Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold Dome

Default Re: Gold Dome demolition permit?

Wait. I thought Irene Lam owned the Gold Dome. When did David Box purchase it?

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Wait. I thought Irene Lam owned the Gold Dome. When did David Box purchase it?
    The linked article says this past September. I missed it too and thought Lam still owned it.

Children's Museum?

Nightmare.

I was all ready to let go of Stage Center but I can't take much more of this.

Seems it may be time to draw a line in the sand with these demolitions. I'm sure Box will point to Stage Center and ask, "What's the difference?" And he'd have a point.

So Box screwed up - he bought a building and discovered that it was going to be a money pit. If it's an inconsequential building and you've got a good alternate use for the site, then bring on the bulldozers and make the best of a bad situation. But this isn't an inconsequential building, it's even on the Historic Register, and he's bringing in the bulldozers as a FIRST resort.

Making the wrong decision will forever remove the building from the OKC landscape and forever ruin his reputation in the eyes of OKC preservationists. He's writing a very bad epitaph for himself. Or he can take his financial lumps, find a buyer and move on. If it's a charitable institution, he might even qualify for a tax deduction.

He's in control, but this is epically stupid.

That's a shame.

The Prohibition Room did a good deal of business there. It didn't fail, Irene Lam kicked them out because she thought she could make more money renting the space out for events and that didn't work out for her. It's a neat old building with lots of potential. It's not really in need of serious renovations, except any owner is going to think that middle lobby area is a huge amount of wasted space, and they'd be right.

A geodesic dome by Buckminster Fuller totally outweights a concrete boxes and metal tubes for hamsters in the middle of downtown any day of the week!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Nightmare.

I was all ready to let go of Stage Center but I can't take much more of this.

Seems it may be time to draw a line in the sand with these demolitions. I'm sure Box will point to Stage Center and ask, "What's the difference?" And he'd have a point.
    The difference is if the Stage Center gets demolished it will likely be for a new skyscraper. This developer is wanting a Walgreens at the Gold Dome site.

This really reminds me of Little Rock demolishing a historic theatre recently (very similar to our Tower theater) to put in a parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    The difference is if the Stage Center gets demolished it will likely be for a new skyscraper. This developer is wanting a Walgreens at the Gold Dome site.

This really reminds me of Little Rock demolishing a historic theatre recently (very similar to our Tower theater) to put in a parking lot.
    No, this developer wants to demolish with no published replacement. Walgreens and CVS exist already on opposite corners here.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    A geodesic dome by Buckminster Fuller totally outweights a concrete boxes and metal tubes for hamsters in the middle of downtown any day of the week!
    This dome wasn't designed by or build by Buckminster Fuller.

The Gold Dome was designed by Robert B. Roloff of the Oklahoma architecture firm Bailey, Bozalis, Dickinson & Roloff in collaboration with Kaiser Aluminum Corp. The building was based on the geodesic design by noted inventor, architect and engineer Buckminster Fuller.

Does anyone have an idea how many buildings were built with Kaiser Alum gold dome roofs on them?

I hate having a contest between two buildings because it really doesn't matter, but Stage Center is a lot more interesting and unique to me than the dome. Obviously, mileage varies. And we'll probably lose both, unfortunately.

Kerr Center at ECU, Ada, Oklahoma.

Some history I always wondered about: Kaiser Aluminum Dome

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    No, this developer wants to demolish with no published replacement. Walgreens and CVS exist already on opposite corners here.
    I am hearing Walgreen's wants to move across the street to be closer to CVS.

That was a different "Box" and Chris Calhoun who wanted to do that 12-13 years ago. I did preliminary design drawings for the Walgreen's/Bank One on the Gold Dome site back then (much to our dismay). That didn't happen at that time so the Walgreen's went in on the southwest corner instead.

I am hearing Walgreen's wants to move across the street to be closer to CVS.
    Whoever told you that is misinformed, the Walgreen's on that corner is maybe 10 years old and most are on 20 year build-to-suit leases.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    While I have not been on board with rescuing the Stage Center, I think the Gold Dome is very much integrated into the life of OKC and should be preserved if possible.
    A geodesic dome by [Buckminster Fuller][or another architect] totally outweights a concrete boxes and metal tubes for hamsters in the middle of downtown any day of the week!
    I'm with youse guys . . . Someone needs to revoke a certain joker's real estate speculation license.
    (good description of stage center by the way =)
    (is "speculation" another word for "spitting on"? or does it just sound like another word for spitting on?)

I heard it was Rite-Aid

just kidding, i smell the scent of sarcasm...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Praedura View Post
    Tanenbaum owns the Classen. In fact, doesn't he live there?
    He does not live in the building. His son used to live in one of the penthouses before moving to Brazil.

"The City of Oklahoma City has already spent close to a million dollars on the building."

All the more reason to save this historic landmark.

Well, attitudes have set precedent in Oklahoma. If is not what 'I' like then there is NO justification to save anything. If a single dollar can be saved, or earned, from this moment on (prior value or investment does not matter) then there is no justification not to turn into a parking lot - there's money to be made! At least after this site has been recyled to a more 'useful' purpose, those who love the dome can drive to Ada to see that more useful dome - until it is torn down.

21. Default Re: Gold Dome demolition permit?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    He does not live in the building. His son used to live in one of the penthouses before moving to Brazil.
    I think that he recently bought a condo in the City Place building on Park & Robinson.

I suspect what makes this area unique is the combination of the 'Buckminister' inspired dome adjacent to the 'FLWright' inspired Classen tower. Together the two make an architectural 'tour de force' - even though both are not originals. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7687473842_2436685de5_z.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	3508

Quote Originally Posted by TAlan CB View Post
    I suspect what makes this area unique is the combination of the 'Buckminister' inspired dome adjacent to the 'FLWright' inspired Classen tower. Together the two make an architectural 'tour de force' - even though both are not originals. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7687473842_2436685de5_z.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	195.3 KB 
ID:	3508
    Kind of makes you wonder why a relocated Stage Center is out of the question.

Either this demo application was a really stupid idea or....

this is the smartest PR stunt ever.

What better way to get people interested again in the Gold Dome and its issues than to threaten to tear it down?

I doubt Box ever thought that permit would be approved (considering the history and UDC requirements) but the simple action of filing it makes me think this might have been the smartest thing ever. Lol

Thread Information