Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pump Bar

Default Re: Pump Bar

Will they have food?

Quote Originally Posted by huskysooner View Post
    In my opinion, these people have a very incorrect view of what type of people this place will attract. The city's young professionals will flock to this place - not indigents or trouble makers.
    Who are these people that have this view, and why are they so tone deaf? This place is going to be an extraordinary success.

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    Who are these people that have this view, and why are they so tone deaf? This place is going to be an extraordinary success.
    Probably older people who would prefer a Luby's than a place like The Service Station in Norman.

These are the same type of people who blocked Whole Foods going into NH Plaza, which ultimately resulted in the construction of Classen Curve. The end result was that a whole lot of sales tax is in OKC coffers rather than NH coffers.

They are typically older and don't like change, even if it might be for the better. Paranoia increases with age, and I can only imagine who these people think are going to be invading their quietly decaying neighborhood. They usually have a lot of time on their hands and thus can attend every meeting, organize and get people's attention.

While this might seem stereotypical, I've been going to CC meetings here and in other cities where I've lived, and I can pick them out of the audience before they ever speak. And, since I'm close to or about their age, I can make age one of the reasons without being rude!

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Good lord. What is wrong with people in this city? Must this happen over and over? Hopefully not.
    That is why it is called the Hysterical Society.

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    Do we currently have any examples of local successful restaurants with primarily outdoor dining? I love the idea, but the idea keeps bumping up against the reality in my head.
    I feel like Big Truck Taco has a better outdoor vibe than in.

Do we currently have any examples of local successful restaurants with primarily outdoor dining? I love the idea, but the idea keeps bumping up against the reality in my head.
    Also, The Library in Norman.

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Probably older people who would prefer a Luby's than a place like The Service Station in Norman.
    Do they think indigents and urchins will be walking there to enjoy a $6 local beer and instagram it?

9. Default Re: Pump Bar

The Wedge on western has a pretty big patio if I recall

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Cotter View Post
    What "element" could be worse than a boarded up gas station? I would be here often, if opened, and I hope to get that chance.

Oh, and I'm a clean cut lawyer under 30. Lock your doors, southern Paseo - Mr. Cotter is on the loose!
    Ha.

No doubt it's a strange perspective for them to have given its immediate surroundings. The few blocks above 23rd right there really are hit or miss, and that's kind of being polite. I love uptown and the Paseo, but let's be honest, it's no Heritage Hills or Crown Heights. In other words, it's kind of surprising to have some snooty complaining from the locals going on about this one.

11. Default Re: Pump Bar

Hello, my name is Ian McDermid. As you can see from my username I was formerly the concept designer, operator, general manager of the drunken fry. My fiance and I resigned in december to pursue a new concept on our own. Love it or hate it the fry was my first concept and is still what i feel is the best fit for that space/building/neighborhood/budget/target audience/etc. I've submitted for a new profile but wanted to post on the last few day's discussion asap.

I've been keeping as quiet as I could publicly until now because we were still working terms for the lease (signed) and waiting for our HPC hearing which is in fact tomorrow. So any of you proponents are more than welcome to attend the HP hearing tomorrow and show your support. It's at 2pm in city hall 200N walker, second floor, next to mick's office.

Just a couple quick things here and I will go on the record in the near future about our plans more in-depth.
    1.This will be our(my fiance and I) business we're not part of a group.
    2.There will be 170 adjacent parking spaces.
    3.There will be heaters, mister-fans, shade.
    4.There will be food, good food.
    5.Non-smoking indoors
    6.As much outdoor neon as permitted by law.

It will definitely have an austiny, denvery sort of vibe with a solid vein of proud, but sadly, mostly lost, okie route 66 style. I love that someone said "urban beer garden". I'm stealing that! I'll do 12-16 taps of good (largely local) stuff and a few bottled 3.2 my previous bar had 86 varieties. Yes the bathrooms are in an addition. I would like that addition to be an airstream trailer. It fits the concept so much better than a shipping container or a corrugated metal shed I think. I look forward to joining the neighborhood and am excited to contribute to the uptown 23rd street corridor.

And again I invite anyone who would like to show support. Hearing is at 2pm we are item 13 on the agenda so it's unlikely we'll be heard before 3pm.

-Ian & Hailey

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the meeting. I really hope this is able to become a reality.

What are the chances the NIMBYs will successfully block this?

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Ha.

No doubt it's a strange perspective for them to have given its immediate surroundings. The few blocks above 23rd right there really are hit or miss, and that's kind of being polite. I love uptown and the Paseo, but let's be honest, it's no Heritage Hills or Crown Heights. In other words, it's kind of surprising to have some snooty complaining from the locals going on about this one.
    I guess all those yuppies going to trendy bars are hella gangsta in their Audis.

But seriously, I am interested who would oppose this. That neighborhood is an odd mix of hipsters, artists, students, immigrants, and young-ish blue collar workers. None of the stereotypical "kids get off my lawn!" type of people that tends to stir up trouble with things like this.

I'm not worried about this not getting approved.

14. Default Re: Pump Bar

Ah! Glad to hear it's you Ian! Should be a great place.

