Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 33 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

1. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

I know Karen Karney (sp?) use to be on here a bunch. So if she is still trolling in the shadows, has the airport done any promotion for the Southwest to Orlando flight? Considering how poorly Florida normally does, you would think there would be a good deal of promotion taking place. Not that the airport authority does much to promote air service here. LOL

2. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

I am taking the Orlando flight in late march. Im looking forward to it but not looking forward to getting in at 9pm on the direct flight.

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

Why do they advertise our service so little? Cost? Poor leadership?

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Why do they advertise our service so little? Cost? Poor leadership?
    The city probably places a higher priority for any money to attempt bringing people in to spend money here, not people here spend their money in other cities.

The city has a nonstop service marketing plan for new air service to either coast. I don't think this qualified due to not being year round service.

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    I know Karen Karney (sp?) use to be on here a bunch. So if she is still trolling in the shadows, has the airport done any promotion for the Southwest to Orlando flight? Considering how poorly Florida normally does, you would think there would be a good deal of promotion taking place. Not that the airport authority does much to promote air service here. LOL
    What kind of promotions would you suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    For Cleveland, Midway, and San Francisco, the airport tapped into the nonstop marketing assistance fund to help promote the service on radio, billboards, internet, as well as on the flyokc website and on display monitors throughout the airport. United and Southwest qualified because the markets were new nonstop markets, with scheduled daily year round service.

8. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

Well they could at least do a local press release to get it on the news. There was nothing when Orlando was announced. Just basic awareness. If they want the route to be anything more than seasonal, you need to promote the heck out of it now to show strong loads. They haven't done it and it is showing.

Well they could at least do a local press release to get it on the news. There was nothing when Orlando was announced. Just basic awareness. If they want the route to be anything more than seasonal, you need to promote the heck out of it now to show strong loads. They haven't done it and it is showing.
    That might help but, for some reason, I just don't see the demand being other than seasonal even with more promotion. If someone wants to fly to Orlando it doesn't much effort to find the nonstop flight first.

10. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

That might help but, for some reason, I just don't see the demand being other than seasonal even with more promotion. If someone wants to fly to Orlando it doesn't much effort to find the nonstop flight first.
    I'm looking a bit further than just MCO. It brings in some other destinations that aren't accessible from an easier point - SJU being one.

I'm looking a bit further than just MCO. It brings in some other destinations that aren't accessible from an easier point - SJU being one.
    Maybe, but it's not like OKC doesn't have a number of one stop options to SJU.

12. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

Maybe, but it's not like OKC doesn't have a number of one stop options to SJU.
    True...but it is about growing options on another carrier instead of feeding things through existing. I guess just different POVs where I'm looking it from a perspective of wanting to maximize opportunities and grow. Whereas many see OKC a mature market and just go with it.

True...but it is about growing options on another carrier instead of feeding things through existing. I guess just different POVs where I'm looking it from a perspective of wanting to maximize opportunities and grow. Whereas many see OKC a mature market and just go with it.
    I understand what you're saying and don't neccessarily disagree although I don't quite understand about SJU through Orlando being an easier point. I was discussing it more from the way a consumer would view the situation. As long as the traveler can get a good price at the right flight time it's usually not that important what the routing is. Being a frequent flyer of a particular airline can certainly influence that decision also.

I know this isn't OK related,but had to post. This is from Wichita earlier when a United flight landed in ICT and then was taxing to the terminal. First off, why on earth would the tower put in on a taxiway covered in this much snow? Where were the plows? Why are people shoveling by hand? Im hoping the plows came out and thus the only hand shoveling was about 10-15 feet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BDqz0aECMAAx0FV.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	3373

15. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

This should answer your question partly:

Source: 9news Wichita

Once on the ground, Mid-Continent Airport officials say the pilot took a wrong turn on an unplowed taxiway and got stuck in snow.
    Airports can't plow every single taxiway (or even runway in some cases). But they keep designated taxiways and runways as clear as possible. It's similar to a city clearing snow routes first. Of course when you're dealing with 2 inches of snowfall an hour it's kind of difficult to do even that.

So A) What was the pilot thinking here turning on to a taxiway that he clearly could not see & B) Was the tower watching the plane. Certainly someone in the tower would have noticed the plane veering off target and said, " hey Skywest, whatcha doing" or C) how far into the snow did the plane travel? Would it have been feasible to have the pilot push back to where he just came from or do a reverse thrust backwards to get back onto better ground.?? So many questions... and D) how hard would it have been to bring a snowplow near this plane and plow some of the snow away since there was clearly a problem?

17. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    So A) What was the pilot thinking here turning on to a taxiway that he clearly could not see & B) Was the tower watching the plane. Certainly someone in the tower would have noticed the plane veering off target and said, " hey Skywest, whatcha doing" or C) how far into the snow did the plane travel? Would it have been feasible to have the pilot push back to where he just came from or do a reverse thrust backwards to get back onto better ground.?? So many questions... and D) how hard would it have been to bring a snowplow near this plane and plow some of the snow away since there was clearly a problem?
    A) Probably most likely. Case of snow blindness at the wrong time? Of course there are 2 up front for a reason, so failure on both.

B) Tower likely isn't going to be doing consistent ground following. More than likely wasn't enough time.

C) FOD is going to be a concern tossing it in reverse with some much snow and ice piled up.

D) "Hey insurance company, can we take this big ass blow next to the $30 million airplane?"

18. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

^You mean "plow".

19. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

Quote Originally Posted by OUman View Post
    ^You mean "plow".
    I really need to stop posting after hours of coding and little sleep.

WELCOME TO WILL ROGERS WORLD AIRPORT WEBSITE

http://flyokc.com/NonstopFlights.aspx

21. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

LOL...I guess we just need to whine a bit more to get something done. Even if it is a quickly thrown together MS Paint graphic. LOL

HangryHippo Guest

Did the DOT ever decide on the slots at DCA that were between Southwest and US Air?

Not yet. Should be any day now.

In the construction project status report in the Feb 2013 airport trust meeting, the report mentions a "200 foot extension of Rwy 17L/35R." I am wondering if this is a typo, because I believe the master plan calls for a 2,200 foot extension. A 200 foot extension of a 9,800 foot runway is pointless...

Under the East Side Development Environmental Study & Other AIP Projects:
    http://okc.gov/AgendaPub/view.aspx?c...fileid=1817835

25. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

It would have to be a typo...I hope. I'm also kinda shocked how long we've made it with runways under 10k feet here. We aren't very high up, but the summers get very hot that make for interesting take off rolls.

Thread Information