Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How far behind has Tulsa fallen?

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: How far behind has Tulsa fallen?

Dirty like OKC? What in the world are you talking about?

As long as OKC and Tulsa keep comparing themselves to each other neither one will mature. Do you think Charlotte sits around comparing itself to Raleigh? Hell no. Atlanta is who they are chasing (although lately the have wised up that Atlanta isn't exactly a 21st century role model worth emulating).

As long as OKC and Tulsa keep comparing themselves to each other neither one will mature. Do you think Charlotte sits around comparing itself to Raleigh? Hell no. Atlanta is who they are chasing (although lately the have wised up that Atlanta isn't exactly a 21st century role model worth emulating). And this doesn't mean Dallas is a 21st century city we should be modeling ourselves after either - because truth be told, Dallas is going have a hard time adjusting to the 21st century world.

Only a few cities in the world are still building this kind of crap - and Dallas is one of them (and they do it with gusto).

I love that interchange. I think that is amazing infrastructure model that I wish OKC would start incorporating on our highways.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Dirty like OKC? What in the world are you talking about?
    I'm sure he means like gritty. Memphis isn't a trashy city -- in the sense of trash all over the place -- from my experience, but it has gritty, rundown areas that you don't tend to think of as nice, high society, destination points. Memphis is a wonderful city and I have my connections to it through the suburbs on the Mississippi side. It compares well to OKC, but has more history and more of an identity and that's not a knock on OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by MDot View Post
    I'm sure he means like gritty. Memphis isn't a trashy city -- in the sense of trash all over the place -- from my experience, but it has gritty, rundown areas that you don't tend to think of as nice, high society, destination points. Memphis is a wonderful city and I have my connections to it through the suburbs on the Mississippi side. It compares well to OKC, but has more history and more of an identity and that's not a knock on OKC.
    Agreed. Both Memphis and OKC are not what you would called "polished" cities like Dallas and Charlotte. I agree Memphis has a unique identity that OKC doesn't have. I think part of that can be blamed on the Pei Plan but not all of it. OKC is a much younger city than most major cities in this country.

For such a young city that hasn't exactly had the best of events happen to it, OKC is a pretty legit city that betters itself and grows in the right direction everyday. OKC has weathered a few pretty harsh storms better than a lot will give credit for, but a lot of the growing pains have been self inflicted. Still though, Kudos to this city and its leaders for doing what they've done so far as it makes the future that much more exciting and the day dreams will soon enough be reality if we keep up the momentum.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    As long as OKC and Tulsa keep comparing themselves to each other neither one will mature. Do you think Charlotte sits around comparing itself to Raleigh? Hell no. Atlanta is who they are chasing (although lately the have wised up that Atlanta isn't exactly a 21st century role model worth emulating).
    Amusing. It is natural for cities to look at similar or familiar cities to 'compare' or stimulate dicussion on projects. I love OKC, Tulsa ... because they are different. I lived in Raleigh 7 years, they never much wanted to be like Charlotte - larger city, smaller metro. Raleigh was part of the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chappel Hill - though Cary was bigger than Durham). The greatest growth was were the cities merged, the individual personalites were on the edges. A significant portion of the metro population lived next to the cities, but outside the boundries for tax purposes - Raleigh alone would increase by another 1/2 if surrounding non-incorporated communities built on roads that Raleigh paid for were included. They don't (Cary does) because Raleigh would have to then increase utilities to them (water, power, etc). The population of Wake county - not very large county - is greater than the county that Charlotte is in - and that does not even include Durham or other 'Triangle' counties. Having moved from Dallas TX, the 'hidden' metro of the Triangle was a shock to realize how extensive it was. Charlotte is much more centralized and traditional. So, it appears to be the largest metro in NC - but it is not, and is in a 3 way tie with the Triangle and the Triad ... they are called the Carolina Panthers for a reason (not even counting the S. Carolina cities adjacent to Charlotte). Even though GA and NC have about the same population - in NC it is spread around several metro areas - here in GA more than half is near Atlanta (Atlanta itself is smaller than OKC - metro area as big -population wise- as DFW). Charlotte is correct not to want to emulate Atlanta - look here for mistakes made and avoid them.

