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	701.2 KB 
ID:	6646   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	104 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	6647  

Thanks!

I edited your post to rotate and right-size the photos.

12. Default Re: Pump Bar

I have heard work on the airstream trailer restrooms is ongoing off-site.

Cool. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by CuatrodeMayo View Post
    I have heard work on the airstream trailer restrooms is ongoing off-site.
    They changed to a more container-like building because the airstream didn't allow for ADA issues:

15. Default Re: Pump Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They changed to a more container-like building because the airstream didn't allow for ADA issues:
    Oh yea...forgot. Anyways, it's in progress off-site.

Someone reminded me that there used to be a place called Pump's Bar & Grill at 5700 N. Western; the triangular-shaped property at Western and Grand. They later opened up another location on Broadway in Edmond.

Chesapeake bought the Western property some time ago and demolished the structure, which was an old gas station.

It was much more of a restaurant than a bar with only a small outside patio, with all the usual cheesy gas station paraphernalia all over the walls:

Pete, didn't this become a Tapwerks before it was closed and torn down?

19. Default Re: Pump Bar

Quote Originally Posted by DammitDan View Post
    Pete, didn't this become a Tapwerks before it was closed and torn down?
    Yeah and it was a pretty good spot to grab a pint or 8.

20. Default Re: Pump Bar

It was the ORIGINAL Tapwerks, opened before the Bricktown location. It was based directly on the Ginger Man in Dallas, though a tiny version of the concept. Opened perhaps 1992..? The Ginger Man really feels more like the Bricktown TW or perhaps even moreso the Tulsa McNellies. Every time I visit The Old Monk in Dallas I'm reminded of the Western Tapwerks. It will live forever as one of my favorite places. The jukebox was rad. Darts. Beer snob beer. And you could smoke a cigar, just as cigars hit new heights of popularity. Good times...

21. Default Re: Pump Bar

It's surprising how many people remember pump's. I don't. Is it still operating in Canad...err, edmond? I was barely old enough to have a beer or two before tapwerks 1 was bought and eventually razed. It was a truly sad day when the parking blocks went in and the short-cut to s.bound western was cut.

I pledge there will be little to no automobilia in the pump. There's plenty in the porcelain on steel exterior and the texaco star inspired accents. The brand is on homage to the spirit that inspired the artwork. But it's in broader strokes than just petroleum and coca cola.

Quote Originally Posted by IanMcDermid View Post
    It's surprising how many people remember pump's. I don't. Is it still operating in Canad...err, edmond? I was barely old enough to have a beer or two before tapwerks 1 was bought and eventually razed. It was a truly sad day when the parking blocks went in and the short-cut to s.bound western was cut.

I pledge there will be little to no automobilia in the pump. There's plenty in the porcelain on steel exterior and the texaco star inspired accents. The brand is on homage to the spirit that inspired the artwork. But it's in broader strokes than just petroleum and coca cola.
    What?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    What?
    He's saying Edmond is way the hell up there….

24. Default Re: Pump Bar

Yes. Quite north. I forgot to comment on the airstream. The bathroom idea went away ages ago. We are building a stick building. I believe the site plan is public domain but it's not the we applied with. The elevation we see here was for administrative change through HP.

There is an airstream offsite. But it's our mobile food concept. It will spend most of its days (in operation, not storage) on the premises at the pump. After 100 hours we have it stripped and prepped for a rebuild. After a couple hundred more hours polishing and a very expensive trip to the stainless steel shop; we expect it to look something like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	265 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	6821

25. Default Re: Pump Bar

Oh man, that is the doo doo. I only say doo doo because you can't say **** here.

Thread Information