By the way, yet ANOTHER place I've eyeballed for years and fantasized about opening a bar in, though I will admit I didn't have the vision for an outdoor footprint that large. I should really just go with my gut and snatch up one of these places I've been eyeing for years before they're all gone!

Thanks for the information, Ian!

Good luck at the hearing... Really excited about this concept and can't wait to see it open.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenfry View Post
    Hello, my name is Ian McDermid. As you can see from my username I was formerly the concept designer, operator, general manager of the drunken fry. My fiance and I resigned in december to pursue a new concept on our own. Love it or hate it the fry was my first concept and is still what i feel is the best fit for that space/building/neighborhood/budget/target audience/etc. I've submitted for a new profile but wanted to post on the last few day's discussion asap.

I've been keeping as quiet as I could publicly until now because we were still working terms for the lease (signed) and waiting for our HPC hearing which is in fact tomorrow. So any of you proponents are more than welcome to attend the HP hearing tomorrow and show your support. It's at 2pm in city hall 200N walker, second floor, next to mick's office.

Just a couple quick things here and I will go on the record in the near future about our plans more in-depth.
    1.This will be our(my fiance and I) business we're not part of a group.
    2.There will be 170 adjacent parking spaces.
    3.There will be heaters, mister-fans, shade.
    4.There will be food, good food.
    5.Non-smoking indoors
    6.As much outdoor neon as permitted by law.

It will definitely have an austiny, denvery sort of vibe with a solid vein of proud, but sadly, mostly lost, okie route 66 style. I love that someone said "urban beer garden". I'm stealing that! I'll do 12-16 taps of good (largely local) stuff and a few bottled 3.2 my previous bar had 86 varieties. Yes the bathrooms are in an addition. I would like that addition to be an airstream trailer. It fits the concept so much better than a shipping container or a corrugated metal shed I think. I look forward to joining the neighborhood and am excited to contribute to the uptown 23rd street corridor.

And again I invite anyone who would like to show support. Hearing is at 2pm we are item 13 on the agenda so it's unlikely we'll be heard before 3pm.

-Ian & Hailey
    That's great! Hope the entire top edge is lit, that would REALLY make the place shine.

Did this pass HP review?

Looking forward to this!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RBS View Post
    Did this pass HP review?
    I think Steve said no in his chat this week due to a paperwork issue...

Quote Originally Posted by RBS View Post
    Did this pass HP review?
    From Steve's chat on Friday
    Steve Lackmeyer 10:33 a.m. No, it was deferred to the next meeting - it appears there was a paper filing glitch....
    OKC Central Chat transcript, April 5, 2013 | News OK

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I think Steve said no in his chat this week due to a paperwork issue...
    Yep

Any nay-sayers on this project should look closely at a place called petrol station in Houston. It is also an old gas station renovated several years ago into a bar. The have a rotating selection of about 20 beers, mostly local, all incredible and they serve a limited but very tasty food menu.

I mention it because when Petrol station was opened, the neighborhood that surrounds it was filled with small, fairly well maintained ranch style houses, a neighborhood called Garden Oaks. Garden Oaks and its neighbor Oak Forest have gone through an incredibly fast transformation over the past 10 years where one-by-one the 1300 sq. ft houses are being replaced by 3,000-5,000 sq ft houses, all built with very upscale and interesting finishings.

The point is, the young families that are investing half a million dollars for a new home in this neighborhood, are not looking at Petrol station as a liability, they love the fact that they have a fun place they can grab a burger and a beer within walking distance of their homes.

I looked it on Google HD streetview. Looks like a nice joint!

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I would say that Sauced - not too far from this space - probably would be a pretty good analog. The interior space is tiny, the outside space far larger. During probably 8 months of the year I'm pretty confident more revenue is derived from people sitting outside, and during the cold months the business subsists on the people in the small interior space. I think outdoor dining is grossly underexplored by operators in OKC. A few weeks ago I had breakfast at a great place in Denver, outside, and it was 40 degrees. The place was perfectly set up with walls to block the wind plus overhead heaters. The patio doors to the inside portion of the restaurant were thrown wide open, and people outside were shedding jackets as quickly as they sat down. Though it was downright chilly outside, it was warm-ish in the defined space. I've also had a comfortable meal outside on a 100+ degree day in Phoenix. If you can have great outdoor dining in Montreal, San Antonio and Phoenix you can have it here.
    Unlike in Austin where you have 6-8 months of summer and humidity misters actually function a bit better in OKC, with shade/misters summers can be tolerable. During the height of Austin summers we rarely used outdoor dining areas and we didn't do much else outdoors either. Most places like Rudy's have ways to seal off outdoor dining areas to be useable in the heat or few "cold" days in Austin, if not those areas sit empty when it is 105+ in the evening until the sun goes down and the temps drop below 100. The shade at the Flying Saucer at The Triangle could make it tolerable up to 100, even for someone like me who is more sensitive to heat than cold. Many outdoor places here in Denver use the propane heaters with wind breaks as Urbanized mentioned and it is tolerable with those in place. For the type of clientele they are seeking to attract I don't think it will be a big issue for them.

Default Re: Uptown 23rd Development.

Anybody have any updates on the Pump Bar?

Any updates on this? Have the NIMBYs managed to kill it or is it still in the works?

Thread Information