Widgets Magazine
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 282930313233

Thread: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

1. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

I'm still tweaking the numbers to find a happy medium (since system CASM doesn't really translate well to single route CASM). Here is an early look of where Kansas City via Southwest was operating at for January...

DIRECT CITY CARRIER MO YR FLTS_PL FLTS_AC SEATS PAX LF MKT_SHR AVG_FARE DIST CASM FUEL_EST COST REV_EST EST_PL
    Origin Kansas City Southwest 1 2013 58 58 8032 2737 34% 97.30% $ 146.65 313 $ 0.0826 $ 0.0500 $ 466,701.93 $ 401,381.05 $ (65,320.88)

2. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

Expect some changes to the American schedule starting in August. Parker's team released today that they are scrapping the "rolling hub" strategy that American has used and going back to banked hubs. The Ex-US hubs (PHL/CLT/PHX) are already banked so this will mainly impact DFW, ORD, and MIA.

Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    Expect some changes to the American schedule starting in August. Parker's team released today that they are scrapping the "rolling hub" strategy that American has used and going back to banked hubs. The Ex-US hubs (PHL/CLT/PHX) are already banked so this will mainly impact DFW, ORD, and MIA.
    It may not be related to the merger but AA has had an avalanche of schedule changes during the last 10 days. Some of the changes have been significant.

Quote Originally Posted by venture View Post
    For us laymen, can you explain the difference between a "rolling hub" and a "banked hub" and how it might affect OKC?

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    It may not be related to the merger but AA has had an avalanche of schedule changes during the last 10 days. Some of the changes have been significant.
    Do you mind sharing?

Quote Originally Posted by rayhurst View Post
    For us laymen, can you explain the difference between a "rolling hub" and a "banked hub" and how it might affect OKC?
    Banked hubs are structured this way: xxx-DFW (1-2 hour gap during which terminals are packed, airport is busy), then DFW-xxx. So inbound flights are coordinated to arrive around the same time, then the outbounds. This allows airlines to maximize connectivity through a hub. Rolling hubs don't have as coordinated an inbound-outbound schedule, so connecting times can be staggered throughout the day. From what I understand this works better at congested hubs like ORD where gate space is at a premium. But then again I think DFW is also considered a rolling hub - but that may be because AA has the gates and slots to maximize frequencies to wherever they want.

7. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Banked hubs are structured this way: xxx-DFW (1-2 hour gap during which terminals are packed, airport is busy), then DFW-xxx. So inbound flights are coordinated to arrive around the same time, then the outbounds. This allows airlines to maximize connectivity through a hub. Rolling hubs don't have as coordinated an inbound-outbound schedule, so connecting times can be staggered throughout the day. From what I understand this works better at congested hubs like ORD where gate space is at a premium. But then again I think DFW is also considered a rolling hub - but that may be because AA has the gates and slots to maximize frequencies to wherever they want.
    Nailed it. Yes...DFW is also a rolling hub still, even though frequencies are pretty high to quite a few destinations. It'll be interesting to see what happens at ORD, even though they still have delays as soon as a cloud appears.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Do you mind sharing?
    That isn't possible. That was my observation based on the many changes they sent to me for a multitude of customers. I don't have a list of all of the changes, but trust me, it was a lot. The biggest problem is that they use computers to advise of schedule changes to existing reservations and, many times, it can results in missed connections or extremely long layovers when other more logical schedules are available. It is a real headache because each one must be corrected with a call to the airline.

Thread Information