Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 50 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - February/March 2013

1. Weather Oklahoma Weather Discussion - February/March 2013

Since we don't really have a season to go with, I'm going to start putting in much of the severe weather items back into this post. January we saw a little snow but definitely not much to write home about. Going forward looks to be a pretty up and down pattern with more chances of severe weather and some winter weather mixed in. This thread will cover us through March since February is short and shouldn't generate that much traffic. Which means it'll be 50 pages long before March.

Current Conditions
    Norman Warning Area Map Tulsa County Warning Area Map
    Tornado Warning | Tornado Watch | Severe Thunderstorm Warning | Severe Thunderstorm Watch
    Red Flag Warning | Fire Warning | Severe Weather Statement | Special Weather Statement
    Hazardous Weather Outlook | Fire Weather Watch
    Other Color Meanings: Web-Based Watch/Warning/Advisory Map Colors - NOAA's National Weather Service
    Oklahoma Mesonet Current Conditions
    Red - Air Temp, Green - Dewpoint, Barbs - Wind Speed/Direction, Gray - Gusts, Blue - Precip since Midnight
    Severe Weather Information

SPC Convection (Severe Weather) Outlooks

*Click any above graphic to view discussion.*

Day 1 Outlook Tornado Outlook Wind Outlook Hail Outlook

Day 2 Outlook Day 2 Probabilistic Outlook Day 3 Outlook Day 3 Probabilistic Outlook

Days 4 through 8 Outlook

Day 4 Day 5 Day 6 Day 7 Day 8

SPC Severe Weather Reports

Fire Weather Images

Oklahoma Mesonet Relative Humidity Image
    Enhanced Colors - Blues are higher/colder cloud tops, Reds are warmer normally clear skies.

Oklahoma Mesonet -Burn Index Image
    Image will appear blank overnight.
    Oklahoma Mesonet Consecutive Days with Less Than 0.25" of Rain Image
    Enhanced Colors - Blues are higher/colder cloud tops, Reds are warmer normally clear skies.

SPC Fire Weather Outlooks

*Click any above graphic to view discussion.*

State Radar Images
    WSR-88D Twin Lakes WSR-88D Frederick
    WSR-88D Vance AFB Experimental Test Beds or Specialized Radars
    Some experimental products may not always be live or up to date.
    Phased Array Radar (Next Generation Test Bed) CASA Radar Deployment - SW Oklahoma
    Multi-Radar Products
    Multi-Radar Hail Core Tracks (Past 120 min) Multi-Radar Maximum Expected Hail Size (MESH)
    Multi-Radar Products
    Multi-Radar Rotation Tracks (Past 120 min) Multi-Radar Azimuthal Shear Composite
    State Satellite Images

Oklahoma Mesonet Visible Satellite Image
    Image will appear blank overnight.
    Oklahoma Mesonet IR Satellite Image

Oklahoma Mesonet Water Vapor Satellite Image
    Enhanced Colors - Dark gray/black is dry air, bright white/colorized is higher moisture content/colder air.
    Snowfall Images
    24 Hour Snowfall Totals

6 Hour Snowfall Forecasts
    6 Hr 12 Hr 18 Hr 24 Hr 30 Hr 36 Hr 42 Hr 48 Hr
    References

Tutorial: HOW TO VIEW DATA IN HRRR

Step 1) Go the main page: High-Resolution Rapid Refresh (HRRR)
    Step 2) Click on 3km HRRR-CONUS hourly
    Step 3) Under Domain select SC for South Central US
    Step 4) Look at the time frames available. Usually if it isn't through Hour 06 yet, I'll just go up to Date and select the previous time.
    Step 5) Depending on what you want to see you can click on the specific time or to loop all the times available you'll see a Check Mark under loop. You can click that to loop them all.

Default Re: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - February/March 2013

Pretty sure we will have 5 tornado outbreaks before the month is over. Kidding of course.

Any predictions for Feb.?

4. Default Re: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - February/March 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Any predictions for Feb.?
    Sun, clouds, rain, snow, hail, a tornado or two, wind...more wind...hey wind, oh and a worsening drought. Maybe some smoke and ash for good measure. Did I leave anything out?

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Sun, clouds, rain, snow, hail, a tornado or two, wind...more wind...hey wind, oh and a worsening drought. Maybe some smoke and ash for good measure. Did I leave anything out?
    Yeah, you forgot dust storms, freak meteor shower, and perhaps a massive cme that will only hit Oklahoma for some reason.

6. Default Re: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - February/March 2013

Yeah, you forgot dust storms, freak meteor shower, and perhaps a massive cme that will only hit Oklahoma for some reason.
    Karma coming back and biting us?

