Widgets Magazine

Thread: Alberto's Burrito Paradise

Classen Alberto's Burrito Paradise

Noticed that the old Hot Dog Park on like NW 28th and Classen is becoming Alberto's Burrito Paradise with an Opening Soon banner up.

Default Re: Alberto's Burrito Paradise

I suppose we can only hope it is true . . . =)
    (apparently not many folkentrepraneaurs are familiar with Abraham Maslow's Pyramid Theory and try to skip the intermediate steps to self actualization . . .)

Let me guess . . . Pillsbury Dough around . . . whatever . . . with custom prepared dipping sauces . . . well plated. (rice and beans)

I hope that I am wrong and that Albertos succeeds where others have failed.
    (although, somehow, using the term "Paradise" approaches . . . overstating the reality. or sumpin')

I sure hope the execution is much better than Hot Dog Park's. Really hope it's different ownership!

Did "Hot Dog Park's" former location used to be over there north of 23rd around Shartel or whatever? I know that I was impressed--several years ago, simply driving south on a sidestreet (impressed to the point of being nearly worthy of a camera shot for "Roadside America"--by some sort of other vehicle perched on a pole]) so . . . did they try to move up in the world by moving their operation to Classen?

Alas . . . I suppose that when it comes to hot dogs, one will have to be satisfied with a selection from a grocery store . . . =)

(BallPark Angus and Braum's Beef Franks don't have too much grease. Anything from Johnsonville is better than either of those.)

It was owned by the same guy that owned Greatful Bean. It's one and only location was between 31st and 32nd on N. Classen. I didn't care for them because a 1-3/4 oz. side dish from a can was $1.50 and the buns were usually stale. Inside the place looked like a 1970's state aid office waiting room.

I wonder if they are leaving the jeep up on that pole?

I went there this morning for breakfast. I was the only customer the entire time I was there. I ordered the Sausage Egg and Cheese Burrito. It was pretty good, not great and the cost was $4.99. It is a fast-casual type of place. It took a while for food to come out so it appears to be made-to-order. The burrito was ok. The tortilla had not been steamed or anything and was fairly stiff and tasted like a store-bought mass-produced style. The size was a little small for $5 I'd say, comparing it to Big Truck Tacos.

The menu is pretty much fast food tex-mex with breakfast served all day. It would appear chips and salsa cost extra ($3+). I did not ask if they were provided free with the lunch menu where it looked like the burritos ranged from $6-$7. So really ordering a burrito, chips and salsa and a drink you are spending $11-$12 I'd think which is probably too high for a "fast casual" tex-mex place. I dont know, I'll give it a shot again for lunch soon.

I have high hopes for this place. Looking for anything resembling a California burrito.

Just curious as to why you have high hopes for this place? It's run by the same operators as the previous restaurants, which were all dismal in concept, quality and execution including promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by metro View Post
    Just curious as to why you have high hopes for this place? It's run by the same operators as the previous restaurants, which were all dismal in concept, quality and execution including promotion.
    Sorry, I had no idea who the ownership was / is, just wishful thinking on my part that we would get a good burrito joint.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    Sorry, I had no idea who the ownership was / is, just wishful thinking on my part that we would get a good burrito joint.
    For the price point I expected "fresh" or homemade tortillas. Being a locally owned joint they really need to set the bar higher than the chain fast-casual burrito places however it appears that has not been done, therefore this place will likely fail quick. Just my prediction. They are making the "filling" made to order, why not make some killer homemade tortillas while they are at it?

12. Default Re: Alberto's Burrito Paradise

Went today. It was alright. just not good. Not authentic in the sense of southside taco shops. Not price competitive with MUCH better options. From the north end there's; Hugo's, los comales, or if you're further south, tacos san pedros and SOOO many options on 29th street.

As it stands right now there's no acceptable taqueria south of 23rd at Hugo's.

My final thought is it has potential because of the very tasty meats and peppers, but the cold tortillas, use of iceberg, bland sauces, and over use of beans and rice hampers the taste.

Blog Entries

I haven't been by this structure myself recently, but my daughter comes to me with an invite to private party at a place with the address of 3214 N Classen, which is this place. She says it's called Terra Bistro now. Huh...

14. Default Re: Alberto's Burrito Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I haven't been by this structure myself recently, but my daughter comes to me with an invite to private party at a place with the address of 3214 N Classen, which is this place. She says it's called Terra Bistro now. Huh...
    She is correct.

Thread Information