Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sam's coming to Moore?

Default Sam's coming to Moore?

Was wondering if anyone else saw the mention in Saturdays business section regarding a future Sam's club? The article was in reference to WalMart slowing down on grocery store openings etc.

2. Default Re: Sam's coming to Moore?

“Despite our current wave of grocery expansion, Walmart isn't ready to give up market share. It has planned, or has under way, eight new stores for the Oklahoma City metro area. These include two new Sam's Clubs, at Fox Lake in Edmond and on 149th street (near) Moore. Four new Walmart Neighborhood Markets are planned and two new Walmart Supercenters, one of which is under construction in Choctaw.”
    Price Edwards & Co. reports on retail property in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com

Default Re: Sam's coming to Moore?

I wonder if it will be in OKC proper or Moore proper? The article mentioned 149th street which would be OKC.... Would be good to recover some tax revenue that we are leaking to Moore.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I wonder if it will be in OKC proper or Moore proper? The article mentioned 149th street which would be OKC.... Would be good to recover some tax revenue that we are leaking to Moore.
    I wonder with all the retail that is planned on i-44 between s.w 59th all the way to 104th that the sams club might be built on i-44 and a 149th. It makes since, that area is about to pop with restaurants, hotels and retail that is already in the works

Yeah, wondered that myself. Lived in S. OKC all my life, and always get a little frustrated that people don't seem to understand at a civic level that 149th can't be Moore, because Moore doesn't have a "149th." The overlap of Moore schools up to 82nd in OKC surely is part of that "border obscurity," but its still frustrating. I tell people where I live, and if they say, "oh, that's Moore, right" I politely correct them and say "no, I live in Oklahoma City," not because I dislike Moore or anything, but because I don't live in Moore - any more than I live in, say, Yukon, or Edmond, or Pauls Valley.

Heck, I've even gotten into mild debates with people who try to tell me SW 89th is "Moore.."

Quote Originally Posted by soonerliberal View Post
    Price Edwards & Co. reports on retail property in Oklahoma City | NewsOK.com

“Despite our current wave of grocery expansion, Walmart isn't ready to give up market share. It has planned, or has under way, eight new stores for the Oklahoma City metro area. These include two new Sam's Clubs, at Fox Lake in Edmond and on 149th street (near) Moore. Four new Walmart Neighborhood Markets are planned and two new Walmart Supercenters, one of which is under construction in Choctaw.”

Please, dear little baby Jesus let the second one be planned for Hwy. 9 and 77 in Norman... (fingers crossed)

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaSooner View Post
    Please, dear little baby Jesus let the second one be planned for Hwy. 9 and 77 in Norman... (fingers crossed)
    Great post: evokes Ricky Bobby and PWT!

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    I wonder with all the retail that is planned on i-44 between s.w 59th all the way to 104th that the sams club might be built on i-44 and a 149th. It makes since, that area is about to pop with restaurants, hotels and retail that is already in the works
    If they do, I hope it's not on JR's golf course.

If they do, I hope it's not on JR's golf course.
    I asked about it on the city of moores facebook page and the response was "Exact plans for this store are yet to be confirmed. Our Economic Development Department has been working with this project for some time now and we are optimistic. As soon as the company makes their location known, we will provide that information. Stay tuned!!"

So to me it sounds like its going off 19th street probably around fritts farm area or the area by were they are planning on removing/relocating the trailer park

Why would they say 149th though? If its 149th I would say its going to go on I-44. Anywhere west of Santa Fe and east of May would seem kind of odd.
    Must be the case where they know they want to build one, but they don't know where exactly. There use to be one on 1-35 a long time ago where jc-penny's is now.

Because 149th is the same street as 19th...

Was probably just speaking off the top of his mind and wasn't being very specific.

