Widgets Magazine
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Aviare (formerly Avana)

Default Re: Avana

I can't tell from that picture: are they pulling off the old facade or just going right over it?

They're pulling it off.

3. Default Re: Avana

In the back, the area around 4th Street and along Dewey, they are just repainting the exterior, it's going to be more of a tan color, with some red accents (replacing the green).
    My building/section hasn't started yet, not sure which direction they plan on going in. I really don't face anything, so I may be last on the list in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by hoyasooner View Post
    You know, if all the buildings downtown that used EIFS in their construction, renovated their exteriors and replaced it with brick over the next 10 years or so, things would look a lot better.
    Yeah, but the same would likely true even if they swapped out the EFIS for vinyl siding

There was clearly some water damage in some areas, and in those sections they are stripping the EIFS completely off.

But even where they are not, they are making pretty big changes not just with paint, but with metal awnings, squaring off a lot of the openings, etc.

This place should look completely different when finished.

New signage to go with the massive exterior renovations.

Hopefully, this will look like a completely different development:

They are pretty far into the renovations. I should snap a pic. I pass there daily on my commute. Huge improvement.

It will definitely look "different." The renderings don't send a chill up my spine.

In person, it's a big improvement. There's still a lot of EIFS, but it's better than it was before.

It's really the best we could hope for given the starting point.

Credit to the new owners for trying to correct a horribly bland design.

11. Default Re: Avana

Credit to the new owners, but I don't understand why it took them so long to get to design review and why they started before doing that.

HangryHippo Guest

I think a huge improvement would have been to try and remove the pitched roof and flatten that out. Don't know how feasible that would have been, but that's the one element, to me, that makes this thing an eyesore.

They did go to design review before starting work.

They just made some changes and thus had to submit those as well.

From https://twitter.com/Cassi_Sue: This certainly is going to look very different, which can only be good.

15. Default Re: Avana

Those crosswalks, though...

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Those crosswalks, though...
    Yeah, pretty horrific.

Anyone know how much progress they've made in the re-painting project?

17. Default Re: Avana

I'd say 75% of the P180 intersections have been redone at this point. The started with the intersections with the heaviest traffic. This one is notably untouched, as are most on Walker north of Sheridan.

Interestingly I've noticed that most the intersections done up in the northwest part of the city have had the exact same thing happen. One specifically at MacArthur and 150th has been done about two years and the intersection looks just as bad as that one.

As per Steve, this sounds like a great new addition to the culinary options in this area.

Downtown Oklahoma City apartments in Avana Arts District will include chef's dream restaurant | NewsOK.com

When work wraps up on a makeover of an apartment complex that has long been considered one of downtown’s worst design misfires, it will also be anchored by a new upscale Italian restaurant being opened by two newcomers recruited to Oklahoma City.
    Robert DeCoste, who moved to Oklahoma City with his wife, Amanda Yaun, will open his restaurant Patrono this spring – but only after extensive remodeling of the former Steak and Catfish space.
    “It will be authentic Italian, not American Italian,” DeCoste said. “There will be a lot of pasta, dry and fresh that we will be making in-house, and only Italian wines.”

20. Default Re: Avana

Excited about this. OKC definitely needs a serious expansion of the diversity of dinner options downtown and this is a great addition. Very interesting that they will be dinner only and upscale; should add an interesting touch to Avana and give the Arts District an identity that has long been missing IMO.

Hopefully this will lead to a few more upscale dining options in the Arts District so that it could become the defacto fine dining neighbourhood most big cities have and give AD a purpose instead of the elementary hodge-podge of trying to include MBG/Cox/the Peake (which is clearly CBD) in with the OCMOA and Civic Center campus.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Italian food is my second favorite cuisine so I am really looking forward to this, especially being that they are going for authentic Italian and not the Americanized version. Great news!

Does anyone know if all the apartment facades are being redone or just the building on the corner?

23. Default Re: Avana

The entire complex is being re-faced.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Italian food is my second favorite cuisine so I am really looking forward to this, especially being that they are going for authentic Italian and not the Americanized version. Great news!
    I wonder what "authentic" Italian they are going for. Northern? Southern? Tuscan? There are many regional food styles in Italy, and it isn't just pasta with sauce. I hope by authentic Italian they mean that they aren't just a pasta place but truly Italian cuisine.

25. Default Re: Avana

could be a mix of regions but still authentic.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information