Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Dallas

Default Re: Dear Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    I couldn't help but notice all of your 'favorites' are in the US. I can't think of a single city in the US that makes my top 50. If I had to pick a favorite US city it would probably be Philadelphia. Dallas doesn't make my top 10,000.
    Out of curiosity, what are your favorite cities?

If you landed the lunar module on the moon but didn't get it out, would you tell people you went to the moon? I would.
    Yeah, esp. if I'm $200,000 a pound to get me there. lol ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Out of curiosity, what are your favorite cities?
    That I have actually been to?

Here is a list based on my experiences.

Cities:
    1) London
    2) Montreal
    3) Philadelphia
    4) Chattanooga
    5) Charleston
    6) Savannah
    7) NYC
    8) Seattle
    9) Reno
    10) Salt Lake City

Small towns:
    1) St. Augustine, FL
    2) Key West, FL
    3) Fernandina Beach, FL
    4) Gatlinburg, TN
    5) Chico, CA
    6) East Grinstead, UK

I was in Fernandina yesterday and as we 'speak' I finishing off the last of the fudge I bought at Fantastic Fudge. This stuff is off the chart good.

Never been to London, but I want to go. It sounds really nice. I just did a little research about Chattanooga, and that place looks awesome! I'm pretty interested in visiting there now. I've heard Savannah is really nice and I've the exact opposite about Reno(assuming you're talking about Nevada). The only other cities I've been to on your list is NYC and Key West. I might have passed through St. Augustine. Nice list though.

p.s. I looooooove fudge so when I go to Savannah or Jacksonville I'll definitely take drive down there. The pictures from there look like you could actually make a special trip and stay there for about a week. Very nice little town.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Chicago is one of my favorite cities. Love it, love it, love it.
    Pizzeria Uno alone should put it near the top of many folks list.

Never been to London, but I want to go. It sounds really nice. I just did a little research about Chattanooga, and that place looks awesome! I'm pretty interested in visiting there now. I've heard Savannah is really nice and I've the exact opposite about Reno(assuming you're talking about Nevada). The only other cities I've been to on your list is NYC and Key West. I might have passed through St. Augustine. Nice list though.

p.s. I looooooove fudge so when I go to Savannah or Jacksonville I'll definitely take drive down there. The pictures from there look like you could actually make a special trip and stay there for about a week. Very nice little town.
    If you make it down this way let me know - I'll give you the grand tour (bring walking shoes).

I agree with the sentiment of Dallas can be a nice place to visit, but the traffic all over the Metroplex is just too much for my liking. The only major city I've been too that I could see myself living, or around for that matter is Denver. Chicago, NYC, and San Diego are all nice places to visit, but I can't imagine living there.

I can handled the Dallas traffic but I sure would sure hate to deal with it every day.
    There are tons of interstate rebuilding in various stages of reconstruction in the DFW area.
    Houston and Austin traffic is probably worse. The smaller Texas City’s generally have a very good network of wide streets and roads with good interstates expressways that are almost always very well maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by progressiveboy View Post
    I agree about the traffic in Dallas. Horrible to say the least. It is not going to get better either. The drivers in Dallas can be a little edgy and agressive. Dallas wants to continue to grow and grow with urban sprawl. They are very agressive at landing major corporate relocations and good paying jobs. Two weeks ago it was announced that Amazon would locate a large office and distribution center. Dallas wealth is quite phenomenal with lots of wealthy people with high disposable incomes. The upscale restaurants and shops are always busy as "many" Dallasites love to dine well and shop in high affluent shops. The new Perot Science Museum and the Winspear Opera House showcases Dallas as a very forward thinking, cosmopolitan city.
    When I said that there were very good people doing very good things in the DFW area the Winspear family came to mind. Many years ago I met some of them. There was a Winspear presents at my wedding representing my wife’s side of the family. I lost track of what they were doing after the connection got a divorce but the older folks were very nice and generous people. I wish the OKC area had more people with that same type of civic generosity.

If you make it down this way let me know - I'll give you the grand tour (bring walking shoes).
    Yeah, definitely. I walk alooooooot lol.... I have plenty of walking shoes.

I couldn't help but notice all of your 'favorites' are in the US. I can't think of a single city in the US that makes my top 50. If I had to pick a favorite US city it would probably be Philadelphia. Dallas doesn't make my top 10,000.
    Some of us haven't been to the thousands of other great cities in the world to make a well qualified judgment as to where to rate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunty View Post
    Some of us haven't been to the thousands of other great cities in the world to make a well qualified judgment as to where to rate them.
    I get that, when I started reading his list I thought he was just picking based on what he knew of the cities, not spcifically the ones he had been to. I think Paris is a great city and I am sure I would love it there - but I've never been there myself.

Of course, there is a fine line between a great city and a city with great areas which is why Chicago didn't make my list. Downtown (and surrounding areas are very walkable) but suburban Chicago sucks. I would never live in Tampa again but the Hyde Park, Bayshore, and Channel Side/Harbor Island areas are off the chart awesome.

I get that, when I started reading his list I thought he was just picking based on what he knew of the cities, not spcifically the ones he had been to. I think Paris is a great city and I am sure I would love it there - but I've never been there myself.

Of course, there is a fine line between a great city and a city with great areas which is why Chicago didn't make my list. Downtown (and surrounding areas are very walkable) but suburban Chicago sucks. I would never live in Tampa again but the Hyde Park, Bayshore, and Channel Side/Harbor Island areas are off the chart awesome.
    Have you seen suburban Paris? If it sucks would that negate your opinion just like Chicago?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    Have you seen suburban Paris? If it sucks would that negate your opinion just like Chicago?
    Do you have a section of suburban Paris you can direct me to because from what I can see even suburban Paris is pretty darn walkable.

