Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Texas-Oklahoma Passenger Rail Study Public Open House March 25th

Default Texas-Oklahoma Passenger Rail Study Public Open House March 25th

The Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), in coordination with the Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT), has scheduled a series of 12 open houses for public comments through late March and early April as part of the Texas-Oklahoma Passenger Rail Study (TOPRS), which will evaluate a range of passenger rail service options in an 850-mile corridor from Oklahoma City to south Texas.

A public open house will be held on Monday, March 25th from 6pm to 8pm at the Metro Tech Center, 1900 Springlake Drive, in Oklahoma City; on Tuesday, March 26th from 6pm to 8pm, another public open house will be held at the Ardmore Train Station, 251 East Main Street. Additionally, comments can be submitted online via TXOKRail.org; all public comments must be submitted before April 26th, 2013.

TOPRS will consider the Oklahoma City to south Texas corridor as a whole as well as within three segments: Oklahoma City to Dallas/Fort Worth, Dallas/Fort Worth to San Antonio and San Antonio to Rio Grande Valley/Corpus Christi/Laredo. TOPRS is expected to be completed in 24 months and will document the costs, benefits and impacts of rail service alternatives compared to a no-build alternative via a service-level environmental impact state, or EIS. The EIS will provide a high-level review of rail needs and potential service options in the corridor.
    The study could conclude with a decision to advance individual projects for more detailed study or a decision against making further investments in passenger rail in the corridor.

For more information, visit the Texas-Oklahoma Passenger Rail Study dedicated web page.

Default Re: Texas-Oklahoma Passenger Rail Study Public Open House March 25th

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    WHY, OH WHY, DO PEOPLE WHO WANT INPUT FROM MASS TRANSIT USERS SCHEDULE MEETINGS IN PLACES AND AT TIMES YOU CAN'T ACCESS ON MASS TRANSIT!!!

There, I feel better.
    Because if you could get there by mass transit people would wonder what the problem is.

WHY, OH WHY, DO PEOPLE WHO WANT INPUT FROM MASS TRANSIT USERS SCHEDULE MEETINGS IN PLACES AND AT TIMES YOU CAN'T ACCESS ON MASS TRANSIT!!!

There, I feel better.
    Totally agree. 6 p.m. on a Monday is too late. Kansas City holds their public meetings starting at 4 p.m. They've been having public meetings for their streetcar project. If it's good enough for Kansas City, I think 4 p.m. is good enough for our lil burg.

Wow, that's tonight, I think I will attend. I am excited that we have the possiblity to be connected by high speed rail to a major metro area as DFW which is approaching 7 million people. This could spur major development here in downtown Oklahoma City. DFW is the fastest growing metro area in the nation, and looks to stay that way for sometime.

So to help me understand better...as far as these HSR corridors go, it'll be like building a transcontinental railroad for the first time but they'll have to use eminent domain to acquire land to build the best straight shot railroad? Also, dig out hills and fill in valleys or build new bridges to accommodate these potential higher speeds? They're not just going to realign the BNSF railroad. This will be a fresh set of tracks laid down by the federal government if, and when, it happens?

I'm asking my question now because I work til 8pm.

Yes, they would have to construct new tracks to accomodate such high speeds, in excess of 200mph...We are talking billions of dollars here. ODOT has certain right aways they can use, I am sure eminent domain will be a factor.

I wonder where they would put HSR hub here? The Producers COOP site looks great for something like this...they could link in to OKC transit Hub, via street car...ok...I am getting excited, I need to slow down, lol.

Yeah, Federal eminent domain is about the only thing that will be able to be used to seize the co-op mill site. That is where I always thought a hub would work. I'm just wondering where from there a high speed network would go. In the city, you would have to use the BNSF right of way, until you get, say, beyond Norman.

Could they not just build it along the interstates? They have a pretty large right of way, don't they?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Could they not just build it along the interstates? They have a pretty large right of way, don't they?
    Even on that note, how do you align the new rails without hindering businesses along the frontage roads? It would have to be built along BNSF right of way through the city and suburbs before having the room to line it along the interstate. Also, in and around the Arbuckle Mountains area, do you run the set in the median? Otherwise you're looking at blasting a new route and I'm pretty sure you'd get fistacuffs from the locals down there in regard to the natural beauty of the area.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Even on that note, how do you align the new rails without hindering businesses along the frontage roads? It would have to be built along BNSF right of way through the city and suburbs before having the room to line it along the interstate. Also, in and around the Arbuckle Mountains area, do you run the set in the median? Otherwise you're looking at blasting a new route and I'm pretty sure you'd get fistacuffs from the locals down there in regard to the natural beauty of the area.
    Well, they could build a tunnel in the core areas. I highly doubt they'll do that though.

