Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Illegal gaming machines bust

Default Re: Illegal gaming machines bust

Quote Originally Posted by BBatesokc View Post
    The author I was replying to mentioned nothing more than "Until the laws are changed the decision is simple, OBEY THE EXISTING LAW. For those flouitng the law you get what you deserved."

Try and distort it to whatever you choose, but I stand behind my original reply.
    I don't see where I'm distorting a call to obey laws or, in your case, a call to decide for yourself which laws are lawful. In our society, we should obey laws and try to change those we don't think are right. I stand by my response (but then again, we disagree on the Edward Snowden: Hero or Criminal thread, too.

2. Default Re: Illegal gaming machines bust

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    I don't see where I'm distorting a call to obey laws or, in your case, a call to decide for yourself which laws are lawful. In our society, we should obey laws and try to change those we don't think are right. I stand by my response (but then again, we disagree on the Edward Snowden: Hero or Criminal thread, too.
    And our history CLEARLY shows many laws were only changed AFTER civil disobedience occurred and brave individuals disregarded those laws to bring attention to them.

@ Garin Odd .. Nope Just Good Business Sense

And our history CLEARLY shows many laws were only changed AFTER civil disobedience occurred and brave individuals disregarded those laws to bring attention to them.
    I think there's quite a difference between the attitudes of Rev. Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks and the attitudes of the El Reno VFW running an illegal gaming operation.

5. Default Re: Illegal gaming machines bust

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    I think there's quite a difference between the attitudes of Rev. Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks and the attitudes of the El Reno VFW running an illegal gaming operation.
    Funny, I never mentioned either of those names.

While I'd certainly include those as the most readily recognized examples, there are plenty of examples of civil disobedience that resulted in greater awareness, and a rethinking of the laws on lesser known levels.

If people just 'go along' with all laws then none of them change.

While you have to be prepared to suffer the consequences - I applaud many examples of civil disobedience, even if I don't always agree with the motives.

An attitude of 'just blindly obey all laws regardless' is a concept I don't subscribe to.

... there are plenty of examples of civil disobedience that resulted in greater awareness, and a rethinking of the laws on lesser known levels..
    I'm sure I could google up a couple, but none really come to mind right now. Test: without internet search, can you come up with any?

Thread Information