Widgets Magazine

Thread: looking for CNG conversions

Default looking for CNG conversions

Anyone know the cost of conversions? I'm looking at converting a 72 chevelle 350 also looking at buying another cng vehicle. Was looking at the ford site at there f250 but they don't come with tanks I'm not spending 40k on a truck and have to buy a $4000 tank on top of it.

Default Re: looking for CNG conversions

I had a conversion done on my 2003 Lexus GX 470. Dropped the spare that had never been used and put 2 steel tanks in that place. My capacity is about 6.3 gge and the tanks are nominal 8.5. My cost was about $8K I think. Mileage is about same as on gasoline. I am happy with the vehicle, too, so it works well for me. My favorite CNG station is the Moore 7-11 where the cost is $.799. That makes my cost of fuel average about $.055 per mile. Little problem with heavy acceleration getting on Interstate and sometimes a lag when it switches over to CNG from gasoline but is not noticeable when you become accustomed.

The 72 chevelle has a carb right? Then you could go with a mixer kit. Alot cheaper than a sequential kit. Easier install also means less money. If your chevelle is orig. you don't have fuel injection so the mixer kit that feeds the carb is the only option. The feeded/fogger kits are not as economical as some of the other kits but they seem to work pretty good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    I had a conversion done on my 2003 Lexus GX 470.
    Where did you have this done?

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Where did you have this done?
    Bradshaw CNG Conversion (but he was in Harrah then)

Blog Entries

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 1972ford View Post
    Anyone know the cost of conversions? I'm looking at converting a 72 chevelle 350 also looking at buying another cng vehicle. Was looking at the ford site at there f250 but they don't come with tanks I'm not spending 40k on a truck and have to buy a $4000 tank on top of it.
    There is a new style of compressed natural gas storage tank that is cheaper, lighter and holds more fuel than similar tanks that you should know about. Read the link

News Ok is doing a much better job in recent months on their overall energy coverage. This is another example.

3M designs cheaper fuel tank for natural gas vehicles in Chesapeake collaboration | News OK

CNG Interstate in Edmond does a fantastic job.
    Ask for Craig. Great guy.

What's a retrofit run on something like a 2000s model pick up with a v-8 starting to look into buying a truck to retrofit I can't get to my new job without a truck

You may not need a new vehicle to switch to cng tank. There are two types of CNG fuel systems available- Dedicated vehicles and Bi-fuel vehicles

Thread Information