If you read the entire Price Edwards report referenced in the article you'll find on Page 14 - "2012 Year-End Oklahoma City Retail Market Summary Moore-Norman Submarket" - the following:
    The Moore development is set to add a Hemisphere's store in 2013 and, rumored at this point, a new Sam's Club.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22
    Because 149th is the same street as 19th...
    i think you mean stella road... :P -M

Quote Originally Posted by mmm View Post
    i think you mean stella road... :P -M
    I love it that the intersection of SE 149th and Choctaw Road has signs up that indicate it's also the intersection of NE 120th and Stella Road.
    I just smirk. I know it's really 19th St! I do get confused when I drive down Sooner Road but can only find 12th St in Norman. Thank goodness Sunnylane is named the same thing all the way from Classen and Porter to Coltrane!

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    I love it that the intersection of SE 149th and Choctaw Road has signs up that indicate it's also the intersection of NE 120th and Stella Road.
    I just smirk. I know it's really 19th St! I do get confused when I drive down Sooner Road but can only find 12th St in Norman. Thank goodness Sunnylane is named the same thing all the way from Classen and Porter to Coltrane!
    The road name changes onthe same roads are confusing as heck in this metro. Eastern to toby keith back to eastern then martin luther king. wish main roads would be kept the same name when it goes into multi cities in the metro.

SoonerDave,
    When you have Fairview, a Moore school on 89th, and the middle school, plus Kingsgate, Houchin, and a couple of others it's pretty easy to assume it's "Moore", but the fact(?) is, it's Cleveland County and education is provided by the county that we reside in. I knew that 82nd was the border for OKC/Moore schools, but didn't think about the fact that they were also in Cleveland county. Is that where the line is? I suppose it must be. My wife worked for Moore schools (school nurse) and was responsible for five schools and they were all in OKC.
    C. T.
    p.s. I placed the "?" next to the word "fact" because I wouldn't bet my life on it. Does the county line really begin at 82nd?
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Yeah, wondered that myself. Lived in S. OKC all my life, and always get a little frustrated that people don't seem to understand at a civic level that 149th can't be Moore, because Moore doesn't have a "149th." The overlap of Moore schools up to 82nd in OKC surely is part of that "border obscurity," but its still frustrating. I tell people where I live, and if they say, "oh, that's Moore, right" I politely correct them and say "no, I live in Oklahoma City," not because I dislike Moore or anything, but because I don't live in Moore - any more than I live in, say, Yukon, or Edmond, or Pauls Valley.

Heck, I've even gotten into mild debates with people who try to tell me SW 89th is "Moore.."

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    SoonerDave,
    When you have Fairview, a Moore school on 89th, and the middle school, plus Kingsgate, Houchin, and a couple of others it's pretty easy to assume it's "Moore", but the fact(?) is, it's Cleveland County and education is provided by the county that we reside in. I knew that 82nd was the border for OKC/Moore schools, but didn't think about the fact that they were also in Cleveland county. Is that where the line is? I suppose it must be. My wife worked for Moore schools (school nurse) and was responsible for five schools and they were all in OKC.
    C. T.
    p.s. I placed the "?" next to the word "fact" because I wouldn't bet my life on it. Does the county line really begin at 82nd?
    Nope. The Oklahoma-Cleveland County border is 89th street. Fairview, on the north side of 89th, resides in Oklahoma County. Kingsgate, Houchin, Sky Ranch, Red Oak, etc., are all in Cleveland County, but they're all Oklahoma City addresses. Westmoore is in OKC as well. Southmoore, OTOH, has a Moore address. I'm making purely a guess that at least part of it is due to the fact that Moore, as the story goes, actively opposed/fought the annexation craze OKC went on back in the 50's/60's, and eventually OKC gave up the fight. The result is Moore now sits quite literally on SW OKC's doorstep, with a thriving school system that's drawn more than a few folks out of the OKC district as a result...but that's a thread for a different day, I s'pose.

You've also hit indirectly on a bit of a sore spot. Its been a long time since I drilled through all the details, but that oddity of the Moore district going as far north as 82nd creates a weird "bermuda triangle" for property taxes, where I think there's a double-hit that goes into Moore and OKC coffers if you live in just the right spot. I also recall knowing there was nothing I could do about it, so didn't remember the details, but I know my folks groused about it, too, and that was a loong time ago.

