Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Highway 69/75 working to become interstate

Default Highway 69/75 working to become interstate

Durant Daily Democrat - TEX 21 discusses the future of Highway 69 75

Texoma towns discuss turning Hwy 75/69 into an interstate

Task force working to make U.S. Highway 75 an Interstate | Herald Democrat

69/75 runs right through my hometown of Durant, so it'll be interesting to see what comes of this. Most of the highway is already interstate status from downtown Dallas to the Oklahoma border. Not so much in Oklahoma, though. It'll take a TON of work to get the highway to interstate status because 69/75 runs through towns at-grade, with stoplights and such.

Default Re: Highway 69/75 working to become interstate

This sounds very much like the evolution of US-78 between Memphis, TN and Birmingham, AL.

Many years ago (a decade+?) there was a recognition of the absence of an Interstate-quality route from the central US to the SE. Subsequently, a project referred to as the "Appalachian Corridor" was started, centering on how the existing US-78 could be migrated to Interstate quality. That project became the groundwork for what's called "Future I-22," which is what US-78 is being referred to as it is being rebuilt into a full interstate highway between those two points. The part linking I-22/US-78 into Birmingham is slated for completion next year. Not sure if the west end is literally slated for interconnection into the metro Memphis-area Interstate, but it would sure seem a logical next-step. Having driven the route a few times times (years apart) in the last 10 years, its been amazing to watch the overhaul!

The great part about it is that I-22 is that the completed portions include some of the nicest highway I've driven, and it looks like they're really trying to make this a premiere stretch of interstate, not just some road slapped down between two mile markers. Here's hoping this OK stretch gets a similar treatment!

Anyway, all that minutiae is to say that it sounds like the same kind of attention is being brought to bear on this stretch of road. Could be a great project for that highway and a real boon to that part of the state!

Yep. Highway 71 between Joplin & Kansas City was recently (as of December) designated I-49, which will eventually run its course all the way down to Louisiana where it is currently I-49. I'd say it took 4 years or so to get rid of all the 4 way crossings and build new bridges over the interstate for gaining various access roads and for interchanges as well. Interesting thing about Missouri interstates is that there's marker every .2 miles. Sounds like a waste of money to me.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Interesting thing about Missouri interstates is that there's marker every .2 miles. Sounds like a waste of money to me.
    Last fall, I drove through part of Missouri for the first time in probably 30 years, and noticed those .2 mi increment mile markers. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why you'd have those so close! LOL Unless the highway folks just had a nice contract with someone for 5x the average density of milemarkers

Wow, this is awesome. Hope they make this really nice.

Would be great for the SE part of the state, although I think a lot of those small towns would balk at the, ahem, lost "law enforcement revenue." I could definitely see the I-45 numbering along what is now US75 through Dallas, Collin, and Grayson counties, TX, then into Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Would be great for the SE part of the state, although I think a lot of those small towns would balk at the, ahem, lost "law enforcement revenue." I could definitely see the I-45 numbering along what is now US75 through Dallas, Collin, and Grayson counties, TX, then into Oklahoma.
    The upgrade to interstate-quality would be such a tremendous boon for safety. Those few times I've driven that exact stretch I mentioned above from I-240 in Memphis to the first interstate-quality portion of US-78/I-22 takes you right through a very industrial, very busy, very stoplight-laden stretch of road, with a lot of big transport trucks and freight vehicles. Getting and keeping everyone at highway speeds will be great.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Last fall, I drove through part of Missouri for the first time in probably 30 years, and noticed those .2 mi increment mile markers. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why you'd have those so close! LOL Unless the highway folks just had a nice contract with someone for 5x the average density of milemarkers
    Its for roadside emergencies. If you break down in the middle of nowhere, would you remember what mile marker you passed last?

The upgrade to interstate-quality would be such a tremendous boon for safety. Those few times I've driven that exact stretch I mentioned above from I-240 in Memphis to the first interstate-quality portion of US-78/I-22 takes you right through a very industrial, very busy, very stoplight-laden stretch of road, with a lot of big transport trucks and freight vehicles. Getting and keeping everyone at highway speeds will be great.
    the north connection of I22 will be I269 (the new beltway for memphis and northern memphis)

Would this be a toll road?

these things usually take years to come to fruition though...they've been trying to make US-59 into I-69 for years I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Would this be a toll road?
    Hopefully not.

13. Default Re: Highway 69/75 working to become interstate

Michigan and Ohio have them every .2 miles as well. They rolled them out probably 15 years ago and can definitely come in handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Hopefully not.
    Why would you say that? This is a relatively low population area...shouldn't people who are using it pay tolls to keep it updated?

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Why would you say that? This is a relatively low population area...shouldn't people who are using it pay tolls to keep it updated?
    ODOT can keep them funded through the taxes people already pay. Interstates do NOT need to be tolled. If this highway were to have a 90MPH speed limit, then I will definitely warm up to the idea of it being tolled. I don't mind seeing some intercity highways being tolled either, but not interstates.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Michigan and Ohio have them every .2 miles as well. They rolled them out probably 15 years ago and can definitely come in handy.

People using the Turner Turnpike will be paying for the up keep, not anybody down there.

ODOT can keep them funded through the taxes people already pay. Interstates do NOT need to be tolled. If this highway were to have a 90MPH speed limit, then I will definitely warm up to the idea of it being tolled. I don't mind seeing some intercity highways being tolled either, but not interstates.
    They can barely afford what we have. That's why major construction projects are dragged out over 7 years. They don't have enough money in the budget to do quick construction. Now add more interstate with no revenue increase?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    They can barely afford what we have. That's why major construction projects are dragged out over 7 years. They don't have enough money in the budget to do quick construction. Now add more interstate with no revenue increase?
    Actually, the new interstate would cause a revenue decrease. Cars would get better gas mileage without having to stop at lights and it could save someone a 100 miles on the drive. More to maintain with less money to maintain it is not the way we need to be going.

Quote Originally Posted by sidburgess View Post
    Can you cite your source?
    are you suggesting people don't pay taxes that go to roads and highways?

Actually, the new interstate would cause a revenue decrease. Cars would get better gas mileage without having to stop at lights and it could save someone a 100 miles on the drive.
    yeah, let's force people to use more gas and lengthen their commute time, brilliant!

I'm not forcing people to drive anywhere. I am on the side of transportation choice.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    major construction projects are dragged out because ODOT can't borrow money for road construction. The revenue will increase as the local economy there strengthens from having an interstate going through it. Nearly Every major city has an interstate either running through it or right next to it.

I'm not forcing people to drive anywhere. I am on the side of transportation choice.
    I am too, but we are talking about a rural community. What other transportation choices do they want?

How to kill a small town:

Step 1) Put an interstate through it
    Step 2) done

How to kill a small town:

Step 1) Put an interstate through it
    Step 2) done
    I'm not understanding the reasoning behind that. Many many small towns have thrived due to interstates. A bunch even abuse it and have cops tagging people for going 5mph over the speed limit, making them hundreds of thousands of dollars, for towns of 1,000 people, that is a lot.

I'm not understanding the reasoning behind that. Many many small towns have thrived due to interstates. A bunch even abuse it and have cops tagging people for going 5mph over the speed limit, making them hundreds of thousands of dollars, for towns of 1,000 people, that is a lot.
    Thrived? Name one.

Thread Information