Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

1. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Frontier has some great deals. I wonder if they would ever merge with Alaska? They could dominate the west coast and mountain region, and still be a low cost airline with international service to Mexico and the Caribbean.
    Zero value for Alaska. They already control the West Coast for the most part. Buying Frontier would put them into the 3-way hub battle in DEN which makes no sense. Alaska is also very stringent on being all Boeing, so the aircraft from F9 would be worthless. Spirit probably makes the most sense for a potential acquirer.

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Zero value for Alaska. They already control the West Coast for the most part. Buying Frontier would put them into the 3-way hub battle in DEN which makes no sense. Alaska is also very stringent on being all Boeing, so the aircraft from F9 would be worthless. Spirit probably makes the most sense for a potential acquirer.
    Spirit and Frontier would be a nice combination. I also like the idea of Southwest and Alaska.

In other "non-merger" news, United's OKC-CLE flight started today. Anyone have pics of the ribbon cutting or anything of the such?

FlightAware ? ExpressJet (EV) #4429 Flight Tracker

Cellphone shot from the ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOne View Post
    Spirit and Frontier would be a nice combination. I also like the idea of Southwest and Alaska.
    Too bad F9 didn't merge with Southwest when they had the chance. That might look better now, and they could stop doubling up at DEN and keep the intl. flights. Fares from OKC would go up though.

6. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Too bad F9 didn't merge with Southwest when they had the chance. That might look better now, and they could stop doubling up at DEN and keep the intl. flights. Fares from OKC would go up though.
    if WN bought F9 it would have just been to eliminate competition and move on. Likely wouldn't see anything different...especially since the A319s would have all been parked ASAP.

7. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

And just FYI, Dash 8's have already been at OKC-first by Colgan (to/from IAH) and now by Republic (to/from DEN).

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    In other "non-merger" news, United's OKC-CLE flight started today. Anyone have pics of the ribbon cutting or anything of the such?
    I had a sales rep from Cleveland in my office on Tuesday. He didn't know we were going to have the nonstops and was very pleased to hear about it. I'm going to a Chamber breakfast Friday morning for a presentation on the new service.

New United Express service between CLE and OKC

Posted February 14, 2013

Today, we launched new service from CLE to OKC (Oklahoma City, Okla.), bringing United’s roster of destinations from CLE to more than 60. The flight will join BNA (Nashville, Tenn.) as United’s second new service from CLE since December. ExpressJet will operate the service using Embraer ERJ-145 regional jet aircraft.

Both stations held celebrations, including remarks from CLE Director of Regional Sales Evan Koppel at CLE and United Express Managing Director John Aynes at OKC.

All eight of our domestic hubs now serve OKC. “This new service recognizes the growing business ties between Cleveland and Oklahoma City, including significant interests in energy,” Evan said. OKC is a leading petroleum industry center and Northeast Ohio has a growing energy sector.

“As an Oklahoma City native, I’m especially pleased that United is adding CLE to the list of hubs we serve from OKC,” John said. “The new service will not only provide an important link between two vibrant energy regions, but will also give Oklahoma City travelers access to more than 30 other destinations with convenient connections from the Cleveland hub.”

We also launched IAD to FAY (Fayetteville, N.C.) and ORD to YQT (Thunder Bay, Ontario) on Thursday. Be on the lookout for more route announcements.
    xx

At the breakfast that I attended this morning Mark Kranenburg and Karen Carney asked for our input on additional service requests for when she goes into talks soon with United. The consensus seemed to be for either a larger plane or additional service into Newark.

It's on the horizon. E170 is what I have heard.

12. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

United has done well for OKC, I must say.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    It's on the horizon. E170 is what I have heard.
    There were a cadre of reps from United at the meeting and, if that's so, they certainly didn't say anything.

14. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    There were a cadre of reps from United at the meeting and, if that's so, they certainly didn't say anything.
    I wouldn't expect them to say a word to random people at a meeting. Changes like that are usually going to be kept quiet. Though if a new A/C type is coming, ground crews might get a heads up to prepare for them.

I wouldn't expect them to say a word to random people at a meeting. Changes like that are usually going to be kept quiet. Though if a new A/C type is coming, ground crews might get a heads up to prepare for them.
    I agree and didn't expect they would make any big announcements at a meeting like that. I'm not a random person though. LOL
    The meeting specifically was about the new service to Cleveland and those invited have been involved with air travel in OKC for many years.

16. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    I agree and didn't expect they would make any big announcements at a meeting like that. I'm not a random person though. LOL
    The meeting specifically was about the new service to Cleveland and those invited have been involved with air travel in OKC for many years.
    Well outside of the airline itself. Granted airline employees like to gossip at times too with each other, so that helps to spread leaks. LOL

17. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

Nice to see EWR flights still "alive"-enough to possibly get a larger aircraft.

How were the loads on the 1st few flights to CLE?

Not at liberty to discuss details such as that, sorry.

20. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

Friday's loads were just under 50% 22/50 on the inbound 21/50 on the outbound. The outbound may have been higher but the flight was delayed an hour and 45 minutes, so some passengers may have been booked on other flights to make connections.

I was on the original flight to Cleveland several years ago when CO tried it the first time. There were six of us on that flight. We had all you could eat muffins on that flight since it was catered for a full load.

It does take time for routes to develop and the market to mature...

Future bookings look optimistic.

22. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    It does take time for routes to develop and the market to mature...

Future bookings look optimistic.
    For sure. By the time CO cut the CLE route, it was regularly seeing loads >70% and there were two flights a day.

23. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

Quote Originally Posted by chrisok View Post
    Friday's loads were just under 50% 22/50 on the inbound 21/50 on the outbound. The outbound may have been higher but the flight was delayed an hour and 45 minutes, so some passengers may have been booked on other flights to make connections.

I was on the original flight to Cleveland several years ago when CO tried it the first time. There were six of us on that flight. We had all you could eat muffins on that flight since it was catered for a full load.
    One thing to keep in mind is the reason for the flight - fill demand by oil companies needed to go back and forth. While the loads were sub-50% from what chris is pointing out, the yields will probably make it profitable. We'll knows here in just under a year when the DOT has the figures and the financials are all public.

One thing to keep in mind is the reason for the flight - fill demand by oil companies needed to go back and forth. While the loads were sub-50% from what chris is pointing out, the yields will probably make it profitable. We'll knows here in just under a year when the DOT has the figures and the financials are all public.
    You're right, venture. The business travelers don't book the advance purchase low price fares and, hence, are much more profitable for the airlines.

Devon, Chesapeake, and Gulfport Energy have been aggressively acquiring acreage in Ohio for some time. I actually know 2 landmen (chums from college) who back and forth quite a bit to that area. I think the flight capacity will fill in nicely.

Thread Information