Widgets Magazine

Thread: Oklahoma Journal Archive coming to OKCTalk

Default Oklahoma Journal Archive coming to OKCTalk

Working with the W.P. Atkinson foundation, OKCTalk has obtained exclusive rights to publish the entire archive of the Oklahoma Journal newspaper.

The Journal was a rival of the Oklahoman and was published between October 1, 1964 through September 30, 1980. We have all 5,000+ issues in PDF format.

We're in the process of creating a searchable index and some other work. Hopefully we'll have at least a partial library on-line in a couple of weeks.

This will be a valuable resource for Oklahoma City, Oklahoma and the entire country, as there were plenty of national stories as well.

Very excited to bring this to OKCTalk as part of our on-going commitment to be the best possible source for everything in Central Oklahoma, past, present and future.

Default Re: Oklahoma Journal Archive coming to OKCTalk

Kudos, maybe within 10 years, OKC will be the leading news provider in OKC.

That's a great resource to have. Great job, Pete!

I'll have to admit it, I threw that paper from summer '65 thru '69.

Pete, are you sure it started in October 64 or is that how far the archives go back ? I thought my brother threw the summer before I did....

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Pete, are you sure it started in October 64 or is that how far the archives go back ? I thought my brother threw the summer before I did....
    I'm quite sure it started in 1963 or 1964:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...a-1fe1425e2ffc

http://newsok.com/foundation-receive...875329/?page=2

I remember the paper being printed on a different kind of newsprint then what most newspapers used. The blacks were really bold and the ink came off on your hands easily. Am Anyone else with that memory? What a great resource for OKCTALK.

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    working with the w.p. Atkinson foundation, okctalk has obtained exclusive rights to publish the entire archive of the oklahoma journal newspaper.

The journal was a rival of the oklahoman and was published between october 1, 1964 through september 30, 1980. We have all 5,000+ issues in pdf format.

We're in the process of creating a searchable index and some other work. Hopefully we'll have at least a partial library on-line in a couple of weeks.

This will be a valuable resource for oklahoma city, oklahoma and the entire country, as there were plenty of national stories as well.

Very excited to bring this to okctalk as part of our on-going commitment to be the best possible source for everything in central oklahoma, past, present and future.

yay!

8. Default Re: Oklahoma Journal Archive coming to OKCTalk

Quote Originally Posted by zookeeper View Post
    I remember the paper being printed on a different kind of newsprint then what most newspapers used. The blacks were really bold and the ink came off on your hands easily.
    The Journal was printed by offset; the Oklahoman and Times were still using traditional web presses. At one time, the Journal was printing some inserts to be included with the Sunday Oklahoman, because the quality was better and the advertisers knew it.

Thread Information