Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 405 Area Code Becoming Exhausted

Default Re: 405 Area Code Becoming Exhausted

I'm really surprised it took this long.

Of course, for two and a half decades I lived in a place with scores of area codes. I never lived and worked in the same area code in those 25 years.

Makes me want to go watch the Simpsons episode where they split the down with two different area codes... lol. classic

The overlay plan does sound like the best approach, or at least the approach with the least amount of disruption for current numbers. The article didn't exactly say this, but I assume the new 539 code is also using a similar overlay?

4. Default Re: 405 Area Code Becoming Exhausted

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    The overlay plan does sound like the best approach, or at least the approach with the least amount of disruption for current numbers. The article didn't exactly say this, but I assume the new 539 code is also using a similar overlay?
    Yes. 539 covers the same area that 918 covers, so 10-digit dialing is mandatory in that area.

Many years ago, I found a website that listed all possible area codes with their status. That site had 539, 572, and 578 as "reserved for future use in Oklahoma". Since 539 obviously worked out, it would appear that either 572 or 578 will be the overlay code for 405.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm really surprised it took this long.

Of course, for two and a half decades I lived in a place with scores of area codes. I never lived and worked in the same area code in those 25 years.
    I suspect it took so long because residential landline use has plummeted.

Quote Originally Posted by BB37 View Post
    Yes, but the cel phone explosion still needs an area code.

Anyone know how 918 got exhausted before 405?

Quote Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
    405 had better hydration and training techniques

9. Default Re: 405 Area Code Becoming Exhausted

Ive been through this process twice. Its really pretty easy except for the elderly. When l came back to OKC and DIDN'T have to enter an area code was the weird part.

Some one said that land lines are plummeting. Humm, I was thinking about dropping my cell phone and just keeping my home phone. Any pay phones around for people who don't have cell phones? Also are there people without home phones and cell phones? We did not have a phone when I was in high school.

It looks like area code 578 is already taken in New York.

Edit: I guess according to this web site, I was wrong...
    https://npnr.org/578/

Quote Originally Posted by Lafferty Daniel View Post
    According to the article, it didn't, they just used a different solution then:

More than a decade ago, the 405 again reached the point of exhaustion. Rather than using the overlay plan, officials implemented a 580 area code for those living outside the Oklahoma City metro area, he said. That impacted customers in areas like Woodward and Broken Bow.

Then a few years ago, the state exhausted its 918 area code, which serves parts of eastern Oklahoma and Tulsa.
    They're really not even area codes anymore, since so many people keep their number, including the "area code" when they move.

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    Some one said that land lines are plummeting. Humm, I was thinking about dropping my cell phone and just keeping my home phone. Any pay phones around for people who don't have cell phones? Also are there people without home phones and cell phones? We did not have a phone when I was in high school.
    I don't have a land-line. I don't see the point to pay for two things. It must be great to have a career that doesn't involve needing a cell phone. I miss those days. lol

Quote Originally Posted by BB37 View Post
    Hasn't this then freed up those landline numbers?

Blog Entries

Current area codes

Oklahoma is currently using four area codes. Oklahoma has had two area code splits and is utilizing one area code overlay. This new area code overlay was implemented on April 1, 2011 at which time area code 539 was put into service to provide numbering relief in area code 918.

Area code 405 originally covered all of Oklahoma when it was established in 1947. It was not until 1953 that Oklahoma experienced sufficient growth in population and telephone use to need an additional area code. It was at that time that area code 405 was split to form area code 918. In 1997 area code 405 was split again to form area code 580.

Today area code 405 covers central Oklahoma including Oklahoma City. Area codes 918 and 539 covers northeastern Oklahoma including Tulsa and area code 580 covers the southern and western portions of Oklahoma.--AreaCodeHelp.com

Quote Originally Posted by oklip955 View Post
    If you get rid of your cellphone hoping for payphones in 2019 you are going to have a bad time.

The Oklahoma Corporation Commission has this page about it... http://occeweb.com/PU/Telco_nonOUSF/...405Exhaust.htm
    Their schedule is shown below. I wonder how long it will take for the new number to be released.

Procedural Schedule

Date Action
    September 25, 2019 Deadline for PUD to accomplish publication of notice of this Cause
    October 2, 2019 Technical Advisory Group ("TAG") Meeting at 1:30 p.m. in Courtroom 301 of the Jim Thorpe Building
    October 17, 2019 Direct Testimony to be filed
    October 21, 2019 Statement of Position to be filed
    October 31, 2019 Rebuttal Testimony to be filed, if any
    November 20, 2019 Hearing on the Merits at 1:30 p.m. in Courtroom B
    December 3, 2019 Proposed Findings of Fact & Conclusions of Law filed
    January 7, 2020 Proposed ALJ Report due

Corporation Commission meeting tomorrow addresses 405 Area Code exhaust plan

The Oklahoma Corporation Commission may vote tomorrow (January 8) on a proposal to add an additional area code to the geographic area currently served by 405. The OCC meeting is scheduled for 9:30 a.m., Room 301 in the Jim Thorpe State Office Building, 2101 North Lincoln Blvd., Oklahoma City.

According to the North American Numbering Plan Administrator (NANPA), the 405 area code is on track to run out of telephone numbers by December of 2021. The addition of a new area code would allow for new telephone numbers without a change in existing numbers. Called an “overlay,” the proposal would also require 10 digit dialing for local calls. The area served by the 918 area code (including Tulsa) had an overlay in 2011 (the addition of the 539 code), and has been 10 digit dialing ever since.

NANPA has not yet announced what the new area code would be. The overlay would take effect in the fourth quarter of 2021
    - https://www.edmondsun.com/news/corpo...54ac5aab2.html

Corporate Commission Meeting Link: http://occ.ucanytime.com/scopia/mt/o....jsp?page=play

Schedule:

Estimated schedule for implantation:

January 2020 – Announcement of new area code
    July 2020 – Begin “permissive” 10 digit dialing. (System will accept either 10 digits or 7 digits for local calls). New area code will become available.
    January 2021- Mandatory 10 digital dialing begins.
    December 2021 – Projected exhaust of 405 area code telephone numbers.
    - https://kfor.com/2020/01/08/occ-appr...-exhaust-plan/

https://www.tulsaworld.com/business/...1f56da563.html

For small companies its a decent cost outlay to change all promotional material. With more done online that hells reduce cost but still a lot for some.

Also, will Street Outlaws get to keep 405?

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    For small companies its a decent cost outlay to change all promotional material. With more done online that hells reduce cost but still a lot for some.

Also, will Street Outlaws get to keep 405?
    no one has to change their number this is an overlay

The only sticking point I really see will be for people and businesses with some sort of investment in promotional material that only uses the local seven digits. The rest is human usage pattern changes, and even that is muted a bit by the modern cell phone dominance. I haven't made a phone call using seven digits in something over a decade.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    no one has to change their number this is an overlay
    Ok thanks for clarifying. Thats good news

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Ive been through this process twice. Its really pretty easy except for the elderly. When l came back to OKC and DIDN'T have to enter an area code was the weird part.
    That weird part will go away. Soon the area code must be entered for every number. That will provide relief for everybody wondering if they have to dial the area code first.

25. Default Re: 405 Area Code Becoming Exhausted

I read on Twitter that the new are code will be 572.

Thread Information