Widgets Magazine

Thread: Lakeview Towers

Default Lakeview Towers

I drove up May today and noticed that the Lakeview Towers Apartments has changed their name in large letters at the top of the tower. Strangely, since they're at 59th and May in the Founders complex, they are calling themselves Mid-Town Apartments, complete with the hyphenation which I found funny. I found out they are out-of-town owners and probably don't have a clue that the Midtown District is miles away from Northwest Expressway and May. I just checked the ApartmentRatings website and they have 2 stars. Maybe that's why they're trying to start over. I did a little research in the Oklahoman archives before this post and found out it began construction in late 1959 and opened in 1960. It looks like it was quite an exclusive address when it opened. 52 years of Lakeview Towers is no more though, I guess it's done.

Default Re: Lakeview Towers

Yes.... I saw that last night when I was at Best Buy on 59th. Came home trying to look for a thread on it. Thanks for creating one! Looks bold at night with the bright white letters...but naming the place Midtown Apartments is kinda geographically incorrect...

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Yes.... I saw that last night when I was at Best Buy on 59th. Came home trying to look for a thread on it. Thanks for creating one! Looks bold at night with the bright white letters...but naming the place Midtown Apartments is kinda geographically incorrect...
    I haven't seen it at night yet, I bet that does look nice. Adding the word "apartments" to the large sign seems cheap to me. I don't know why, but the old Lakeview Towers with no "apartments" just seemed classier on a building like that.

4. Default Re: Lakeview Towers

Saw something similar when two different hotels along I-35 began using "Bricktown" in their name - yet they were not even within walking distance of Bricktown (which to me should be the naming expectation).

5. Default Re: Lakeview Towers

Like the Bricktown Central Plaza on MLK and Reno....plaza my foot.

I know the Hilton Garden Inn there on NW Expressway is called "Oklahoma City Midtown" on the Hilton booking website. Appears that geographical misconception is spreading.

7. Default Re: Lakeview Towers

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Like the Bricktown Central Plaza on MLK and Reno....plaza my foot.
    Exactly.

Another one at S I-35 and SE 36 used Bricktown too. I think they have since changed owners and changed their name though.

Blog Entries

If the north edge of OKC is at 150th, I guess logically mid way there. Lol. Should be "Mid-City" mot Midtown.

I recieved a flyer in the mail that they are completely renovating the place. Not sure if it has happened already or when it will.

I think it's funny that the Garfields in Shawnee has gone out of business to be replaced by something touting itself as "Bricktown Brewery."

They did major renovations with the old owner within the last 4 or so years.

Thread Information