Don't know the exact genesis of Fairview being a Moore school, or why the district goes as far up in OKC as it does. Heck, if you go just a little bit farther north and west, you end up in the Western Heights district...

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Nope. The Oklahoma-Cleveland County border is 89th street. Fairview, on the north side of 89th, resides in Oklahoma County. Kingsgate, Houchin, Sky Ranch, Red Oak, etc., are all in Cleveland County, but they're all Oklahoma City addresses. Westmoore is in OKC as well. Southmoore, OTOH, has a Moore address. I'm making purely a guess that at least part of it is due to the fact that Moore, as the story goes, actively opposed/fought the annexation craze OKC went on back in the 50's/60's, and eventually OKC gave up the fight. The result is Moore now sits quite literally on SW OKC's doorstep, with a thriving school system that's drawn more than a few folks out of the OKC district as a result...but that's a thread for a different day, I s'pose.

You've also hit indirectly on a bit of a sore spot. Its been a long time since I drilled through all the details, but that oddity of the Moore district going as far north as 82nd creates a weird "bermuda triangle" for property taxes, where I think there's a double-hit that goes into Moore and OKC coffers if you live in just the right spot. I also recall knowing there was nothing I could do about it, so didn't remember the details, but I know my folks groused about it, too, and that was a loong time ago.

Don't know the exact genesis of Fairview being a Moore school, or why the district goes as far up in OKC as it does. Heck, if you go just a little bit farther north and west, you end up in the Western Heights district...
    I live in moore and dont really understand why Moore schools are in Oklahoma City. the new Elementry school that is going to be built this year is going in on portland and I believe 134th. To me that is way to far from moore actual borders. I dont get it, I guess what someone said earlier that it is a county thing, but why call it moore schools if its almost 4-5 miles away from the towms borders

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseda View Post
    I live in moore and dont really understand why Moore schools are in Oklahoma City. the new Elementry school that is going to be built this year is going in on portland and I believe 134th. To me that is way to far from moore actual borders. I dont get it, I guess what someone said earlier that it is a county thing, but why call it moore schools if its almost 4-5 miles away from the towms borders
    The Moore school district extends from the Mustang district boundry on the west to the Bethel school district boundry on the east. And on the north from approx 82nd street to Franklin road on the south. That means Bob Stoops kids should go to a Moore school, but, I'm sure strings can be pulled to remedy that. His new house is between Indian Hills and Franklin road. That is probably a discussion for another thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    The Moore school district extends from the Mustang district boundry on the west to the Bethel school district boundry on the east. And on the north from approx 82nd street to Franklin road on the south. That means Bob Stoops kids should go to a Moore school, but, I'm sure strings can be pulled to remedy that. His new house is between Indian Hills and Franklin road. That is probably a discussion for another thread.
    Moore SD would actually run up against Little Axe and McLoud before it touched Bethel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubya61 View Post
    Moore SD would actually run up against Little Axe and McLoud before it touched Bethel.
    You may be right, but, I believe those are north and south of the Moore district.

I sure would enjoy a Sam's coming to this area. It seems like there is kind of a gap between the one in Norman and the one off of I-40.

Quote Originally Posted by SOONER8693 View Post
    That means Bob Stoops kids should go to a Moore school, but, I'm sure strings can be pulled to remedy that. His new house is between Indian Hills and Franklin road. That is probably a discussion for another thread.
    Bob Stoops' kids go to a private school.

Quote Originally Posted by LovableGoober View Post
    Bob Stoops' kids go to a private school.
    Absolutely untrue, I know for a fact. The boys (twins) go to Whittier Middle School and the daughter goes to Norman North High School.

Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie View Post
    Absolutely untrue, I know for a fact. The boys (twins) go to Whittier Middle School and the daughter goes to Norman North High School.
    I believe you are correct. The new house is however, in the Moore school district.

Thread Information