Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

Quote Originally Posted by venture79 View Post
    Many of these routes wouldn't be possible without the 50-seat RJs. Of course the biggest problem is that the 50-seat RJ didn't stick to the initial niche it was meant for. Fuel prices though are pushing them out and hopefully we'll see more of the sub 70 seat market go to the newer generation of props to help costs.
    I'd rather have the latest, greatest props over the CRJs. They're just extremely uncomfortable to fly in. But the routes are doing fairly well if so many are looking at additional flights or larger aircraft. That's good for us.

nevermind

I'd love to see some more mainline aircraft, they are much more efficient than their regional counterparts.

On a 1-1.5 hour stage length, a 737-900 (167 seats) may load 14,600-17,800lbs of fuel. at 6.7 lbs per gallon that comes out to 13.05-15.91 gallons per passenger on a full flight. A 50 seat ERJ would typically load 6400-7800 lbs of fuel. At a density of 6.7 lb/gal would be 19.10 to 23.28 gallons per passenger. Usually the flights would use about half to 2/3 of the fuel at most for that length of flight.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    I'd love to see some more mainline aircraft, they are much more efficient than their regional counterparts.

On a 1-1.5 hour stage length, a 737-900 (167 seats) may load 14,600-17,800lbs of fuel. at 6.7 lbs per gallon that comes out to 13.05-15.91 gallons per passenger on a full flight. A 50 seat ERJ would typically load 6400-7800 lbs of fuel. At a density of 6.7 lb/gal would be 19.10 to 23.28 gallons per passenger. Usually the flights would use about half to 2/3 of the fuel at most for that length of flight.
    Out of curiosity how much fuel would a 70 passenger turbo consume?

Don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but going off of memory. But for a 1.5-2 hour stage length at 71 passengers on a Dash 8 Q400 you are looking at around 13.45 to 16.39 gallons per passenger. An ERJ (full at 50 seats) on a 1.5-2 hour stage length would run about 23.28 to 25.67.

Catch22

“we are finally reaching the point where smaller communities are trying to connect to us”

The above quote is part of a comment you made on the High-speed rail to link Tulsa/OKC/Dallas and more thread.

Do you think there could ever be a point in the future that we could also see this happening in air service to OKC. It would be great to see a name and logo on a commuter airline offering service to and from OKC to places like Garden City, Ks ? Maybe even offering service to Albuquerque and New Orleans.

7. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    Catch22

“we are finally reaching the point where smaller communities are trying to connect to us”

The above quote is part of a comment you made on the High-speed rail to link Tulsa/OKC/Dallas and more thread.

Do you think there could ever be a point in the future that we could also see this happening in air service to OKC. It would be great to see a name and logo on a commuter airline offering service to and from OKC to places like Garden City, Ks ? Maybe even offering service to Albuquerque and New Orleans.
    I'm sure Catch22 will add his point of view on this. I could definitely see the ability to utilize an aircraft like the ATR-72-600 in a Southwest-style network. I don't have the market numbers with me right now, but off the top of my head I would think a flight or two a day would work to: ABQ, COS, AUS, SAT, CRP, MSY, MEM, and BKG.

I'm sure Catch22 will add his point of view on this. I could definitely see the ability to utilize an aircraft like the ATR-72-600 in a Southwest-style network. I don't have the market numbers with me right now, but off the top of my head I would think a flight or two a day would work to: ABQ, COS, AUS, SAT, CRP, MSY, MEM, and BKG.
    BKG ? Not familiar with BKG and my FAA code search did not return any results.

Also just noticed that my fingers and eyes were not in sync, Meant to say in my original post that it would be great to see the Great Plains name and logo back. Shame they weren't better operators

Quote Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
    BKG ? Not familiar with BKG and my FAA code search did not return any results.

Also just noticed that my fingers and eyes were not in sync, Meant to say in my original post that it would be great to see the Great Plains name and logo back. Shame they weren't better operators
    BKG is Branson, Missouri.

