Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold Dome

Default Re: Gold Dome demolition permit?

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    "The City of Oklahoma City has already spent close to a million dollars on the building."

All the more reason to save this historic landmark.
    Truthfully it is all the more reason to cut the cities losses and squash it. THERE SHOULD BE NOT ONE MORE CENT OF TAXPAYER FUNDS USED TO SAVE THIS STRUCTURE. If private money is not wanting to be involved maybe there is a good reason. Such as it is a financial boondogle.

2. Default Re: Gold Dome demolition permit?

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Either this demo application was a really stupid idea or....

this is the smartest PR stunt ever.

What better way to get people interested again in the Gold Dome and its issues than to threaten to tear it down?

I doubt Box ever thought that permit would be approved (considering the history and UDC requirements) but the simple action of filing it makes me think this might have been the smartest thing ever. Lol
    This is similar to my first thought. There has to be a motive other than just bulldozing the building.

3. Default Re: Gold Dome demolition permit?

Quote Originally Posted by MustangGT View Post
    Truthfully it is all the more reason to cut the cities losses and squash it. THERE SHOULD BE NOT ONE MORE CENT OF TAXPAYER FUNDS USED TO SAVE THIS STRUCTURE. If private money is not wanting to be involved maybe there is a good reason. Such as it is a financial boondogle.
    IIFC, the city LOANED the previous owner the money to rehab the building. The previous owner failed to repay the loan so the building was foreclosed on and auctioned off. When Box bought the building, the city recouped some/all of it's money and everything is square now.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCTalker View Post
    So Box screwed up - he bought a building and discovered that it was going to be a money pit. If it's an inconsequential building and you've got a good alternate use for the site, then bring on the bulldozers and make the best of a bad situation. But this isn't an inconsequential building, it's even on the Historic Register, and he's bringing in the bulldozers as a FIRST resort.

Making the wrong decision will forever remove the building from the OKC landscape and forever ruin his reputation in the eyes of OKC preservationists. He's writing a very bad epitaph for himself. Or he can take his financial lumps, find a buyer and move on. If it's a charitable institution, he might even qualify for a tax deduction.

He's in control, but this is epically stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    The Prohibition Room did a good deal of business there. It didn't fail, Irene Lam kicked them out because she thought she could make more money renting the space out for events and that didn't work out for her. It's a neat old building with lots of potential. It's not really in need of serious renovations, except any owner is going to think that middle lobby area is a huge amount of wasted space, and they'd be right.

THIS. This is an incredibly short-sided move by Box. The Dome just lacked good management, and needs a little bit better promotion (Box's speciality). Maybe clean up the sign out front that's falling apart, but the bones of this are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    Either this demo application was a really stupid idea or....

this is the smartest PR stunt ever.

What better way to get people interested again in the Gold Dome and its issues than to threaten to tear it down?

I doubt Box ever thought that permit would be approved (considering the history and UDC requirements) but the simple action of filing it makes me think this might have been the smartest thing ever. Lol
    You know, after reading the story, I wondered the same thing. Note that he said "(They said) we have to go through urban design, and now we have to see if we want to go that route.." (or approximate words to that effect, not intended as an exact quote)...point being he didn't just flat say it was a fait accompli. Lots of free advertising to let other potential buyers the property is available if he's wanting to shed it.

I think that this may be an attempt by the current "owner" of the structure, under "consideration" (e.g.: the gold dome) to package a deal "giving new life to the I-235 corridor" on the south side: An unprecidented move, in the interests of the local common good--involving bulldozing Crossroads Mall--and establishing The OKC Architectural Park on the site! Attractions will include: The Gold Dome w/Adjacent Tower . . . Stage Center . . . and that old "Goodholm Mansion" that used to be over on 4th St., was moved to the fairgrounds, refurbished, then moved out there on NE 23rd Street, in order to get rid of old-timey clutter at the New! Improved!! Fairgrounds . . . and, for the icing on the cake of the plan, successfully completed, the Grand Opening of Le Madeline's!

Negotiations continue, as humbugs fly. The only question remaining is whether Walgreens and CVS will split the cost.

("humbug" is not a bad thing. it helps people buy into their dreams. ~ P.J. Barn'em)
    ( . . . "not to mention ample parking for independent food trucks" ~ Nuestradamous)

Don't forget Pragmatic Rule Number One: "The 'Developers' ALWAYS Win." =)
    (look at the kite-flyin' park by Lake Hefner that was 'sacrificed' to "Louie's" =)

THIS. This is an incredibly short-sided move by Box. The Dome just lacked good management, and needs a little bit better promotion (Box's speciality). Maybe clean up the sign out front that's falling apart, but the bones of this are good.
    So . . . is this mysterious "Box" any kin to Irwin? or Stanley? =)
    I would wager that the "They" he referred to have names that aren't on my keyboard. =)

7. Default Re: Gold Dome demolition permit?

and now . . . the rest of the story . . .
    real estate moguls in OKC recently opted, co-opted and generously/semi-unselfishly agreed to respect a rusting piece of history (as if aluminum from Kaiser could rust, yeah right)--not frontier city, rather another piece of history--and move/relocate it from its current location at the vibrant corner on NE 23rd (not far from what used to be historic route 66)--to another location on the cusp of the revision of What's What Next (for okc)!