What would be cool, is if they can build an elevated HSR track along I-35. Actually, that is not as far fetched as it may sound. It would be neat to be driving to work in morning and see a high speed train zip above you going 220mph.

They won't be able to follow the Oklahoma terrain at +200 mph. People would be getting sick. They are going to have to cut through hills and fill in valleys or slow down. Also, Santa Fe Station is already desginated as the HSR hub.

Well, they could build a tunnel in the core areas. I highly doubt they'll do that though.
    Alameda Corridor Freight Line - Railway Technology

Of note...

"The project has been funded by a public-private partnership to raise the necessary $2.4bn. Of this $1.165bn has come from revenue bond proceeds, $394m from the port authorities, $347m administered by the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority and $154m from other state and federal sources. The $400m federal loan will be repaid by auser fees from the railroads, which initially cost $15 for each loaded 20 foot equivalent unit (TEU) container, $4 for each empty container, and $8 for other types of loaded rail cars such as tankers and coal carriers."

Now obviously this wouldn't be a freight line, nor would it have to be three tracks across, but costs could be similar if it were to be 20 miles long before coming back to at grade.

The last thing OKC needs is another barrier built through the middle of town. That thing built in LA would be better suited for the US/Mexico border.

The project is notable for its "Mid-Corridor Trench", a below-ground, triple-tracked rail line that is 10 miles (16 km) long, 33 feet (10 m) deep and 50 feet wide
    If HSR comes to OKC and they have to go below grade I would prefer they do 'cut and cover' along Shields/EKG/Broadway.

Quote Originally Posted by G.Walker View Post
    What would be cool, is if they can build an elevated HSR track along I-35. Actually, that is not as far fetched as it may sound. It would be neat to be driving to work in morning and see a high speed train zip above you going 220mph.
    Dude, I was actually thinking the exact same thing! That would be awesome, really. Kind of like an elevated monorail, but it would obviously be doubled tracked and moving 200-300mph.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Alameda Corridor Freight Line - Railway Technology

Of note...

"The project has been funded by a public-private partnership to raise the necessary $2.4bn. Of this $1.165bn has come from revenue bond proceeds, $394m from the port authorities, $347m administered by the Los Angeles County Metropolitan Transportation Authority and $154m from other state and federal sources. The $400m federal loan will be repaid by auser fees from the railroads, which initially cost $15 for each loaded 20 foot equivalent unit (TEU) container, $4 for each empty container, and $8 for other types of loaded rail cars such as tankers and coal carriers."

Now obviously this wouldn't be a freight line, nor would it have to be three tracks across, but costs could be similar if it were to be 20 miles long before coming back to at grade.
    That's really neat concept. I would like it more if they built a complete tunnel though. Wouldn't really be as much as a barrier for anything.

On the freight note, I've always wondered if high speed freight lines were possible. I played Gears of War(a video game) when I saw one and wondered how much it would cost and wether it would be worth it. Trains that are wider, actually attached to the track (no derails), and could hit speeds of 200mph. Bigger load capacity and faster trips means increased profits. That will probably happen when they build the intercontinental highway and bridge the Bering Straight haha. A highway and HSR from Argentina to South Africa, anyone want to through a figure on that?

Did anyone go to the meeting? If so, please provide info on how it went.

Quote Originally Posted by TechArch View Post
    I second this call - my Dadmobile duties prevented me from attending.

Quote Originally Posted by TechArch View Post
    Nearly 6 hours later after post #20 and I'm "thirding" this. Bob Kemper would know!

I'm sorry, but that is hilarious.

22. Default Re: Texas-Oklahoma Passenger Rail Study Public Open House March 25th

By the way, TxODOT said they were not responsible for the meeting location and time and that it was set up by ODOT. They gave me contact information for ODOT.

ODOT sent me a reply email saying they did not set up the meeting but that it was set up by TxDOT and gave me their contact information.
    I can sense that this joint project will go far. Why do I get images of tracks crossing the Red River but not meeting? :-P

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    I can sense that this joint project will go far. Why do I get images of tracks crossing the Red River but not meeting? :-P
    Do not fear, the bridge is there in 1985

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    It could look like this: The Worlds Worst Maintained Railroad

It seems like TxDot is pushing this a little harder than ODOT, and it seems like ODOT will play "assistant" to TxDot and follow there lead on this. I am afraid that ODOT will drag their feet, and TxDot will just move forward with Texas portion and leave Oklahoma behind, I hope this doesn't happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did.

Thread Information