Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold Dome

Default Re: Gold Dome

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Best thing from that article:
    "We're still exploring opening a restaurant — but based on a Houston steakhouse model"

I'm not sure what that means.

The paint looks horrible... The original coating was a gold anodized finish the new is not even close and it appears that its already peeling of in sheets, maybe due to the cold weather... Mostly disappointed in the color though.

Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    The paint looks horrible... The original coating was a gold anodized finish the new is not even close and it appears that its already peeling of in sheets, maybe due to the cold weather... Mostly disappointed in the color though.
    Yeah I thought it would at least have some sheen to it...I thought this was just a primer coat.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Yeah I thought it would at least have some sheen to it...I thought this was just a primer coat.
    I believe it is, the up and down weather lately can make it hard to get a consistent color for final coats, especially a metallic type of coating. Those typically have a narrow range to be optimally applied.

Well if they did truly paint it, that is a shame, because the Anodized aluminum finish is what gave it the gold metallic look. Lets wait and see what takes place as the final product before getting all upset though. Agree with the lights that was a nice touch. The building's structure is too incredible to not take advantage of lighting it up at night, make sure it is the landmark that it should be to the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    I believe it is, the up and down weather lately can make it hard to get a consistent color for final coats, especially a metallic type of coating. Those typically have a narrow range to be optimally applied.
    The dome was primed first and then it received a top coat so unless it gets a third coating I think they are finished with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garin View Post
    The dome was primed first and then it received a top coat so unless it gets a third coating I think they are finished with it.
    It's borderline "terrible". I'm unimpressed.

Blog Entries

Having lived next to the dome for 6+ years with a view of it out my window, I am as passionate about seeing it shine as the next guy (and was personally offended by it being painted). But at this point let's wait for the entire site to be finished before we let our lament foam over.

I know that their are paints called mica that give the effect of anodized finishes which are generally used in applications when anodizing is too expensive. Mica's have pearlescent effect which closely compares to the original anodizing. The paint they have used has a flat look which makes the dome look like it were painted that way thirty years ago.

Blog Entries

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1417.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	683.6 KB 
ID:	6015

New paint looks a little better in the sun (that said on the north side some appears to already be peeling off). Also, didn't notice previously in the renderings that the bottom of the building was being repainted silver and copper.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG1417.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	683.6 KB 
ID:	6015

New paint looks a little better in the sun (that said on the north side some appears to already be peeling off). Also, didn't notice previously in the renderings that the bottom of the building was being repainted silver and copper.
    I really like how it looks right now. A serious Jetsons vibe.

The paint is already peeling and looks bad. I would guess it was from our ice storm and the subsequent melt. Hopefully TEEMCO will be proactive in keeping this painted and looking appropriate. Other wise, it will look just as it always has...an unkept eyesore.

Blog Entries

I noticed that on the North side of the building

HangryHippo Guest

My memory is a little fuzzy of exactly what was said, but there was a poster in one of Steve's OKCCentral chats that wrote in questioning TEEMCO's purchase of the building and what would actually happen with the property. The message was pretty ominous, questioning TEEMCO's dedication to the project and the poster warned all to be careful and that TEEMCO owning the Gold Dome might not be the positive move outsiders hoped it would be.

I too hope they will stay on top of the maintenance issues. Props to TEEMCO for their enthusiasm and aggressiveness with this project, I think that is understated. With that said, it looks like the execution on some of the work has been shoddy, but I'm trying to hold my breath and see how it turns out. Just this past week, they removed the tree lot they set up themselves over the holidays. Also the large Christmas tree and Christmas decor looked like it was my grandmas she's used since the 60's, old and kitchy. I guess time will tell what kind of quality work will be done, but so far, we have to give them credit for doing SOMETHING to this gem that has been neglected. Also props to TEEMCO for getting involved in the community (Thunder sponsor, etc.). Here's to hoping the paint job gets remedied!

From this recent article at OKC.biz:

TEEMCO entered into a contract with Box to develop the east side of the property, currently used as surface parking. Lorson says he expects to spend several million dollars on interior and exterior renovations in the coming years.

“The first step is to get the dome done and get in there,” he says. “Over the next few years, we will identify the right kind of development for the east half of the property.”
    okcBIZ: News: Gold standard

I think we need to be patient with the paint job on the Dome…the weather has been ridiculous and entirely non-condusive to good painting conditions. Obscenely low temperatures, several ice storms, large fluctuations in temperature.

If things still look shoddy in June, then we have a problem...

18. Default Re: Gold Dome

That's the problem with paint on unpainted durable surfaces such as concrete, stone, brick or metal. You create an ongoing maintenance issue where there was none previously. Chances are they will eventually spend more on long-term maintenance than they would have spent on a more lasting treatment. Law of unintended consequences.

They have said several times that the roof could not be re-anodized without disassembly and thus ruining the metal.

I don't think they have any choice but to paint it and try and keep it painted the best they can.

They are clearly willing to spend money, so it seems they are trying to do the right thing by the building.

20. Default Re: Gold Dome

Interesting. I wonder what outright fabrication and replacement would have run? I'm just not a fan of putting paint onto surfaces that have survived for decades without it.

Wrong thread!

TEEMCO Gold Dome
    by lazio85, on Flickr

It appears work has stalled on exterior renovations... I suppose weather could have something to do with it, however there haven't been any trade vehicles to suggest interior work either. Somewhat concerning... Could Teemco have bitten off more than they expected?

Wow... a whole lot of pessimists in this thread.

The weather has obviously been a pain for this project.

25. Default Re: Gold Dome

Thread Information