Tall buildings downtown don't always mean big city, if they did then Bartlesville OK would be bigger than Durham, Cary, Wilmington NC - and it's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    As long as OKC and Tulsa keep comparing themselves to each other neither one will mature. Do you think Charlotte sits around comparing itself to Raleigh? Hell no. Atlanta is who they are chasing (although lately the have wised up that Atlanta isn't exactly a 21st century role model worth emulating). And this doesn't mean Dallas is a 21st century city we should be modeling ourselves after either - because truth be told, Dallas is going have a hard time adjusting to the 21st century world.

Only a few cities in the world are still building this kind of crap - and Dallas is one of them (and they do it with gusto).

I lived just a few miles south of this interchange when it was being built - moved to Raleigh before they finished it. Can tell you one thing, Dallas does a better job of transportation than Atlanta. It has better roads, better buses, better light rail. This makes no sense as DFW in not as concentrated as Atlanta, you would think Atlanta would be better at mass trans, but it really falls short of Dallas. Of-course, Dallas is but a part of the Metro - the eastern end, Atlanta is the heart of this metro, but can not get its 'act together'. That is what counts in the end. Tulsa has naturally more going for it, more centralized, wealthier, better river, hills, lakes.... but it's leadership is more divided. So, for now, OKC is growing itself better - but time stands still for no one, this too could change.

Blog Entries

I humbly disagree that Memphis is a "cool" little city. But there a couple of great barbecue spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I humbly disagree that Memphis is a "cool" little city. But there a couple of great barbecue spots.
    Beale St alone makes it a cool little city.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    That's the purpose of opinions. There are many that disagree with you and there are many that agree with you. It's appealing to me because of its history, its nightlife, and all the pretty areas in and around the city that mix in with the grittiness of it. Also as you mentioned, they have some sweet barbecue joints.

I'm not sure why you don't find it cool, but that's your business and I totally respect that.

Tulsa-Los Angeles nonstop flights canceled; Tulsa losing flights as OKC gains | Tulsa World

This was posted in the Commercial Aviation forum. Interesting article comparing the air service of both cities. OKC is adding service, while TUL is having some trouble keeping certain routes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Beale St alone makes it a cool little city.
    Yep

Pretty much any city is cool if you know where to go.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by KilgoreTrout View Post
    Pretty much any city is cool if you know where to go.
    This. But Memphis, to me, is far from a cool city. Beale St. is cool. Memphis is not.

17. Default Re: How far behind has Tulsa fallen?

Just finished business in Memphis - and I agree with that the city itself has nothing on OKC and has a terribly inferior skyline.

But Beale is a destination on its own along with the Elvis/Graceland area.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Memphis is a neat city with lots of culture, but living there is an entirely different matter.

Lots of crime (usually in the top 5 MSA's for crime rates), unreal racial tension, and frankly a bit depressed economically. My dad's extended family is from that area and they've been trickling out for years now.

One thing I will say is Memphis has a much larger inventory of downtown residential real estate compared to OKC. It makes me so jealous to see what you can get there as I struggle here to find a condo.

The Peadbody Hotel in Downtown Memphis is a great, grand old hotel! The epitomy of old Southern hospitality. The time honored tradition of the ducks marching down the stairs into the lobby. Beale Street is fun. Lots of great BBQ. Memphis has a certain old Southern charm, however, I would have to agree that the city is a bit depressed economically. I also hear about the violent crime rates. Mud Island and the Pyramid are interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    Just finished business in Memphis - and I agree with that the city itself has nothing on OKC and has a terribly inferior skyline.

But Beale is a destination on its own along with the Elvis/Graceland area.
    Nooo...Graceland's area of town is a dump. The skyline is actually really impressive along the Mississippi River.

Blog Entries

A lot of Memphis is dirty and run-down, and frankly not very safe. The skyline from certain angles is okay but not better than Tulsa or OKC.Memphis.jpg

Had a good friend living in Memphis for a while and he hated it.

I visited a couple of times and quickly put it on my list of least desirable places to live.

Nashville is a million times better in pretty much every way.

Thread Information