Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Aviare (formerly Avana)

Default Re: Legacy Summit at Arts Central Update

I think the biggest problem I have is that the city and the district had to help pay for it in any way. Some of these developers are really taking advantage of us.

Anyone know when the Scott Cleaners is supposed to open up? They've had the coming soon sign up for several months and it doesn't appear any progress has been made inside.

I am not sure. I live at Legacy and we got a notice that Scott's cleaners would do our cleaning if we brought our clothes to the Legacy leasing office.

Things seem to be moving slow on developing the retail floor space. There was going to be a coffee shop but the loan fell through. One problem I'm hearing is that the leasing spaces are too small to develop any sort of restaurant or food type of service. They say that there isn't enough space for a kitchen.

I wrote their management yesterday about an update on their retail progress. Here is the answer I got today:

Thank you for your inquiry. Actually, Scott Cleaners has received his city permit and is preparing to shortly begin his build out.

Unfortunately, many of our prospective retailers had health issues or financial issues which did not allow them to carry on as planned.

We have however, this week signed a letter of intent with a Tappas Bar as well as an internet cafe and coffee shop. This gives them 30 days to gather bids from contractors and allows them to make an informed decision as to whether this is feasible for them at this time.

Both groups are extremely motivated and excited about the prospect, so we wish them well and hope to be signing a lease with them in early November.

We are every bit as anxious as our neighbors are and are looking forward to having just the right businesses to serve the needs of the community and the needs of our residents!

Sincerely,

Kathy Tisland
    Director of Marketing
    405-520-2058

Very interesting. I would love to have a tapas bar in OKC. We got hooked when we visited Spain a couple of years ago and OKC seems to be the last place in the US to have a tapas bar.

I thought we already have tapas bars OKC. I believe there is a true tapas bar on N. May as well as many places who serve tapas. I believe Bin 73 (a wine bar) also serves tapas. Tom & Jerry's on NW 23rd by OCU serves excellent tapas.

I don't know about the tapas bar on May but would love to know more. Bin 73 is great but is not a tapas bar. I haven't been to Tom and Jerry's but I think it is a restaurant that serves tapas.

I know Tom and Jerry's serves tapas (Spanish tapas). I've had them and they are excellent. As I stated above, I wasn't certain about Bin 73, I have heard they do serve them during certain hours, but I have never been thus I was uncertain. There are a few other places in the metro that serve tapas but my mind is blank right now.

We have places that serve tapas but no true tapas bars.

Check out Bin 941 - Bin 942 in Vancouver. One of the best food, wine and music experiences I have ever had!!! My dream is to open a place like this!

The tapas bars we went to in Barcelona were holes in the wall places that were a true bar, very little seating. The tapas were lined up on the bar. These were little bites (I think this is what tapas means in Spanish or Catalan or something like that) and each had a toothpick through them. They worked on the honor system in that when you were done the bartender counted the toothpicks on your plate and charge a euro a piece. They had dozens of choices in tapas and 5-6 were enough for a light meal. Not sure if this concept would work in OKC but it could be good at a bar downtown where the traffic flow is high.

Spoke with one of the leasing agents of the Legacy Arts tonight at the Urban Neighbors social. She mentioned Scott Cleaners is now out but Comet Cleaners has signed a lease there and should be up in early spring. They are supposed to have some sort of high-tech system where you can scan your clothes in-and-out without having to have a person there. They are also supposively moving forward with the tapas bar that is also supposed to be open by spring 08. I guess we'll see. Red Pin was awesome, I'll do a review in the Red Pin thread.

well i drove by tonight on my way home. I saw a sign in one of the windows (the first one on walker (southern most). The sign said "Chicken Fried Steak and Catfish" coming soon. Is this the "hip concept" Henderson and his crew have been hinting at for about a year or so now? I thought they were trying to lure a wine and tapas bar and a boutique grocery store. So long for that. The awning/sign was also up for Scott Cleaners so they should be opening fairly soon. I understand they will be offering delivery services from what I hear. Legacy at Arts Summit was a huge mistake by Urban Renewal. Allowing 3+ years delay and extensions, revising/watering down design to a smaller, more suburban design, giving land at cheap costs, other benefits, and allowing him to sell before it's even completely finished. Not attracting unique tenants. Pathetic! Not surprised with Urban Renewal behind the wheel of this one.

metro,

I saw that too. Henderson is the embodiment of the type of developer that Urban Renewal cronies favor: people who don't -- and cannot -- get it.