Karma coming back and biting us?
    Very possible haha

There is some hope for good rain next weekend. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image6.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	104.4 KB 
ID:	3294

9. Default Re: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - February/March 2013

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    There is some hope for good rain next weekend.
    Good as in "yay rain"...not so much good as in amounts. So far everything looks well under a half inch unless you get under a good storm. Still plenty of time so hopefully.

00Z GFS delays storms more into late Saturday into Sunday.

Ive noticed the ECMWF ensembles are coming more in line with the GFS ensembles. Usually it's flip flopped the other way around. Could the GFS finally decide to shine here?

11. Default Re: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - February/March 2013

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    Ive noticed the ECMWF ensembles are coming more in line with the GFS ensembles. Usually it's flip flopped the other way around. Could the GFS finally decide to shine here?
    Stop talking nonsense. :-P

"I may not be good, but at least I'm cheap" says the GFS

I have a plan, it's risky, but it might work. 1. Everyone in OKC goes to lake Hefner 2. We get a really big ass water pump 3. Get every single car in OKC 4. We wash the living piss out of them using the entire water supply. I'm telling you, the rain gods will be soooooooooooooooo mad, it will rain for year and we'll have all the water we ever ask for and then some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Default Re: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - February/March 2013

I have a plan, it's risky, but it might work. 1. Everyone in OKC goes to lake Hefner 2. We get a really big ass water pump 3. Get every single car in OKC 4. We wash the living piss out of them using the entire water supply. I'm telling you, the rain gods will be soooooooooooooooo mad, it will rain for year and we'll have all the water we ever ask for and then some!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    How about we just get a bunch of fans, point them straight up and try to create lift overhead? We just need to then get people from Houston to get fans and point them towards us to get the moisture up here...and people from Denver to help create convergence. Oh hell...let's just drop a nuke and hope for an artificial winter - without the glowing eyes.

How about we just get a bunch of fans, point them straight up and try to create lift overhead? We just need to then get people from Houston to get fans and point them towards us to get the moisture up here...and people from Denver to help create convergence. Oh hell...let's just drop a nuke and hope for an artificial winter - without the glowing eyes.
    Now you're talking!!!! lol.... We could also use haarp as well to alter the jet stream but in Mexico so the jet stream goes south. We could also crack Yellowstone and "awake" the volcano, we would get a lot of ash and a global winter that wouldn't be radioactive!!!! haha

OK, so, same-ole, same-ole. Got it.

17. Default Re: Oklahoma Weather Discussion - February/March 2013

Still hope for some decent rain this weekend, but GFS really is not wanting to push it. We'll see what happens. Chances are the heavy rain will be with any storms that develop over the area.

A side note, the GFS has alluded to this loosely but he placement keep moving. Might see a good swath of 3-6" snowfall somewhere from the Red River valley up into the Central Plains mid next week.

Is anyone else seeing this fog outside? I've been in Oklahoma going on 9 years and I can't remember seeing anything like this.

I cannot see anything more than 80 feet from my window. This is the stuff of horror movies...creepy! Hope this burns off or rush hour is going to be nasty in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by adaniel View Post
    Is anyone else seeing this fog outside? I've been in Oklahoma going on 9 years and I can't remember seeing anything like this.

I cannot see anything more than 80 feet from my window. This is the stuff of horror movies...creepy! Hope this burns off or rush hour is going to be nasty in the morning.
    (or) . . .
    it is as if the lord allowed a cloud to rest for a few moments on the hallowed ground in the vicinity of our blessed viewing location . . . =)
    (experiential note to quoted observer: i've seen it so foggy that we couldn't find our way back to the VW in which we drove and rode on the scenic overlook to boulder valley just to prove how lost we were in "the fog" we drove to the top of flagstaff mountain to actually see the cloud sitting on top of the town! . . . =[)

no kidding, no snark, no brag, just fact--regarding an amazing fog. =)

It doesn't transfer quite well to camera but yeah, it's foggy out!

damn straight: thought about attemping a shot with the bare trees in the foreground against the background of the mysteriously lighted park but . . . who cares? and the FogMeister Jim Kramer is on TV . . . =)

Check these out...

From News9 tower cam

Also, from the Sandridge Downtown cam

Too bad no one could be inside Devon right now snapping pics of the blanket of darkness...

Yeah this has happened before man . But, it was pretty bad around the time you posted it. I got up and put my dog outside to pee and started doing some homework and I went out for late night walk and I though WOW....

Quote Originally Posted by OKCisOK4me View Post
    Too bad no one could be inside Devon right now snapping pics of the blanket of darkness...
    Here is a picture of OU's campus last night as the fog set it. Beautiful but eerie. Credit to Colt Farney.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	557632_10152552430140227_1333404876_n.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	3304

Thread Information