Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sam's coming to Moore?

Default Re: Sam's coming to Moore?

Quote Originally Posted by russellc View Post
    If this is so eminent, why is there a for lease sign up?
    The part of the building that the for lease sign is on is not part of convergys, it is seperately owned by HMFIC II.

2. Default Re: Sam's coming to Moore?

Asked a few questions about this project this week, since I'm not directly involved with it, and was told the project is a go but there is some ongoing negotiations regarding the lease on the current building that are delaying things.

So to sum it up. The time frame for construction to begin is going to be a few months away. From the information I was given it could be as much as a year depending on how the negotiations on the lease go.

Article in today's Daily Oklahoman reads the Moore city council approving plans for Sam's Club at 19th and Broadway.

4. Default Re: Sam's coming to Moore?

Yeah... The final plans were submitted a couple of weeks ago. The only hold up now is the Convergys lease.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Yeah... The final plans were submitted a couple of weeks ago. The only hold up now is the Convergys lease.
    I would think the City of Moore would work to help them find new space. (New City Center/Former City of Moore Shopping Center) Cendant use to operate one in that shopping center. A new building maybe out of there reach because land is a hot commodity in Moore and I can't see using good land for a call center that will eventually close because technology will eventually eliminate the need for call centers.

Bad idea, it is going to cause more worse traffic

Quote Originally Posted by PiePie View Post
    Hopefully this might be another factor in nabbing a 34th st bridge over 35...That will make an already busy intersection crazy busy...With that said another nice grab for our fine city

Build a car dependent city and what do you expect? Any growth in Moore requires automobile use, the only way to curb traffic in Moore would be to stop development altogether at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Build a car dependent city and what do you expect? Any growth in Moore requires automobile use, the only way to curb traffic in Moore would be to stop development altogether at this point.
    Ever heard of riding bicycles?

Ever heard of riding bicycles?
    Ever try to ride a bike on 19th in Moore?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Ever try to ride a bike on 19th in Moore?
    Yup, I had no problem with it *shrugs*

This is a start to the traffic issues.

News | Moore Monthly

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    This is a start to the traffic issues.

News | Moore Monthly
    That is good news

Widen the road to six lanes; that includes the bridge and having six lane thoroughfares at the intersections. Add a median with dedicated turn lanes. I used to frequent this area, but I do not anymore. I still come here time to time and six lanes would truly help. I know a bunch of people here will be against this and bash me for saying it.

Preston road in Dallas has bad traffic during rush hour, but that's about it. It is breezed 99% of the time and esp. in Frisco near Stonebriar mall it is a breeze.

Don't think a round-a-bout would be a good fit for here. There are tons of other places that come to mind for a round-about, but not here. Doubt it will happen anyways. Just my 2 cents on it. Adding six lanes for 500ft. and then narrowing it to four lanes doesn't do any good. Edmond is doing the same thing around the new Covell development. They are widening a small portion of the road to six lanes but then it narrows right back down to four lanes. I've heard they might consider adding onto the Covell bridge that passes over I-35, but that has yet to be on the approved list of projects in Edmond.

Another thing Edmond does that it similar to Moore is their service road designs. I am not sure if ODOT is responsible for this or the city is; either way, it sucks. Here is a horrible design.

Service roads two way
    Service road and highway ramp intersect
    No dedicated uturn(causes more unnecessary traffic)
    unnecessary bends and turns which push development and causes natural slow downs in vehicle speeds for most

Here is a much better one, and I almost never experience traffic issues when I'm down there(North Dallas Tollway)

and here is the on/off ramps on the highway

They merge together instead of intersecting
    Dedicated uturn for a huge convenience
    Dedicated turn lanes to reduce through congestion

Now, in response to the future posts and bitching about the high amount of traffic on Belt Line, lets remember Dallas has twice as many people than the entire state of Oklahoma. This was likely taken on or around rush hour. Every weekend I go there, traffic is just like Shields traffic is on any given day. The traffic is also easier to navigate and flows better.