It would be laughable if it weren't so sad.

The huge lettering on the awning for Body Werks (or whatever the place is) looks incredibly tacky.

Was by there over the weekend and the whole development continues to disappoint.

And remember, Henderson has already sold this property to an investor.

I agree Pete, Henderson and OCURA make me sick on this project. Yes it is added residential density that we despirately need, but I have a gut feeling in 10-15 years we as a city will be kicking ourselves for this one. Give an investor a sweetheart deal, let him get 3+ years of delays, cheap land, water down his proposal that got him the bid, and then sell it off before it's finished. Why DO WE CONTINUE TO ALLOW THIS FOLKS. Please call/email Urban Renewal with your thoughts.

Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority
    204 N Robinson Ave # 2400
    Oklahoma City, OK 73102
    (405) 235-3771‎
    www. it sure is convenient we don't have a website to stay in the public eye . com

I went to the Museum opening last night (GREAT exhibit, by the way), and drove past Legacy Summit on the way home. It would be a tragedy if this project went dark. Can you imagine boarded-up windows and overgrown weeds on a complex of this size, right at the edge of our cultural district?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    I agree Pete, Henderson and OCURA make me sick on this project. Yes it is added residential density that we despirately need, but I have a gut feeling in 10-15 years we as a city will be kicking ourselves for this one. Give an investor a sweetheart deal, let him get 3+ years of delays, cheap land, water down his proposal that got him the bid, and then sell it off before it's finished. Why DO WE CONTINUE TO ALLOW THIS FOLKS. Please call/email Urban Renewal with your thoughts.

Oklahoma City Urban Renewal Authority
    204 N Robinson Ave # 2400
    Oklahoma City, OK 73102
    (405) 235-3771‎
    www. it sure is convenient we don't have a website to stay in the public eye . com
    The nice thing about it is the fact that these are apartments. There is nothing particularly remarkable about the building, so no one should whine when it's knocked down in favor of something better.

18. Default Re: Legacy Summit at Arts Central Update

At least it wasn't built near bricktown. I've driven by them before. They didn't seem bad. I've seen apartments in downtown Dallas that look the same. But then again I never saw what the original design was supposed to be.

I live n the Legacy and this place is more packed than ever with residents. The parking garage has really flled up. Anyway, the cleaners that's comng is not Scotts Cleaners, it is Comet Cleaners. The sign they have up called "Steak & Catfish" is pretty tacky. It was printed up on three 8 x 11 sheets of paper, and then they were taped together and pasted.

I don't want to knock it too much, because the apts. may be nice inside. The building exterior is a major disappointment, and clearly the developer didn't understand how to "develop retail."

Sadly, the morons and buffoons at OCURA will cite this project as an example if it fails, discouraging future housing options when this one was so royally effed up.

21. Default Re: Legacy Summit at Arts Central Update

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    I went to the Museum opening last night (GREAT exhibit, by the way), and drove past Legacy Summit on the way home. It would be a tragedy if this project went dark. Can you imagine boarded-up windows and overgrown weeds on a complex of this size, right at the edge of our cultural district?
    Why would it go dark? The residential is full. They are just having a hard time filling the retail space.

22. Default Re: Legacy Summit at Arts Central Update

If the retail lease rates are similar to the residential units, then it is no wonder they are having a tough time.

Their rates are on par with most places downtown. Again, they are nearly full - I don't see the correlation.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post

No way is this place going dark. They are at least 75% full right now and it's only getting more crowded. The reason there has been delays in finding retail people is that the legacy was trying to force retailers to do a lot of the electrical work, which the retailers didn't want to do. So after a year of this, legacy finally decided to do it themselves. That is why you are starting to see those retail spots open up. Rumor has it is that the tenant has to commit to a five year lease. However, they get the first years lease free.

Here's the fine retail Henderson's Legacy Arts recently attracted. Quality Urban Renewal project:

Thread Information