In a rare moment in history I forgot to bring my lunch to work this morning so I had Sonic in the terminal.

They've dramatically improved their wait times by reducing their menu down to several items. This allows them to keep a steady pace by not having many special items consuming kitchen time.

Good job.

And also a first for me. My wait time was about 4 minutes for food, despite a large line. And my food was so hot I couldn't eat it for several minutes.

Dramatic change from the "Sub-sonic" I am used to.

Per airport trust: Smoking room in the central terminal will be closed effective 1 sep 2013

Per airport trust: awarding construction contract to Pteris Global for the construction of the checked baggage inspection facility. The current setup underneath the terminal is 7 individual and separated baggage inspection points -- one for each airline. Very inefficient setup as TSA has to staff each loop per the individual airlines.

The new setup will funnel all bags to a single checkpoint for screening, and then an automated sorting system will send the bag to the individual airlines bagroom belts under the terminal. Bags that get missorted will be sent to a "junk" belt where airlines will check before a flight leaves to see if any of their bags got missorted.

14. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

Per airport trust: Smoking room in the central terminal will be closed effective 1 sep 2013
    Did they mention a replacement at all? Granted that room is disgusting, but there are plenty of smokers who travel and our security lines aren't always quick if they need to go outside the terminal doors.

Did they mention a replacement at all? Granted that room is disgusting, but there are plenty of smokers who travel and our security lines aren't always quick if they need to go outside the terminal doors.
    It's to comply with health laws.

In 2003 it was made that all public buildings were to remove smoking rooms. This did not include public buildings operated by trusts. Recently it was expanded to include trust operated public buildings.

I think the employee smoke room underneath the West concourse walkway connection to the main terminal will remain, but that is not open to the public.

That is true of most airports and the smokers have to adjust to that situation.

17. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    That is true of most airports and the smokers have to adjust to that situation.
    You would be shocked how many airports actually have smoking lounges inside but it is operated alongside a restaurant that requires people to at least purchase a beverage. Granted I don't smoke, so I don't really care. If anything this will push more to the e-cig thing, which I don't believe falls under any inside smoking ban.

You would be shocked how many airports actually have smoking lounges inside but it is operated alongside a restaurant that requires people to at least purchase a beverage. Granted I don't smoke, so I don't really care. If anything this will push more to the e-cig thing, which I don't believe falls under any inside smoking ban.
    It seems unlikely to expect e-cigs will be allowed where cigarette are banned.

Count me as not being shocked, venture. I'm very familiar with airports and, as an ex-smoker, I used to be very interested in smoking area availability. It is still, however, not easy to find smoking areas within an airport building within the United States.

20. Default Re: Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    It seems unlikely to expect e-cigs will be allowed where cigarette are banned.
    I actually was curious and didn't find many places that tagged e-cigs on with their public smoking bans. Seattle was the one notable place that did. Regardless...this is well off topic now, so we can move this to another thread if needed. LOL

Looks like the Route 66 grill in the west concourse also went thru some menu changes. More of a actual sit down food. Breakfast is a better menu (French toast, biscuits and gravy, etc.) instead of generic breakfast sandwiches.

Was looking up in the sky around 640 in NE OKC and saw what I thought was an AA CRJ-700 in new AA paint scheme coming into OKC. Can anyone confirm this? or am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    Was looking up in the sky around 640 in NE OKC and saw what I thought was an AA CRJ-700 in new AA paint scheme coming into OKC. Can anyone confirm this? or am I wrong?
    I see them here quite often. Daily occurrence almost.

I see them here quite often. Daily occurrence almost.
    Sounds like AA3011 inbound from ORD! The new paint has grown on me. Looks much better in real life.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Sounds like AA3011 inbound from ORD! The new paint has grown on me. Looks much better in real life.
    I really like their new take on the eagle and the silver and new logo is really nice, but that tail design is horrendous. Just has got to go.

Thread Information