Good deal all around!
    (did i forget to say 'kudos' to all involved?)

after that "bombing survivor fund debacle" i'm not sure which way is up.
    yet this is a Class(en) Act.

ps: ample sidewalks will be provided in the plan for The I-235 Museum of Architecture (in the vicinity of the former crossroads mall) in order to pacify the non-compliant desires of those previously disappointed by the decisions regarding designs for "a better boulevard/Friends thereof"

The current property owner will carry the burden of all relo expenses involved.
    One piece at a time . . . by himself . . . without even a burro.
    (that is just the way he/Them is. =)

(with a tip o' the hat t' Willard of Willards Wholesale Roofing Supply from back in the day =)
    (Willard? He's the guy who jested/semi-dissed "Spaghetti Warehouse" on the wrong side o' Bricktown. =)
    (back in the day . . . sure glad i didn't share his paradigm about stuff. other than the best place to purchase roofing supplies. =)

9. Default Re: Gold Dome demolition permit?

Oklahoma Gazette News: Gold Dome in trouble

A coworker told me they said on the radio that Box offered to give the gold dome part away to who ever wants is plus $100k but I don't know if that's true. The whole point is that it's a landmark where it is. Not sure if he gets it.

It's incredible how many selfish people "demand" the owner to keep it or whatnot. He bought it and should be able to do with it what he wants. Obviously he bought it at the auction to save it, but has discovered it's cost prohibitive to save. So this makes two entities in the last 10 years try to demolish it so wouldn't you think they would be the ones to know if it could be financially viable to save? Box has been instrumental in buying old properties and renovating them (look at Campus Corner, Bricktown, and Automobile Alley) so if anyone were going to buy and renovate it would be this guy. Who are you to not believe the guy? Put your money where your mouth is or let it go.

Hopefully he gets to tear that eyesore down and recoup some of his $$ in some other manner

He should be required to have both a plan and proof of financing to develop the property before he's allowed to tear it down. It's not even dilapidated.

Read somewhere recently that it can't be used as a bank again (its original purpose) due to some sort of zoning??? Does anyone know any more info? Cant properties be rezoned?

That sounds very false. The zoning there is C-3, I believe. I'd love to see the source of that info...

It's not a zoning issue, it was a restrictive covenant (deed restriction) placed on the sale from JP Morgan Chase.

https://oklahoma.amcad.com/oklahoma/...t%3A2006141011

This showed up on the Architects Newspaper blog this morning.

Oklahoma City Developer: Take My Geodesic Dome And Get $100,000!

17. Default Re: Gold Dome demolition permit?

Guess what I heard was right.

By the way, here's a Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Save-...90644714296325

I like the Gold Dome and hope it stays, but it's "in the style of" or "based upon the patented plans of..." someone who made his mark on this country. It's odd that there seems to be a greater outcry for saving it than other buildings we have lost or may lose that were actually designed and built by the noted architects or in one case may have been his seminal work.

Everyone always laments the loss of the Baum or the Biltmore and can never understand what the crazy folks in the 1970s were thinking. Well, they were thinking about leaky roofs, the cost of installing central air in old buildings, and building shiny new developments in their place. Not much has changed really.

I'm okay with getting rid of the Vatican if there is a higher and better use for it (rationally of course...since there are crazies who would love to see the Vatican off the face of the planet). There just is never going to be a higher and better use for the property.

I'm sure there are higher and better uses for the property than the Gold Dome...but let's not tear it down without a viable replacement ready to start immediately.

Yeah the only problem is a shiny new development wont be built in place of the gold dome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cocaine View Post
    Yeah the only problem is a shiny new development wont be built in place of the gold dome.
    This is where the city needs to begin a protocol that it is not okay to demolish a structure without plans in place to replace it. I understand there are legitimate exceptions...the Gold Dome is not one of them.

Maintenance and upkeep is not a good reason to tear down a structure of that size and scope and in that location.

Quote Originally Posted by Questor View Post
    I like the Gold Dome and hope it stays, but it's "in the style of" or "based upon the patented plans of..." someone who made his mark on this country. It's odd that there seems to be a greater outcry for saving it than other buildings we have lost or may lose that were actually designed and built by the noted architects or in one case may have been his seminal work.

Everyone always laments the loss of the Baum or the Biltmore and can never understand what the crazy folks in the 1970s were thinking. Well, they were thinking about leaky roofs, the cost of installing central air in old buildings, and building shiny new developments in their place. Not much has changed really.
    Many of those empty lots in downtown have sat vacant or have been nothing more than surface parking lots for 40 years or so. OKC is not NYC, just because you tear a building down doesn't mean a replacement is in the works, history is proof of that as very little of the Pei Plan was actually completed in comparison to what was demolished. Too many developers in OKC have the mentality that it is easier to sell a blank canvas than a lot that has something on it and the property taxes on "unimproved property" is less. I know that was a big problem in Dallas and Austin because of how high property taxes are there.

Tanenbaum was at the auction. He just didn't want to pay as much as David Box did. Box threw out the first bid at $800K, which was much higher than anyone else wanted to bid. Tanenbaum shook Boxs hand and told him "Good Luck" and walked out of the auction. He does not live in the building.
    Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    Tanenbaum owns the Classen. In fact, doesn't he live there?

Surely he has a vested interest in what happens next door.

The City didn't "spend" a million on the building. They loaned Irene Lam a million to renovate. She never paid them back. She is still on the hook for the million, though if she hasn't paid in 6 years, I doubt she will start now.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    "The City of Oklahoma City has already spent close to a million dollars on the building."

All the more reason to save this historic landmark.

Thread Information