Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Moore Public Schools Bond Package

1. Default Re: 2013 Moore Public Schools Bond Package

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    There's also a separate argument that it forces people with no kids to pay into a system from which they derive no direct benefit, but that's obviously offset by the counterargument that everyone benefits from an educated populace.
    That's the category I fall in and I don't feel like I'm getting my money's worth from the educated populace.

Default Re: 2013 Moore Public Schools Bond Package

Quote Originally Posted by bille View Post
    I can't say for the junior high but the elementary school will be located at SE34th and Sunnylane. The land hasn't been purchased yet to my understanding but dirt work began on that area (to build up the pad) probably a year ago. The initial dirt work has been done for quite some time now. My understanding is due to it being a two story school and the fact that it is in a flood zone a lot of build up was necessary. I can't speak for sure as I have no knowledge in that field, all I know is they added A LOT of dirt and built the majority of that corner up several feet. If you've driven by that corner you can't miss it.
    I actually live on the West side of Will Rogers, so I'm almost never on that side of town. I know the other elementary is going to be off of Portland (will be the closest school to me), and the Junior High off of Penn (which will also be the closest Junior High), but I was actually curious about the land for future schools that was referenced.

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I actually live on the West side of Will Rogers, so I'm almost never on that side of town. I know the other elementary is going to be off of Portland (will be the closest school to me), and the Junior High off of Penn (which will also be the closest Junior High), but I was actually curious about the land for future schools that was referenced.
    Don't now about the rest, but my understanding is that the land for the Portland elementary has been owned by the district for years. In fact, there used to be a sign in front of the property eons ago that said "FUTURE HOME - New Moore Elementary School." In fact, I think building that location was deferred a few years ago because of Bonds on May, but I won't swear to that.

Interesting. I wonder if they are going to start work on that school sooner rather than later then.

Anyone know any updates on these schools? I've been curious since the loss of the other 2 elementary. My neighbor is a teacher in Moore and said she was told they would continue to build the new schools, but I haven't seen any kind of dirt work off of Portland for the school.

Anyone know any updates on these schools? I've been curious since the loss of the other 2 elementary. My neighbor is a teacher in Moore and said she was told they would continue to build the new schools, but I haven't seen any kind of dirt work off of Portland for the school.
    Dirt work is underway at SW 164th and Penn for the new Jr. High.

A growing community, loss of two elementary schools ... I do not envy their school board the headaches they face.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    Dirt work is underway at SW 164th and Penn for the new Jr. High.
    Wow didn't realize that it was going to be so far south. The elementary is going to be off of Portland I know, but is it between 119th and 134th? or further south?

Quote Originally Posted by kevinpate View Post
    A growing community, loss of two elementary schools ... I do not envy their school board the headaches they face.
    Just curious...would they not have insurance on those schools?

No doubt its going to be a pain in the short term

Wow didn't realize that it was going to be so far south. The elementary is going to be off of Portland I know, but is it between 119th and 134th? or further south?
    I believe you are correct. Brad Fernberg, asst Supt, gave a presentation to our faculty back before the bond election, and I seem to recall that is what he said.

The middle school will be built at 14141 S. Pennsylvania...it's on moore schools webpage under 2013 bond info.

The new elementary school will be at 12627 S. Portland Ave

Quote Originally Posted by mike1k View Post
    The middle school will be built at 14141 S. Pennsylvania...it's on moore schools webpage under 2013 bond info.
    You are right, it does say that. But, when this first came up, a couple of years ago, it was announced to be at 164th and Penn. There currently is a tremendous amount of dirt work and land prep going on at 164th and Penn. You could be right and I'm wrong. I don't know for sure. The location cited on the web site makes more sense, however, it is not a very large partial of land.

That dirt work going on at SW 164th and Penn is for a new Ideal Homes community.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Just curious...would they not have insurance on those schools?

No doubt its going to be a pain in the short term
    I read something in the paper that said Insurance was covering everything. It's just a lot going on. Moore was already building 3 new schools, now they have to build an additional 2, repair another and from what I've heard the admin building is going to need major repair or replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by euphjay View Post
    That dirt work going on at SW 164th and Penn is for a new Ideal Homes community.
    I stand corrected. Thank you.

I read something in the paper that said Insurance was covering everything. It's just a lot going on. Moore was already building 3 new schools, now they have to build an additional 2, repair another and from what I've heard the admin building is going to need major repair or replaced.
    Those buildings were insured. FEMA will also be involved to some degree with the rebuilding of those, after the red tape is dealt with, and it is substantial, the red tape. Moore schools have been and are still being bombarded with donations of all kinds. Financial, gifts, building basketball courts at the affected sites, on and on.

Yeah, I wasn't even lamenting any financial considerations. But when you're a growing community and needing more school space, then lose two schools, and classes are kicking back up under 100 days away, .. even assuming safely cleared sites and bringing in a passle of used modular classrooms, there are still the basics of addressing chow, indoor and outdoor play, potties and admin spaces on top of instruction space reassembled, set in place properly and powered up with HC access, and doing it many times over per site. It's a full out blitz to set up two complete schools, or shuffle folk around into every available nook and cranny at other schools.

As I said, I do not envy them this summer.

Anyone know if they are still going ahead with the new buildings in the bond issue or are they on hold?

It's bond money. They will have to spend it.

The bond issue items will likely go on as planned. The buildings damaged in the Tornado will likely be rebuilt with insurance, state and federal funds. For the time being the students will be housed at Central Junior High and a local church. The schools should be open around or about the start of the 2014-2015 school year.

I still haven't seen much on the progress of the new schools. My guess is they really haven't started on them. I understand there has been a lot going on, but I feel as though our tax money should be going where we voted for it too.

At a district-wide meeting today, it was announced that the two new schools are being postponed while both Plaza Towers and Briarwood Elementary are being rebuilt. It was felt that having four large constructions projects going on at the same time (the two rebuilds plus the two new schools) was not a smart or practical move for the district. Mind you, the monies already earmarked for the new schools in the bond issue remain so earmarked - the projects are just being delayed. The replacements for the destroyed schools are being funded through insurance proceeds.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    At a district-wide meeting today, it was announced that the two new schools are being postponed while both Plaza Towers and Briarwood Elementary are being rebuilt. It was felt that having four large constructions projects going on at the same time (the two rebuilds plus the two new schools) was not a smart or practical move for the district. Mind you, the monies already earmarked for the new schools in the bond issue remain so earmarked - the projects are just being delayed. The replacements for the destroyed schools are being funded through insurance proceeds.
    This is what I was afraid of. So now we pay higher taxes for something that is delayed. I'd like my property taxes to remain the same until they decide they'd like to start building.

This is what I was afraid of. So now we pay higher taxes for something that is delayed. I'd like my property insurance to remain the same until they decide they'd like to start building.
    You mean taxes, don't you?

Thread Information