Widgets Magazine

Thread: Can you help us figure out the OKC Bus Transit System Routes?

Default Can you help us figure out the OKC Bus Transit System Routes?

I'm trying to figure out the OKC bus map.

Could you take a Route 5 (Quail Springs) and somehow transfer to another bus route? The individual bus maps say there are connecting routes, but how do you figure out where you can connect to those other routes?

How on earth could you get from, say, Quail Springs Mall to Bricktown (Route Downtown Discovery)?

Or Quail Springs Mall to the State Fairgrounds (Route 38)? Or the Zoo (Route 22)?

I've tried to look at the map for hours to try to figure out how (if?) the buses intersect or connect, but I don't understand.

Has anyone ever taken the OKC bus? Any good experiences? Bad? Would the OKC bus be safe for young people to take?

Default Re: Can you help us figure out the OKC Bus Transit System Routes?

Quote Originally Posted by oki View Post
    I'm trying to figure out the OKC bus map.

Could you take a Route 5 (Quail Springs) and somehow transfer to another bus route? The individual bus maps say there are connecting routes, but how do you figure out where you can connect to those other routes?

How on earth could you get from, say, Quail Springs Mall to Bricktown (Route Downtown Discovery)?

Or Quail Springs Mall to the State Fairgrounds (Route 38)? Or the Zoo (Route 22)?

I've tried to look at the map for hours to try to figure out how (if?) the buses intersect or connect, but I don't understand.

Has anyone ever taken the OKC bus? Any good experiences? Bad? Would the OKC bus be safe for young people to take?
    At QSM, you would ride Route 5 to the Transfer center at 5th and Hudson. There you can board all other routes, including the DT discovery Route.

If it were me, from QSM to Fairgrounds, rather than trying to navigate what appears to be getting off Route 5 to catch Route 23 only to switch to Route 38 to reach the fairgrounds, I'd probably take Route 5 to the Transit Center and then take Route 9 to the fairgrounds.

Same to get to the Zoo. Unless one intends to hoof a bit between some routes, Taking Route 5 to the Transit Center and then take Route 22 out to the zoo.

My own bus experience is limited. I use Sooner Express between Norman and DT every now and again if I can make it work for me time-wise, i.e. I have a need to be there, but not for long at all. If I need to be there past 9:30 but barely, then I'll drive in so I don't remain in DT until nearly 3 pm. But if I know I'll be attending to matters until noon or later, the bus makes as much sense, more really, than driving does for me.

When I worked in south OKC several years back, I would occasionally ride the Sooner Express in and take another route to my location, the one that also looped Crossroads. Worked ok for me, but was not possible to take a bus back to Norman as I was busy until well after last bus of the day.

As for young people, I'll leave that to folks with more experience, but there had never been a time on any metro bus where I have felt unsafe at all, nor have I noticed anyone feeling nervous. But in truth it is not something I've watched for to any degree.

I have also found the bus drivers to be very helpful. I have never felt threatened on a bus. Just realize up front that your trip is going to take much longer than driving especially if you go downtown to make a transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by CCOKC View Post
    I have also found the bus drivers to be very helpful. ...
    Will second that. As a low level user it's always been nice that they are very courteous and informative.

Thread Information