Widgets Magazine
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Gold Dome

Default Re: Gold Dome

Glad it will soon be out of the hands of David Box.

Russell also said he has no plans to demolish and wants to renovate. Hope it all works out. I used to ride along with my dad when he banked at Citizens in the mid-60's.

Blog Entries

is he going to leave the paint or try to restore it or?

Well there we go, that sounds like a great development in this story.

Interestingly, Russell paid the exact same amount -- $1.1 million -- as did Box when he bought it a couple of years ago.

7. Default Re: Gold Dome

I would much rather Land Run focus on developing their land at 4th and Gaylord than worry about restoring the Gold Dome.

8. Default Re: Gold Dome

I'm hopeful that they consider developing outlying parcels along 22nd and along Western to find additional revenue streams rather than depend on the dome to cover all expenses. There is an incredible excess of parking on the site, and building out to both of those streets would solve some connectivity issues for Gatewood and Mesta/HH.

9. Default Re: Gold Dome

Quote Originally Posted by AP View Post
    I would much rather Land Run focus on developing their land at 4th and Gaylord than worry about restoring the Gold Dome.
    Rumor has it, they're about to close on the 5th & broadway garage. So there's the parking secured.

On the current topic:
    In my opinion, the big discussion to be had here is what to do with the massive bank lobby with the cool ceiling. I think it would lend itself to a bullpen style office setup with systems furniture. Retail around the outside. I agree that something should replace the funky, yet, almost un-usable drive through. The parking though, if this thing gets filled up with a good tenant mix. Will be needed. The only thing that brought any traffic through that lot in 20 years was Prohibition room, so it's hard to get a feel for how many spots are needed.

For example at the rise: (if all our employees were theoretically parking at the rise) I have 15 people on a shift, Gusto has 30, and Drake has 40 - that's half the rise parking gone before a guest or client even pull up.

You don't normally think about the influx of jobs that these urban redevelopment projects bring, but retail is especially helpful in producing low income accessible jobs that really do bring up an area like this. They have also brought an influx of some better-paying jobs, too. The impact of that on an area like Paseo/Jefferson Park/Uptown or Classen Ten Penn can not be understated.

Quote Originally Posted by IanMcDermid View Post
    Rumor has it, they're about to close on the 5th & broadway garage. So there's the parking secured.

On the current topic:
    In my opinion, the big discussion to be had here is what to do with the massive bank lobby with the cool ceiling. I think it would lend itself to a bullpen style office setup with systems furniture. Retail around the outside. I agree that something should replace the funky, yet, almost un-usable drive through. The parking though, if this thing gets filled up with a good tenant mix. Will be needed. The only thing that brought any traffic through that lot in 20 years was Prohibition room, so it's hard to get a feel for how many spots are needed.

For example at the rise: (if all our employees were theoretically parking at the rise) I have 15 people on a shift, Gusto has 30, and Drake has 40 - that's half the rise parking gone before a guest or client even pull up.
    At some point in these districts, parking on the nearby streets becomes a real thing. And businesses, if they want to keep their parking lot open, need to incentivize their employees to not drive to work.

Land Run has put up their sign and covered up the Teemco name (thanks to pahdz for the photo):

New owner of Gold Dome considering turning building into grocery store | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com

This is an interesting idea. I really hope it comes to fruition as I think it would be a great use of the building.

Hard to imagine how any of the interior could be preserved for a grocery store, and the interior is just important as the exterior.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hard to imagine how any of the interior could be preserved for a grocery store, and the interior is just important as the exterior.
    Yeah it would probably have to be gutted.

A themed restaurant or bar like the Prohibition Room used to be would probably be the best choice for preserving the interior as well as having it open to the public. I do like the idea of a grocery store though, especially since I will soon be living in that area and don't like the Wal-Mart or Buy for Less at 23rd and Penn.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    New owner of Gold Dome considering turning building into grocery store | Oklahoma City - OKC - KOCO.com

This is an interesting idea. I really hope it comes to fruition as I think it would be a great use of the building.
    What would Land Run gain by making a soft announcement six months ahead of a real announcement? Scare off others looking to bring a grocer to the area? Build buzz for what the second concept could be Just let it slip?

I agree. But I don't think Russell does.

He said there has been national and local interest from grocers already. He’s not sure how much of the inside will stay intact. The building has the original bank teller stands and a large vault with heavy doors. Russell said it would be up to the renter to decide what will stay or go, but the outside will remain unchanged.“It’s critically important to this community that this be maintained,” he said.
    He has a second plan on the shelf if the grocery store idea doesn’t work, but he’s optimistic it will. He will announce who’s moving in in the spring of next year.

Is the Gold Dome even large enough for a full line of groceries?

I think it might work for a Sprouts or something like a Natural Grocers which aren't quite a large as a full-line supermarket.

At under 18,000 square feet on the ground floor, it's not big enough for any type of grocery, apart from maybe a Trader Joe's.

For comparison, the new Sprouts at 122nd and MacArthur is 30,000 SF.

I'm going to catch hell for this, but the Gold Dome could be an AMAZING club.

At under 18,000 square feet on the ground floor, it's not big enough for any type of grocery, apart from maybe a Trader Joe's.

For comparison, the new Sprouts at 122nd and MacArthur is 30,000 SF.
    True. The only way it would be remotely feasible would be to build a complete second floor inside the dome. Some groceries are on two floors. I doubt that would be worthwhile though. Otherwise it would basically be a convenience store.

How big is the homeland at 18th and classen? Does land run own other adjacent property?

Blog Entries

With Homeland (granted NOT what we'd prefer), Super Cao, and the Braum's fresh market (the places I shopped when I lived in the Classen, at least for small to medium trips) I'm not sure I see this as the best, highest use for this property (Gold Dome becoming a grocery). If you want to dominate the grocery market in this area, buy the land north of Homeland (where the little strip mall with the barber and locksmith are), build an uptown grocery or similar and run the Homeland out of business. In other words because of the usable space/form factor limitations, while I applaud the thought, I feel like they might be setting themselves up for another failure at the Gold Dome. With as many of those as we've had, I kinda feel like we need a homerun here.

All of that said I'll joyfully eat my words should they press forward with a grocery and do well. I just want the best for our Gold Dome.

What if instead of a grocery store there was more of a "public market" establishment? Small eateries and booths for meat/produce/cheese in an enclosed open space.

A few examples from other cities...

Milwaukee Public Market - Fresh Food. Local Vendors.
    West Side Market in Cleveland
    Home - Reading Terminal Market
    Oxbow Public Market

25. Default Re: Gold Dome

Oh man I would love that. Apparently a concept like that will be going to Chisolm Creek, of all places.

Thread Information