Do you have a secton of suburban Paris you can direct me to because from what I can see even suburban Paris is pretty darn walkable.
    No . . . sorry . . . i've never been to paris . . .("but i've been to Oklahoma" c/o Hoyt Axton plus a lotta years)

Yet . . . Dealy Plaza--in dallas--is amazingly pedestrian and bicycle friendly. Especially when encountered unexpectedly and unintentionally with a sense of deja vu.
    And in real life, it looks much smaller than in all the videos and pictures and whatknots . . . might lead one to believe.
    (oops . . . sorry . . . i thought this was a conversation about dear dallas as compared to Paris (or jacksonville/atlanta/orlando) . . . my bad . . . =)

the commerce street, 3-D, real life walk prior to the OU/Texas Game on the cusp of the State Fair ain't no slouch either.
    especially with all of the cops in texas providing a thin, multi-colored line protecting the public from jay-walking and having uncontrolled fun.
    (OU lost that year . . . and the texas fans didn't gloat. it was like a miracle, right under that big statue they us'ta have at the fairgrounds adjacent to the Cotton Bowl Museum)

sorry . . . i didn't intend to say something positive about dallas . . . ok?

(perhaps visiting the tunnels in paris might not be such a good idea? whether in an enclosed vehicle or other alternative? just a thought . . .? why . . . there might even be Phantoms of Oprahs lurkin' about . . . aboot: Canadian Spellin')

16. Default Re: Dear Dallas

That I have actually been to?

Here is a list based on my experiences.

Cities:
    1) London
    2) Montreal
    3) Philadelphia
    4) Chattanooga
    5) Charleston
    6) Savannah
    7) NYC
    8) Seattle
    9) Reno
    10) Salt Lake City

Small towns:
    1) St. Augustine, FL
    2) Key West, FL
    3) Fernandina Beach, FL
    4) Gatlinburg, TN
    5) Chico, CA
    6) East Grinstead, UK

I was in Fernandina yesterday and as we 'speak' I finishing off the last of the fudge I bought at Fantastic Fudge. This stuff is off the chart good.

Montreal is SUCH an underrated city. Well worth a visit for that European experience if you can't spare the money or time to go across the pond to France. Highly recommend it!

(oops . . . almost forgot)

Dear Dallas:
    I know that you love.
    I hope that you know you do.
    Please be kind and don't steal our water.
    thx.
    OKC

eta (edited to add): Thank you Celebrator!
    (pps: what was the carbon footprint tax on that visit?)
    (have you considered . . . Dallas?? (torea) =)

Do you have a section of suburban Paris you can direct me to because from what I can see even suburban Paris is pretty darn walkable.
    No, I've been to Paris several times and never spent time in the suburbs. It was a hypothetical question. I have, however, spent time in the suburbs of London when visiting my cousin who lived there and it was not much different than the suburbs of US cities. Would you downgrade London because of some suburbs that weren't walkable?

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Chicago is my favorite US city
    You just like it cause your daughter lives there

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Yet . . . Dealy Plaza--in dallas--is amazingly pedestrian and bicycle friendly. Especially when encountered unexpectedly and unintentionally with a sense of deja vu. And in real life, it looks much smaller than in all the videos and pictures and whatknots . . . might lead one to believe.
    (oops . . . sorry . . . i thought this was a conversation about dear dallas as compared to Paris (or jacksonville/atlanta/orlando) . . . my bad . . . =)
    Screenshot at Feb 18 17-46-30.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: gif qm.gif (43 Bytes, 132 views)

Never been to London, but I want to go. It sounds really nice.
    I posted this several years ago. This is a 20 megapixel photo of London. Very very cool.

London World Record Panoramic Photo: See Big Ben, London Eye, Tower Bridge, and more than you can imagine.

Fort Worth > Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonk View Post
    For me, Dallas exemplifies the phrase, "nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there", much like a few other cities like NYC , Chicago and Los Angeles.
    Lived in Dallas for two years, then moved back to OKC for ten. I had a chance to move back to Dallas (from Austin) in 2004, a couple of weeks of working there I decided that I had no desire to move back to Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    Lived in Dallas for two years, then moved back to OKC for ten. I had a chance to move back to Dallas (from Austin) in 2004, a couple of weeks of working there I decided that I had no desire to move back to Dallas.
    I am starting to grow weary of Dallas myself. The traffic is horrendous and lots of road rage. Lots to do here, however if I decide to stay in Texas, I would definitely choose Austin or Galveston. Galveston has so much history and I happen to love all the Victorian architecture. They just completed "Pleasure Pier" on the Sea Wall with replaced boardwalk and rollercoasters and rides. The Moody Gardens are beautiful. I really like Austin because it's much more diverse than Dallas with a highly educated workforce. The economy is still doing quite well in Austin!

No love for Barcelona, Madrid, Paris? Here's how I would rank the cities I've visited or lived in:

1. NYC -- The greatest city in the world (that I've been to / lived in)
    2. Paris (this could easily be my first choice)
    3. Barcelona
    4. Amsterdam
    5. Jerusalem
    6. Prague
    7. Madrid
    8. Berlin
    9. San Francisco
    10. Athens

Note: No London or Asian cities here; haven't been to either....yet. Hoping to change that in the near future.

Thread Information