For anyone saying this will hamper development, a nearly billion dollar mall(in todays money) is sitting no more than two miles away from here; The Galleria. Intercontinental, which is arguably nicer than any hotel in OKC right now, is right along Dallas Parkway(the North Dallas Tollway service road). There is also a huge new urbanism development right behind the hotel that has a mini carnival right next to it-very cool! This highway is lined with tons of high quality and world class 20-25 towers.

Now since we are not dealing with as many people as Dallas is, the service road here only really needs to be 4 lanes(2 each direction) with room for widening. So here is my list for the area.

*Widen the service roads to 2 lanes each direction parallel with I-35
    *Widen the bridge over I-35 to six lanes with dual left turn lanes and a divided 8 ft. sidewalk on each side of the bridge with "Texas" U turns
    *Run a new 10.ft bike trail along the service road from 12th st. to Indian Hills Rd.
    *Consolidate the roads running through the developments and connect those via roundabouts
    *Redo Telephone Rd. and SW. 25th st. intersection with a roundabout
    *Redo telephone road adding bike lanes on the side, 10ft. sidewalks, 4 lanes each direction, 8ft. median and "spruce up" the nearby residential areas.
    *Continue SW 25th st. into Fritts BLVD. and make a two lane divided road with separated bike lanes and roundabouts

Also it would be cool to see something like this done

*Connect those three roads together(SW 25th, Fritts BLVD, and Willow Bend). Again, one lane each direction divided by a 5 ft. median and all intersections roundabouts. Divided bike lanes on each side of road
    Something like this:
    *and then connect those with a roundabout that looks like this

I wonder if they could create a mini canal using that creek.

Also build a 3-5 story residential complex that fronts the golf course
    Maybe something like these

Maybe we could get something that looks like this

Perhaps it might best to save this for downtown OKC I don't know.

*Redo telephone road adding bike lanes on the side, 10ft. sidewalks, 4 lanes each direction, 8ft. median and "spruce up" the nearby residential areas.
    Needed to correct this. I meant 4 lanes total, 2 lanes each direction on this road.

A lot of thought put into that^. I wish I could say the same would happen, but in reality there are far too many projects in the area happening now or need to be addressed for this to get that kind of attention. Likewise, that interchange repair and talk of a run about will have very little affect on the majority of the current traffic west of there on the east side service road and going further west over the interstate, etc.

IMO this feels like addressing (albeit late) current as well as future traffic at that intersection with the addition of vans and the new shops going in at the nw corner. I bet vans is wishing they'd have tackled this project a couple of years ago.

This is suburb we are talking about not Downtown OKC.

I think they need to try the SPUI they put in at Morgan Road or even a Diamond Interchange. I drove on a Diamond on 44 in Missouri and was very impressed with how fast you can go through it.

Blog Entries

Elements of what they did at Morgan Road I would like at 19th. But man would it mess up traffic there for a long time while they did it!

Morgan Road is night and day from what it used to be. Very nice upgrade IMO.

Here is a very rough drawing of how a single point interchange could be done.

19thand35.jpg

The service roads would need to be be rerouted and it makes sense to use the intersections at Riverwalk Dr and South Broadway since their already there. The northwest service road would end at Walmart with an upgraded road directly north of Walmart.

You can't really make the service roads one-way because lack of planning has made all of these retail establishments dependent on the service roads.

Also, there needs to be a ramp from 4th street. Its really dumb how you have to travel all the way past 19th street to go south on I-35.

Had to smile reading the last few posts about traffic. At lunch yesterday at Qdoba overheard a retailer considering a site on 19th say that the traffic on 19th was disappointingly light.

Guess whether there is a traffic problem or not is in the eye of the beholder

Quote Originally Posted by flintysooner View Post
    Had to smile reading the last few posts about traffic. At lunch yesterday at Qdoba overheard a retailer considering a site on 19th say that the traffic on 19th was disappointingly light.

Guess whether there is a traffic problem or not is in the eye of the beholder
    Depends where on 19th street. Its bad between Telephone and Broadway. It would make it easier for people to feel motivate to go to a business on the other side of the interstate if those intersections flowed more smoothly.

Its easier to travel to all the stores west of Telephone if your coming from the west.

Thread Information